Re-Parameterizing a Curve: How to Transform from t to tau?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: You have to account for the absolute value. So the integral should be split into two parts, one for ##t<0## and one for ##t>0##.In summary, the given equation ##C(t) = t + it^2## is re-parametrized from ##t## to ##\tau## by the transformation ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}##. The new interval for ##\tau## is determined by dividing the endpoints of the given ##t##-interval by ##2##. This results in the new curve ##C(\tau) = \tau + i \tau^2##. Additionally, the length of the arc for this curve can be calculated using the formula ##\
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

##C(t) = t =it^2##, where ##-2 \le t \le 2##. Re-parametrize the curve from ##t## to ##\tau## by the following transformation: ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, the variable ##\tau## is half of every value ##t## can be. Therefore, I have construct a ##\tau##-interval from the ##t##-interval.

##\frac{-2}{2} \le \tau \le \frac{2}{2} \implies -1 \le \tau \le 1##

So, ##C(\tau) = \tau + i \tau^2##.

One, I am not even certain that this is correct; two, this is absolutely unpalatable. I am having a hard time justifying every step.

At first I thought I would just solve for tau, and substitute the variable in:

##C(2 \tau) = 2 \tau + i (2 \tau)^2##.

But how would I find the interval for ##\tau##? Why would I even want to? Does ##\tau## and ##t## being related by the equation ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}## imply that there intervals are somehow related? How so? Would I think of ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}## as a function, whose domain is ##-2 \le t \le 2##, and the range of this function would be the ##\tau## interval? If so, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have gone with your first thought and just solved for tau and substituted. You can also think of ##\tau = t/2## as a function in the way you mention and the range is the interval for ##\tau##. This gives you the same curve ##C##.

Okay, but how I find the ##\tau##-interval? What justifies me dividing the endpoints of ##-2 \le t \le 2## by ##2##, and then calling this the ##\tau## interval?

You are reparametrising with ##\tau = t/2## so any value of ##t## is going to correspond to a value of ##\tau## which is ##t/2##, in particular the endpoints.

So, I can regard the codomain (range) of the function ##\tau = \frac{t}{2}## as the ##\tau##-interval?

I have another question which relates to arcs. I was asked to calculate the length of the arc ##C(t) = 1 + it^2##, where ##-2 \le t \le 2##, the length being defined as ##\int_a^b |z'(t)|dt##. I got zero, which was slightly disconcerting. Is this really a good definition of length if it gives an answer of zero? Shouldn't this actually be referred to as displacement of a particle?

It should not give you zero since ##|z'(t)| \geq 0## - unless ##z## is a constant you should get a positive number.

##z(t) = 1 + it^2 \implies z'(t) = 2it##

##\int_{-2}^2 |2it| dt = \int_{-2}^2 2t dt = t^2 \bigg|_{-2}^2 = (2)^2 - (-2)^2 = 0##

##|2it|## is not equal to ##2t## when ##t## is negative.

Likes Bashyboy

Related to Re-Parameterizing a Curve: How to Transform from t to tau?

1. What is re-parameterization of a curve?

Re-parameterization of a curve is the process of changing the parameterization, or the way the points on a curve are represented, while maintaining the overall shape and characteristics of the curve.

2. Why is re-parameterization important in scientific research?

Re-parameterization allows scientists to analyze and manipulate curves in different ways, making it a useful tool for studying and understanding complex systems and phenomena. It also allows for more accurate calculations and enables the use of different mathematical techniques.

3. What are some common methods for re-parameterizing a curve?

Some common methods for re-parameterizing a curve include arc length parameterization, chord length parameterization, and Chebyshev parameterization. These methods all use different mathematical approaches to adjust the parameterization of a curve.

4. How does re-parameterization affect the curvature of a curve?

Re-parameterization does not change the overall curvature of a curve, as it only changes the way the points on the curve are represented. However, certain methods of re-parameterization, such as arc length parameterization, can result in a more uniform distribution of curvature along the curve.

5. Can re-parameterization be applied to any type of curve?

Yes, re-parameterization can be applied to any type of curve, including lines, circles, and more complex curves. However, the method of re-parameterization used may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the curve.