Possible name of the software used to type equations in a video

brotherbobby
TL;DR Summary
I would like to know, if possible, the ##\text{name of the software}## used to type equations on to the computer screen shown in the video below.
Video Link

Many thanks if you can guess what the name of the software is. It can be very useful for teaching.

Let me also confess that, till date, I haven't found a software that can type ##\rm{LaTeX}## equations in real time on to the computer screen. LyX is the only one I know of, but the look of the equations that appear is not clear for people to read.

Alternately, I would be glad if someone could suggest an app with a space where rows of equations can be typed in ##\rm{LaTeX}## in a WYSIWYG form. There are ##\rm{LaTeX}## online renderers but the space available is one equation at a time.

Also, as you will see in the video, nowhere are the actual ##\rm{LaTeX}## codes showing. I suspect it is not ##\rm{LaTeX}## at all in the video but a form of writing equations very close to it in look and feel.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MS Word until 2018 had its own Equation Editor, but that was removed due to security concerns. Its successor appears to be MathType.

That doesn’t really look like LaTeX. More likely some wysiwyg generator, possibly the equation efitor of Powerpoint or similar. Either used with key commands, video edits, or both. I find it somewhat unlikely that this video is recorded real time. The typical thing to do would be to prepare the video and a manuscript, then record the manuscript and match the video to the narration.

When I teach in distance I write by hand using a tablet as a black/whiteboard.

Actually there's both today @pasmith. I have them. But neither is as good as the one on the video.

Equation editor uses the Cambria Math font, which is not as good as the Latin Modern Roman Font in ##\rm{LaTeX}##. Or the Computer Modern Roman font.

In MathType, you can install and load those fonts but they are not as clean as the way it appeared on the video.

Here's a screenshot from MathType :

1712077842930.png

Here's a screenshot from MSWord's Equation editor :

1712078116928.png

As you can see, the Cambria Math font of MSWord doesn't have the nice look of the CMR one of ##\rm{LaTeX}##. However, both Equation Editor and MathType can be used to type in real time. MathType has the advantage of better shortcut keys so as to avoid the commands being shown.

Orodruin said:
That doesn’t really look like LaTeX. More likely some wysiwyg generator, possibly the equation efitor of Powerpoint or similar. Either used with key commands, video edits, or both. I find it somewhat unlikely that this video is recorded real time. The typical thing to do would be to prepare the video and a manuscript, then record the manuscript and match the video to the narration.

When I teach in distance I write by hand using a tablet as a black/whiteboard.
So do I, but the equations are handwritten and not as clean as the typed one in the video.

Again, can one type equations as easily as one can "write" them down with a stylus pen? I wish I could do that.

I've tried several programs but I've never been able to "write" equations fast enough. My old hand always wins.

brotherbobby said:
So do I, but the equations are handwritten and not as clean as the typed one in the video.

Again, can one type equations as easily as one can "write" them down with a stylus pen? I wish I could do that.
I see that you posted your question after the video that you linked to. If they answer, can you please let us know the answer. I am not aware of a text editor that makes equations so simple. Maybe it is the "magic of video editing".

FactChecker said:
Maybe it is the "magic of video editing".
I am about 3-1 in favor of video editing over typing with shortcuts …

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
I see that you posted your question after the video that you linked to. If they answer, can you please let us know the answer. I am not aware of a text editor that makes equations so simple. Maybe it is the "magic of video editing".
I have had no answers from them.
However, I have made a video on ##\text{MathType}^{\circledR}## in which you can type equations using shortcuts. Here's the video of it below.

MathType

Likes FactChecker
brotherbobby said:
I have had no answers from them.
However, I have made a video on ##\text{MathType}^{\circledR}## in which you can type equations using shortcuts. Here's the video of it below.

MathType
Thanks! That looks very close. So the only thing to do after that is to edit the video to shorten some pauses. I don't think anyone could do much better without a lot of practice and retakes.

FactChecker said:
Thanks! That looks very close. So the only thing to do after that is to edit the video to shorten some pauses. I don't think anyone could do much better without a lot of practice and retakes.
With more practice, I could write without those pauses. Still, as you noticed, I couldn't do it as well as those guys in the original video.
Of course it's all a bit cosmetic, but can be very useful if you're teaching a classroom.

Likes FactChecker
brotherbobby said:
With more practice, I could write without those pauses. Still, as you noticed, I couldn't do it as well as those guys in the original video.
Of course it's all a bit cosmetic, but can be very useful if you're teaching a classroom.
I am doubtful that the videos in Socratica are done in real time without editing. A professional would routinely edit their videos and possibly splice together cuts from several takes.

Last edited:
brotherbobby said:
That video was made 12 years ago: it looks like the Equation Editor in Powerpoint 2010 or possibly 2007.

I would guess they used a macro recorder to clean up and change the timing of the input keystrokes: that would be easier than editing a video.

1. What is a commonly used software for typing equations in videos?

MathType is a popular software tool used for creating mathematical notation in digital documents and presentations, including videos. It is widely used due to its compatibility with various video editing and presentation software.

2. Can I use LaTeX to type equations for videos?

Yes, LaTeX is an excellent option for typing equations for videos. It is particularly favored in academic and scientific communities for its precision and quality in rendering complex mathematical formulas. You can use LaTeX directly or integrate it with other software like Adobe After Effects or LaTeXiT for video production.

3. Is there any free software that can be used to type equations in videos?

Yes, there are free software options available such as LibreOffice Math and Apache OpenOffice Math. These applications allow you to create mathematical expressions and export them in formats that can be used in video editing software.

4. How can I integrate mathematical equations into video editing software?

Most video editing software does not natively support the direct typing of equations. However, you can create the equations using a dedicated equation editor like MathType or LaTeX, then export them as images or PDFs. These files can then be imported into your video project as graphics.

5. What software do professionals use to type equations in educational videos?

Professional educators and video creators often use a combination of LaTeX and MathType for their high-quality output. For integration into videos, they might use Adobe After Effects, which supports scripts for automating LaTeX typesetting, or Camtasia, which is user-friendly for non-professionals but effective for educational content.