Recasting/Reducing ODEs of order n to first order

In summary, the second problem is easy if you substitute \(\displaystyle y''(x)\) from the original equation.
nacho-man
Could someone please provide a worked solution for me. I think that is the only way I will understand this. It was covered very vaguely in our lectures and my notes start talking about vectors and using co-domain notation which is very frustrating!

1. $y''(x) = x + y'(x) + e^{y(x)}$ with $y(0)=0, y'(0)=1$I know MHB doesn't endorse just handing out solutions, so I will try and attempt the second problem myself if someone may help me with the first. I really need to learn this for my exam in 7 days.

2. $y'''(x) = y(x)$ with $y(1) = 4, y'(1)=4, y''(1)=0$

Physics news on Phys.org
The second one is easy if you substitute [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u(x) = y'(x) \end{align*}[/tex], making a second order linear DE with constant coefficients [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u''(x) = u(x) \end{align*}[/tex].

This is my lecturer's solution.

What even man

Attachments

• recast.png
    recast.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 64
The may or may not help you, but if I was going to solve the second one, I would note the characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^3-1=(r-1)\left(r^2+r+1 \right)=0\)

which has the roots:

\(\displaystyle r=1,\,\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{3}i}{2}\)

Hence, the general solution will take the form:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=c_1e^x+e^{-\frac{1}{2}x}\left(c_2\cos\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x \right)+c_3\sin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x \right) \right)\)

Now it is a matter of differentiating to get a 3X3 linear system in the 3 parameters.

nacho said:
Could someone please provide a worked solution for me. I think that is the only way I will understand this. It was covered very vaguely in our lectures and my notes start talking about vectors and using co-domain notation which is very frustrating!

1. $y''(x) = x + y'(x) + e^{y(x)}$ with $y(0)=0, y'(0)=1$I know MHB doesn't endorse just handing out solutions, so I will try and attempt the second problem myself if someone may help me with the first. I really need to learn this for my exam in 7 days.

2. $y'''(x) = y(x)$ with $y(1) = 4, y'(1)=4, y''(1)=0$

For a second order ODE that can be written in the form: \(y''(x)=f(y'(x),y(x),x)\) we reduce this to a first order system by introducting the state vector \( {\bf{Y}}(x)=(y'(x),y(x))\). Now if we differentiate this we get:

\[ {\bf{Y}}'(x)=(y''(x),y'(x))\]
Now we may substitute \(y''(x)\) from the original equation into this to get:
\[ {\bf{Y}}'(x)=(f(y'(x),y(x),x),y'(x))\]
Then using \(y'(x)={\bf{Y}}_1\) and \(y(x)={\bf{Y}}_2\) we get:
\[ {\bf{Y}}'(x)=(f({\bf{Y}}_1,{\bf{Y}}_2,x),{\bf{Y}}_1)\]
with inotial condition \({\bf{Y}}(0)=({\bf{Y}}_1(0),{\bf{Y}}_2(0)) =(y'(0),y(0))\)

Last edited:
Please disregard my last post, I misread the question.

For the longest of time, our lecturer made it out to be that recasting and reduction of order were the same thing.

now that I know that they are not, everything is much more clearer.

Thanks for the help guys/gals

Related to Recasting/Reducing ODEs of order n to first order

What is the purpose of recasting/reducing ODEs of order n to first order?

The purpose is to simplify the ODE and make it easier to solve. By reducing the order, we can use techniques such as separation of variables or substitution to solve the ODE. It also allows us to use numerical methods to approximate the solution.

How do you recast/reduce an ODE of order n to first order?

To recast/reduce an ODE of order n to first order, we introduce a new variable, typically denoted by y', to represent the derivative of the original dependent variable y. Then, we rewrite the ODE in terms of y and y', resulting in a system of n first-order ODEs.

What are the benefits of reducing the order of an ODE?

Reducing the order of an ODE allows us to use various techniques to solve the ODE, such as separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods. It also makes the ODE more manageable and easier to analyze.

Are there any limitations to recasting/reducing ODEs of order n to first order?

Yes, there are certain types of ODEs that cannot be reduced to first order, such as ODEs with multiple dependent variables or higher-order derivatives. Additionally, the process of reducing the order may introduce new solutions that do not satisfy the original ODE.

Can any ODE of order n be reduced to first order?

No, not all ODEs of order n can be reduced to first order. The ability to reduce an ODE to first order depends on the form and structure of the ODE. Some ODEs may require more advanced techniques to solve, such as power series or Laplace transforms.