Linear transformations, images for continuous functions

Find a basis for the image of T.In summary, the given conversation discusses a linear transformation, denoted as T, from the space of continuous real functions on [0, π] to itself. T is defined as the integral of the product of a cosine function and a given function f. The conversation then goes on to discuss the linearity of T, the image of T, and the dimension of the null space of T. To find the basis of the image of T, the suggestion is made to express T(f) in the form of a summation.
member 428835

Homework Statement

Let ##C## be the space of continuous real functions on ##[0,\pi]##. With any function ##f\in C##, associate another function ##g=T(f)## defined by $$g=T(f)\equiv \int_0^\pi \cos(t-\tau) f(\tau) \, d \tau$$
a) Show ##T## is a linear transformation from ##C## to ##C##.
b)What is the image of ##T##? Find a basis for it.
c) List a set of linearly independent vectors that are in the null space of ##T##. What is ##dimN(T)##?

Homework Equations

Linear algebra stuff. Too much to write I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)##T(af + bg) = \int\cos(t-\tau)(af + bg) = \int\cos(t-\tau)af + \int\cos(t-\tau)bg = a\int\cos(t-\tau)f + b\int\cos(t-\tau)g = aT(f)+bT(g)##.
b) I want to say the space of continuous real functions on ##[0,\pi]##. Does this even make sense though?
c)By inspection, ##a\sin(t-\tau)## but this is all I can see. Are there any others? In this case, I would say ##dimN(T) = 1## so far since I can only think of the one example. Obviously ##0## is as well but this is not linearly independent of what I have listed.

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

Let ##C## be the space of continuous real functions on ##[0,\pi]##. With any function ##f\in C##, associate another function ##g=T(f)## defined by $$g=T(f)\equiv \int_0^\pi \cos(t-\tau) f(\tau) \, d \tau$$
c) List a set of linearly independent vectors that are in the null space of ##T##. What is ##dimN(T)##?

Homework Equations

a)##T(af + bg) = \int\cos(t-\tau)(af + bg) = \int\cos(t-\tau)af + \int\cos(t-\tau)bg = a\int\cos(t-\tau)f + b\int\cos(t-\tau)g = aT(f)+bT(g)##.
b) I want to say the space of continuous real functions on ##[0,\pi]##. Does this even make sense though?
c)By inspection, ##a\sin(t-\tau)## but this is all I can see. Are there any others? In this case, I would say ##dimN(T) = 1## so far since I can only think of the one example. Obviously ##0## is as well but this is not linearly independent of what I have listed.

Even if ##f(\tau)## is defined only on ##\tau \in [0,\pi]##, is ##g(t)## defined for ##t## outside the interval ##[0,\pi]##?

Ray Vickson said:
Even if ##f(\tau)## is defined only on ##\tau \in [0,\pi]##, is ##g(t)## defined for ##t## outside the interval ##[0,\pi]##?
This was not specified, so I'm leaning towards no.

joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[itex]\cos(t - \tau) = \cos t \cos \tau + \sin t \sin \tau[/itex] seems extremely relevant, as it should solve part (b) for you.

Part (a) required you also to show that [itex]T(f) \in C[/itex] for every [itex]f \in C[/itex]. Part (b) requires you to go further.

Doing part (b) properly will suggest further examples of vectors in [itex]\ker T[/itex].

pasmith said:
[itex]\cos(t - \tau) = \cos t \cos \tau + \sin t \sin \tau[/itex] seems extremely relevant, as it should solve part (b) for you.
I don't follow you. I can't see how this identity helps us find the image of ##T##. Could you elaborate?
pasmith said:
Part (a) required you also to show that [itex]T(f) \in C[/itex] for every [itex]f \in C[/itex]. Part (b) requires you to go further.
How to you go about showing this part of a)? I would try but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for replying!

joshmccraney said:
I don't follow you. I can't see how this identity helps us find the image of ##T##. Could you elaborate?

