Real Rate 4%, Inflation 7%: Calculate Nominal Interest Rate

• Thread starter rowdy3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the nominal rate of interest can be calculated by taking the real rate of 4% and adding it to the expected inflation rate of 7%, resulting in a nominal rate of 11%. However, the calculation provided in the conversation (1.04/1.07-1) does not accurately reflect this rate. Instead, the correct calculation should be (1.07/1.04)-1, resulting in a nominal rate of 2.88%. It is important to write down correct and logical equations, rather than assuming others can understand your thought process.
rowdy3
What would you expect the nominal rate of interest be if the real rate is 4% and the expected inflation rate is 7%?

I did n=4 I=7
(1+.04)= (1+.07)+(1+r)
1.04/1.07 - 1 = -2.80. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
rowdy3 said:
What would you expect the nominal rate of interest be if the real rate is 4% and the expected inflation rate is 7%?

I did n=4 I=7
(1+.04)= (1+.07)+(1+r)
1.04/1.07 - 1 = -2.80. Is that correct?

Which line do you intend as your answer? The second and third lines give different results, so you need to decide. Also: give reasons; don't just write things down without explanation of the logic. Finally: when I compute 1.07/1.04-1 I do not get -2.80. Hint: write down correct things, and do not assume people can read your mind.

Last edited:

Related to Real Rate 4%, Inflation 7%: Calculate Nominal Interest Rate

What is the formula for calculating nominal interest rate?

The formula for calculating nominal interest rate is: Nominal Interest Rate = Real Rate + Inflation Rate.

How do I calculate nominal interest rate when given real rate and inflation rate?

To calculate nominal interest rate, simply add the real rate and inflation rate together. For example, if the real rate is 4% and the inflation rate is 7%, the nominal interest rate would be 11%.

Why is it important to calculate nominal interest rate?

Calculating nominal interest rate is important in determining the true cost of borrowing or the true return on an investment. It takes into account both the real rate and the impact of inflation on the overall rate.

What is the significance of a high nominal interest rate?

A high nominal interest rate can indicate a strong economy with high levels of inflation. This can make borrowing more expensive and can also lead to higher returns on investments.

How does the nominal interest rate affect the purchasing power of money?

The nominal interest rate can affect the purchasing power of money as it reflects the rate at which money is growing or shrinking in value. A higher nominal interest rate can potentially lead to a decrease in the purchasing power of money due to inflation.