Rationale behind using pirated software

• Thread starter amenhotep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    software
In summary, theAfrican student would pirate software if he could not afford to buy it, and the rule utilitarian says that one person pirating is not likely to cause much of a problem.
I actually agree with WWGD in that the only way of having a reasonably-level playing field between those with
few resources and those with plenty is to ignore copyright _until_ one moves up in the professional ladder. After that, no more freebies. And it is absurd that countries with well-developed industries and technologies, often with 10's, if not 100's of years of experience expect (economically) smaller/weaker, less-developed countries to fully lower their trade and tariff barriers. Seriously? A start-up in, say, Haiti is supposed to compete in an equal footing with the likes of Krupps, or any of the other powerful, well-heeled companies with millions of dollars in their R&D budgets and 100's of hi-tech patents? Seems comparable to asking a 10-year old child to stop mooching and get a job. Let him grow up in a protected environment, nurture him/her, let them become stronger, maybe earn a trade or a degree and _then_ ask them to compete on the same footing with all the more knowledgeable ones. And, again, like WWGD said, many western countries did have their own trade barriers and tariffs in their beginning, until they were strong-enough. But now the want the poorer countries with weaker technology to lower their guards and lower their barriers/tariffs.

Why aren't more people who decry the theft of intellectual property bothered at the fact that most of the rich west helped build itself up by pirating and violating copyright ? I saw the actual C-Span show were the details of that book WWGD mentions where presented:

http://www.booktv.org/search.aspx?For=Bad%20Samaritans.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Without taking sides in the issue, I'll correct an oft-used yet terrible analogy:

"You won't be talking about rationale if you distributed your food and TVs outside your home, and someone made copies of them, leaving your fridge and TV (and all the others) intact."

In short:

Software piracy is not theft. Software piracy is software piracy.
GregRobert said:
I've spent many years on software license consulting with software engineering, corporate legal, and customers.

Sometimes piracy includes copyright violations, sometimes it doesn't, but it IS theft. Theft of product, theft of services, and fraud.

- Greg
Simon Bridge said:
Concentrating on the question that was actually asked: ... I'd point out that the software he is using infringes copyright and exposes him to prosecution. However you or I feel about the software, if you are going to break the law it is best to know that you are doing it and be aware of the issues involved.

I would not use the word "pirated" to describe the software used ...
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

I'd encourage the friend to use free/libre and open-source software instead of the proprietary alternatives currently used against the copyright-holder's wishes.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

I would not suggest any freeware, though, since software that goes by that label is more often than not proprietary software offered free of charge but does not respect the users freedom. But I would not have the same concerns provided the friend knows the terms of use and can make an informed choice about whether or not to abide by them.
Simon Bridge finally used the word, "infringe".

StevieTNZ said:
There was admission by the member that they did indeed edit their post, so I don't know how the question can still stand.

Strictly speaking s/he stated that the message may have been edited by a mentor/staff, that s/he did not clearly remember whether this was the case or not
Vanadium 50 said:
I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.

I don't see what is wrong here. Was your message distorted somehow by this edit? What part was edited-in, do you know; can you show it? I don't have access to these tools.

Simon Bridge finally used the word, "infringe".
... look in the links and see why :)
Copyright infringement being piracy or theft is, afaik, not supported by case law.
But it is also not the topic introduced in post #1 and does not answer the question posed there.

Closed.