Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of the disk

In summary: In simple terms, it is a way of describing a system in which all the forces and moments are combined. In this case, the forces are the centrifugal force and the gravitational force on the object, and the moment is the perpendicular distance between the axis of rotation and the line of action of the force.
MPavsic
<< Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

I have mind boggling problem, trying to distinguish between Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of thin hoop.

Problem: A thin, hoop of mass m and radius r spins at the constant rate ω 1 about an axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, which rotates at the constant rate ω 2. The mass of spokes and spindle are negligible.

1. Determine Coriolis acceleration of point P at the edge of the hoop, when point P is aligned with vertical axis of the rod.

2. Determine acceleration produced by gyroscopic couple of the hoop on axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, where support of the axle by the rod equals to radius of point P on each side of the hoop.

To solve Coriolis I am using equation ac = 2 omega1 omega2 *r.

To solve acceleration of gyroscopic couple I am using C = I omega1 omega2 / r, where mass to compute inertia = 1kg.

The question is:

Why is Coriolis acceleration doubled in comparison with gyroscopic acceleration? Both are causing the same effect of force and torque consequentially.

Where do i have problem in my calculations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MPavsic said:
<< Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

I have mind boggling problem, trying to distinguish between Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of thin hoop.

Problem: A thin, hoop of mass m and radius r spins at the constant rate ω 1 about an axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, which rotates at the constant rate ω 2. The mass of spokes and spindle are negligible.

1. Determine Coriolis acceleration of point P at the edge of the hoop, when point P is aligned with vertical axis of the rod.

2. Determine acceleration produced by gyroscopic couple of the hoop on axle held by a fork-ended vertical rod, where support of the axle by the rod equals to radius of point P on each side of the hoop.

To solve acceleration of gyroscopic couple I am using C = I omega1 omega2 / r, where mass to compute inertia = 1kg.

The question is:

Why is Coriolis acceleration doubled in comparison with gyroscopic acceleration? Both are causing the same effect of force and torque consequentially.

I am working on some calculations for my RC model. Wel
MPavsic said:

The question is:

The main problem was, that I did not understand the Moment Copule which is by definition: "Couple is a system of two forces which are equal in magnitude, opposite in direction and have parallel lines of action."

Related to Dynamic reaction versus Coriolis acceleration of the disk

1. What is the difference between dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration of the disk?

Dynamic reaction refers to the force that is created when a rotating disk interacts with its surroundings, while Coriolis acceleration is the apparent acceleration experienced by an object on a rotating disk due to the rotation of the disk itself.

2. How do dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration affect the motion of a disk?

Dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration both contribute to the overall motion of a rotating disk. Dynamic reaction can cause changes in the disk's angular velocity, while Coriolis acceleration can cause the disk to experience a curved path of motion.

3. Can dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration be observed in everyday objects?

Yes, these phenomena can be observed in many everyday objects such as spinning tops, frisbees, and even the rotation of the Earth.

4. How do dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration relate to each other?

Dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration are both results of the same physical principle: the conservation of angular momentum. They are interconnected and work together to maintain the overall motion of a rotating disk.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding dynamic reaction and Coriolis acceleration?

Yes, understanding these phenomena is crucial in many engineering and scientific fields, such as the design of gyroscopes and understanding the motion of objects in rotating systems like centrifuges.