Rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis

In summary, Chad attempted to solve the equation for angular speed squared by using conservation of energy. He found that the angular speed was 9.9.
Chad Jensen

Homework Statement

I am studying for a test and am struggling with this question on the practice exam. The answer is 9.9 I am not sure how she got to the answer though
A hoop of mass 300 g. and a radius of 20 cm rotates about an axle at the edge of a hoop. The hoop starts at highest position(pi/2) and is given a very small push. What is the angular speed when the hoop is in the lowest position(3pi/2)

Homework Equations

[/B]
I am not sure about the relevant equations. I am sure it will take the formula for I=mr2 and I am pretty sure it takes the off-center axis of rotation. Inew=Icenter mass +Md2 I am not sure the common thread they have to tie them together. Is torque also involved? If it is it would have to be an integral because the pull of gravity on the hoop varies with sin(θ) and we haven't integrated except on one exam this year, so i doubt that's the route.

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew it wasn't right but I tried the formula W2f=W2i+2αΔθ.

Edit: Here are my thoughts after looking at it again. I can find "I" and there are 3 equations given on my exam formula sheet that have "I" as a factor; Στ=Iα for torque, L=Iω for momentum and 1/2Iω2 for energy. I believe you tie everything together with the energy formula. Is that right?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Chad

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want to use conservation of energy to solve this, as it's the easiest approach.
U1 + K1 + W = U2 + K2.

The initial energy is just that of the height of the center of mass (2R), m g h = (.3)(9.8)(2*.2) = 1.176J.
The ending energy is the rotational KE of the hoop about the axis, or (.5) I ω2.
To calculate I, note that the CM is not the center of the hoop, since the axis is at the rim of the hoop, so you need to use the Parallel-Axis Theorem Ip = Icm + Md2.
For a hoop, this would be I = MR2 + Md2 = MR2 + MR2 = 2MR2.
So, we have 1.176J = .5 * 2MR2ω2 = (.5)(2)(.3)(.2^2)ω2 = .012ω2.
Solving for angular speed squared, ω2, ω2 = 1.176/.012 = 98.
The square root of 98 is 9.899, or 9.9.

You can also solve this with the ending energy being the 'translational' KE of the CM of the hoop, plus the rotational KE of the hoop about the CM of the hoop.
This would be a little more complex, but you'd end up with the same answer.

Last edited:
Hello Chad, :welcome:

A bit of advice from an old hand, somewhat improving on Mitchel (:welcome: back, I may say :smile:):

Work with symbols as long as you can; do not start calculating unless it is necessary somehow. Check dimensions before calculating.
In this case you begin with an energy balance $${1\over 2}I\omega^2 = m\;g\;\Delta h = m\;g\; 2r $$ and you have ##I = mr^2 + mr^2## so you are left with $$\omega^2 ={ m\;g\; 2r \over mr^2 } = {2 \;g\over r} $$ which has the dimension of seconds-2, so that's OK. And less risk of typing mistakes or wrong rounding off if you calculate now.

Likes Mitchel Haas
Thank you for the excellent answers. I really appreciate it. I have a hard time right now with using variables and setting up the correct formula. It is easier right now to see numbers because I know where they need to go most of the time. With variables, I have a hard time knowing what goes where. It will come with practice I am sure but it is so stressful until I get the skill developed

Related to Rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis

What is the rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis?

The rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis refers to the movement of a circular object, such as a hoop or a wheel, when it is spinning around an axis that is not located at its center.

What is the difference between rotation about a center axis and an off-center axis?

Rotation about a center axis means that the object is spinning around an axis that passes through its center of mass. On the other hand, rotation about an off-center axis means that the object is spinning around an axis that is located at a distance from its center of mass.

How does the distance of the off-center axis affect the rotation of a hoop?

The distance of the off-center axis from the center of mass of the hoop affects the rotational motion of the hoop. The farther the axis is from the center of mass, the faster the hoop will spin and the more unstable its rotation will be.

What are some real-world applications of the rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis?

The rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis has many practical applications, such as in the design of wheels for vehicles, the motion of spinning tops, and the stabilization of satellites in space.

How is the moment of inertia related to the rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis?

The moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, is directly related to the rotation of a hoop about an off-center axis. The farther the axis is from the center of mass, the higher the moment of inertia and the more energy is required to rotate the hoop.