Realistic explanation of the doppler effect

In summary, the doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when a source of sound moves through a medium. The wavelength of the sound in the medium increases in the direction opposite to the motion and decreases in the direction of the motion.
Moroni
Could anyone who knows give me a really simple yet realistic explanation of the doppler effect. This is one of those things that just boggles the brain so to speak.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moroni said:
Could anyone who knows give me a really simple yet realistic explanation of the doppler effect. This is one of those things that just boggles the brain so to speak.
With a source moving through a sound medium (eg. air), the wavelength of the sound in the medium increases in the direction opposite to the motion and decreases in the direction of the motion. This is because in the time between vibrations, T = 1/f, the source moves a distance s = vT. Thus the wavelength in the direction of sound is reduced by vT and the wavelength opposite to the direction of sound is increased by vT.

See:http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/dopp.html#c1

AM

the best way that I can think to explain it to you is like this.

if you are traveling towards a source while emitting sound, the sine function that the sound travels in gets compressed. This means that there is a higher frequency.

if you are traveling away from a source the opposite happens.

Also, it might help to evaluate this situation at the speed of sound. Imagine you are traveling towards a person at the speed of sound. All the sound that you emit that whole time will in a sense be traveling with you, and reach that person all at once. Conversely, if you are traveling twice the speed of sound, the sound that the person will hear will be in reverse of the way you played it. just think this concept over and let me know if you have any questions

and ill correct my use of the word conversely, and replace it with 'also'. I think i just used that word because I wanted to feel sophisticated

Thank You both very much.

My one question is, from what I understand then, if I'm moving (slower than the speed of sound,) then the sound will reach another object before or after I do?

You have helped me a lot and I appreciate it!:smile:

Moroni said:
Thank You both very much.

My one question is, from what I understand then, if I'm moving (slower than the speed of sound,) then the sound will reach another object before or after I do?

You have helped me a lot and I appreciate it!:smile:
I think you can figure that out. If the speed of sound is faster than your speed, will the sound travel farther than you or will you travel farther than the sound in a given time?

AM

That Makes Sense Thanks! I just wanted to clarify.

Related to Realistic explanation of the doppler effect

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in physics that describes the change in frequency of a wave as the source of the wave moves relative to the observer.

How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect works by compressing the waves in front of a moving source and stretching the waves behind the source. This results in a higher frequency of waves in front of the source and a lower frequency of waves behind the source.

What causes the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It can also occur when the source and observer are both stationary, but there is motion between the medium through which the wave travels.

What are some examples of the Doppler Effect?

Some common examples of the Doppler Effect include the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by, the change in frequency of a train horn as it approaches and then moves away, and the change in frequency of light as a star moves towards or away from Earth.

How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as in weather radar to track the movement of storms, in ultrasound imaging to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to determine the movement and distance of celestial objects.