Try expressing [itex]T(f)[/itex] in the form [tex]
T(f) =\int_0^\pi \left(\sum_{n=1}^N A_n(t)B_n(\tau)\right)f(\tau)\,d\tau = \sum_{n=1}^N A_n(t) \int_0^\pi B_n(\tau) f(\tau)\,d\tau.[/tex]

joshmccraney said:
How to you go about showing this part of a)? I would try but I don't know where to start.

Thanks for replying!

I think that PF rules forbid us from answering that question.

pasmith said:
Try expressing [itex]T(f)[/itex] in the form [tex]
T(f) =\int_0^\pi \left(\sum_{n=1}^N A_n(t)B_n(\tau)\right)f(\tau)\,d\tau = \sum_{n=1}^N A_n(t) \int_0^\pi B_n(\tau) f(\tau)\,d\tau.[/tex]
So something like this $$\int_0^\pi \cos(t-\tau)f(\tau) \, d\tau = \int_0^\pi (\cos t\cos\tau +\sin t \sin \tau)f(\tau) \, d\tau\\ = \cos t\int_0^\pi\cos\tau f(\tau) \, d \tau + \sin t \int_0^\pi\sin \tau f(\tau) \, d\tau$$ But I still don't see how this helps us find a basis. If you feel uncomfortable helping me with this one since I clearly can't do it well, perhaps we could make a simpler example and you could help me through it so I can see the strategy? I don't want to violate the rules on PF, I'm just confused how all of this is related.

[itex]\int_0^\pi \cos \tau f(\tau)\,d\tau[/itex] is a definite integral of a real-valued function, so it's just a real number!

Likes micromass
How does this look?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 5.33.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 5.33.31 PM.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 403
You need to rethink the kernel.

I sense some confusion. The input of [itex]T[/itex] is a function of one real variable, which we are labelling [itex]\tau[/itex]. The output of [itex]T[/itex] is another function of one real variable, which we are labelling [itex]t[/itex]. Setting [itex]f(\tau) = \sin(t - \tau)[/itex] therefore is nonsense; trying [itex]f(\tau) = \sin (\alpha - \tau)[/itex] for real [itex]\alpha[/itex] makes sense, but it turns out that that is not in the kernel for any [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Finding functions in the kernel is actually straightforward: You can readily show that if [itex]h(\tau) = a \cos \tau + b \sin \tau[/itex] then [itex]T(h) = \frac{\pi}{2}h[/itex], and having established that the image of [itex]T[/itex] is the space spanned by [itex]\cos[/itex] and [itex]\sin[/itex] it then follows that [tex]
T^2(f) = \tfrac{\pi}2T(f)[/tex] for all [itex]f \in C[/itex], and hence by linearity of [itex]T[/itex] that [tex]
T(f) - \tfrac{\pi}{2}f \in \ker T[/tex] for every [itex]f \in C[/itex]. This gives you a way to easily find non-trivial members of the kernel, provided you are careful with your choice of [itex]f[/itex].

Likes member 428835
Thanks! I really appreciate your help!

Related to Linear transformations, images for continuous functions

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps vectors from one vector space to another in a linear manner. This means that the output of the function is a linear combination of the inputs, where the coefficients remain constant.

2. What are some examples of linear transformations?

Some examples of linear transformations include scaling, rotation, reflection, and shearing. These operations preserve the shape and size of the original image.

3. How are linear transformations represented?

Linear transformations can be represented using matrices. The matrix representation of a linear transformation is obtained by applying the transformation to the standard basis vectors of the vector space.

4. What is the image of a continuous function?

The image of a continuous function is the set of all possible output values that the function can produce. In other words, it is the range of the function.

5. How do linear transformations affect the continuity of a function?

Linear transformations preserve the continuity of a function. This means that if a function is continuous, its image under a linear transformation will also be continuous. However, if a function is not continuous, its image may or may not be continuous depending on the specific transformation applied.