Open source software for integer programming

In summary, the conversation is about the search for an open-source software that can solve integer programming problems using arbitrary precision. The speaker mentions their current use of GLPK and their willingness to write their own solution if necessary. They also mention their preference for a quick solution and their interest in other suggestions, such as Sage. The conversation also delves into the use of linear programming in physics and the speaker's discovery of a solution without using any third-party software.
Aufbauwerk 2045
I don't usually need help in locating software, but I'm having a heck of a time tracking down a good open-source bit of software which solves integer programming problems using arbitrary precision! If I don't find one soon, I'll need to write it myself. Which I don't mind, but it's silly to reinvent the wheel. Besides, the sooner I finish my current math project, the sooner I can get back to physics projects.

I'm using GLPK right now, and it's brilliant up to a point. I could hack on it to make it do what I want regarding big integers, but I prefer not to need to spend the time. So if someone knows about a quick solution, I would appreciate the help.

BTW I have implemented a pure binary solver, but that's not exactly what I need. Not every variable is binary. I think I see a way to overcome this, but once again, I hate spending time on software if it's already available. But it must be free and open source.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Sage? It can do arbitrary precision integer arithmetic.

Likes StoneTemplePython and Aufbauwerk 2045
phyzguy said:
Have you tried Sage? It can do arbitrary precision integer arithmetic.

Thanks, I will check it out! I look forward to other suggestions as well.

p.s. Here's one example of the use of linear programming in physics. It's a fascinating mathematical technique with a huge variety of applications.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0196885887900224

I did come across this reference from Sandia, but it's a bit dated now. Things change fast.

This link opens a PDF.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...3/138847.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0gW8RQLcRX_zipJKcnksdX

Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind. I have solved this problem without using any 3rd party software.

1. What is open source software for integer programming?

Open source software for integer programming is a type of software that is freely available for users to view, modify, and distribute the source code. It is specifically designed for solving integer programming problems, which involve finding the optimal solution for a mathematical model with integer variables.

2. What is the advantage of using open source software for integer programming?

The main advantage of using open source software for integer programming is that it is free to use, modify, and distribute. This can save users a significant amount of money compared to purchasing proprietary software. Additionally, open source software often has a large and active community of developers and users, which can provide support and updates for the software.

3. How does open source software for integer programming differ from proprietary software?

The main difference between open source and proprietary software for integer programming is the level of accessibility and control over the source code. With open source software, the source code is openly available for users to view, modify, and distribute. In contrast, proprietary software has closed source code and users do not have access to the code, making it difficult to customize or modify the software.

4. What are some examples of open source software for integer programming?

Some popular examples of open source software for integer programming include COIN-OR, GLPK, and SCIP. COIN-OR is a collection of open source software packages for optimization, including integer programming. GLPK is a free GNU linear programming kit that includes an integer programming solver. SCIP is a software framework for solving mixed-integer nonlinear programming problems.

5. Can open source software for integer programming be used for commercial purposes?

Yes, open source software for integer programming can be used for commercial purposes. The open source license typically allows for the software to be used for any purpose, including commercial use. However, it is important to check the specific license of the software to ensure that there are no limitations or restrictions for commercial use.