Recommendation's for beginners books on physics

In summary, a 14-year-old interested in physics is looking for recommendations on books for beginners that are not too easy but also take into account their GCSE level knowledge in science and math. Suggestions include "Thinking Physics" by Lewis Carroll Epstein and the works of Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene, with the recommendation to also focus on mastering high school textbooks before tackling university-level material.
LouisCB
Hi, I am 14 and am really interested in physics.

I've been drawn into the subject by shows on TV about the universe and by viewing objects in space with my telescope. However now that the brilliance of planets and black holes and super novas has worn off, i want to get into real physics. By this i mean academic theories and complicated ideas. I already understand the basics of physics (theory of relativity, the lives of stars and planets, big bang theory etc.) and my capabilities in maths and science are shown by the fact that I am in the higher sets for both these subjects. So i really need to find out the best books for beginners that aren't to easy, but still bearing in mind that my scientific and mathematic knowledge is still only GCSE level.

thanks and any recommendations would be appreciated.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, i'll look into it.

I never found reading physics books 'with a few simple equations' very satisfying. I was always left wanting the real equations...

So let your GCSE studies lead you. If you take all the physics and maths courses on offer you will eventually be able to tackle university textbooks, with 'real equations'. Your school textbooks should be fairly tough - so set yourself your task of knowing everything in them & doing all the problems.

Meanwhile, to keep your 'overall' interest going, keep reading the latest Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene books when they come out...

Brian Greene's previous book ("The fabric of the cosmos") has mathematical appendices that you might like to chew on for the moment.

Are you not taking a separate physics GCSE? If the school does not offer this you might be able to take it at the local technical college, or through distance learning.

No i am taking a separate GCSE course in physics (in all 3 science topics) but i found that I am more advanced than the majority of the students in physics class so i wanted to make up for time lost. Textbooks are alright but they tend to be more about the facts of physics, I am more interested in the theories and conceptual ideas.

I'll go down to my local library to look up the book, does Brian Greene have a few good books or is his latest just a one off?

Thanks alot!

LouisCB said:
No i am taking a separate GCSE course in physics (in all 3 science topics) but i found that I am more advanced than the majority of the students in physics class so i wanted to make up for time lost. Textbooks are alright but they tend to be more about the facts of physics, I am more interested in the theories and conceptual ideas.

I'll go down to my local library to look up the book, does Brian Greene have a few good books or is his latest just a one off?

Thanks alot!

They aren't facts, the information in textbooks are theroies. If you know calculus, fundamentals of physics by walker halliday resnick is where I would start.

romsofia said:
They aren't facts, the information in textbooks are theroies. If you know calculus, fundamentals of physics by walker halliday resnick is where I would start.

what i mean is they are usually like "the speed of light is x. some materials are superconductors at a a temperature of absolute 0" which i find interesting, but doesn't really quench my thirst for knowledge!

thanks for the reccomendation anyway!

Related to Recommendation's for beginners books on physics

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn about physics?

Some highly recommended books for beginners on physics include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. These books provide a great introduction to physics concepts without being too technical.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand physics?

While a basic understanding of math is helpful, it is not essential to understanding the concepts of physics. Many beginner books on physics provide clear explanations and examples that do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should read beginner books on physics?

It is generally recommended to start with more general and basic books before moving on to more advanced topics. It is also helpful to read books that cover different branches of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, to get a well-rounded understanding.

4. Can beginner books on physics prepare me for more advanced studies?

Yes, reading beginner books on physics can provide a solid foundation and understanding of key concepts, which can then be built upon in more advanced studies. It is also helpful to supplement reading with hands-on experiments and practice problems.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement my learning from beginner books on physics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as videos, simulations, and interactive tutorials that can supplement your learning from beginner books on physics. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.