Finding the fourier spectrum of a function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Fourier spectrum of a function that is the product of a rectangular impulse and a cosine function. The solution provided uses the complex Fourier coefficient formula and the property of the Fourier series. To draw the graph, one can plot two sinc-functions centered around the positions of the delta-functions.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier spectrum ##C_k## of the following function and draw it's graph:
Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know that the complex Fourier coefficient of a rectangular impulse ##U## on an interval ##[-\frac{\tau}{2}, \frac{\tau}{2}]## is ##C_k = \frac{U\tau}{T}\frac{\sin {kw\frac{\tau}{2}}}{kw\frac{\tau}{2}}## and since ##f(t)=U\cos {w_ot}## i can say that ##f(t)=\frac{U}{2}(e^{jw_ot}-e^{-jw_ot})## which if i use the property of the Fourier series get:
##C_k = \frac{U\tau}{T}\frac{\sin {k(w+w_o)\frac{\tau}{2}}}{k(w+w_o)\frac{\tau}{2}} - \frac{U\tau}{T}\frac{\sin {k(w-w_o)\frac{\tau}{2}}}{k(w-w_o)\frac{\tau}{2}}##. Is this correct. How would i draw a graph of this?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the solution. You can also think of it as follows: Your function is the product of a rectangle and a cosine. The FT of the rectangle is the sinc-function that you have in your solution. The FT of the cosine consists of two delta-functions (at plus and minus the frequency of the cosine). The FT of the product is the convolution of the two separate FTs and that's what you write. The graph should show two sinc-functions centered around the positions of the deltas.

Likes Merlin3189 and diredragon

Related to Finding the fourier spectrum of a function

1. What is the Fourier spectrum of a function?

The Fourier spectrum of a function is a representation of the function in terms of its frequency components. It shows the amount of each frequency present in the function and how they contribute to the overall shape of the function.

2. How do you find the Fourier spectrum of a function?

To find the Fourier spectrum of a function, you need to apply a mathematical transformation known as the Fourier transform. This involves breaking down the function into its frequency components using integrals and complex numbers.

3. Why is it important to find the Fourier spectrum of a function?

Finding the Fourier spectrum of a function is important because it allows us to understand the underlying frequency components of a function. This can have practical applications in signal analysis, image processing, and data compression.

4. Can any function have a Fourier spectrum?

Yes, any continuous function can have a Fourier spectrum. However, the function must satisfy certain mathematical conditions in order for the Fourier transform to exist.

5. How is the Fourier spectrum of a function related to its Fourier series?

The Fourier spectrum of a function is closely related to its Fourier series. The Fourier series is a representation of a function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. The Fourier spectrum shows the amplitude of each frequency component, which can be used to construct the Fourier series of the function.