Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
WWGD said:
I always start lying to myself at this point about how great I think Winter really is. And I start complaining at the beginning of March about how I hate it. Otherwise it is too hard to get through it.
No problem, just wait until the next sequence of this sort in 01/02/2103 at 04:05:06 .
Although I'm in good health @72, don't think I'll be there :(, but I'll make an effort :D

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
No rain.
Incredibly beautiful day.
I measured the surface temperature of the front of my house @ 90+°F about an hour ago.
Infrared thermometers, are the bomb.
Though, as I mentioned, they don't work on stainless steel.
Nor, as I discovered the other day, when you point them at the sky.
I decided that my new thermometer was trying to measure the cosmic background radiation temperature, as it was way lower than it should have been.
So I built a thermal reflecting station, above my doorbell.View attachment 76582ps. I missed celebrating the moment, by "that" much.

View attachment 76581

I was out feeding my cat.

It's the thought that counts, I'm in for the evening and in good health :) I added about 300 sq ft of upper level floor space in a 1200 sq ft shop, now I can procrastinate getting rid of stuff a little longer:(:D:eek::(:oops::D

Example of unclear analogies: "Love is like oxygen". What, can you breathe love?
I mean, people often use analogies without specifying the analogous quality . Analogous
in what way?

Last edited:
At the grocery store today, I saw a woman ask a man - a stranger - for help reaching an item on an upper shelf. Nothing strange about that, I do it all the time because I'm about 162 cm. But the woman was very very small, and the man she asked was about my height. He was giggling the whole time -- it was probably the first time he'd ever been asked for help reaching something!

Likes edward and OmCheeto
RonL said:
It's the thought that counts, I'm in for the evening and in good health :) I added about 300 sq ft of upper level floor space in a 1200 sq ft shop, now I can procrastinate getting rid of stuff a little longer:(:D:eek::(:oops::D

The more space you have the more stuff you will have. Way back when my daughter was about 16 I asked her if I could use her playhouse to store some things in. She said; "No but I will sell it to you and you can do what ever you want." Here we are twenty years later and I still have stuff in there.

The top of the desk my wife and I shared was always cluttered. I bought another desk for my office and now they are both cluttered. I haven't been able to close the roll top in years.

edward said:
The more space you have the more stuff you will have. Way back when my daughter was about 16 I asked her if I could use her playhouse to store some things in. She said; "No but I will sell it to you and you can do what ever you want." Here we are twenty years later and I still have stuff in there.

The top of the desk my wife and I shared was always cluttered. I bought another desk for my office and now they are both cluttered. I haven't been able to close the roll top in years.

This is kind of vaguely -related, but something similar happens with building roads and traffic levels; a sort of " if you build it , they (cars) will come": building more roads does not , in general, decrease traffic, because (the theory goes) people are more likely to choose to drive if there are more roads.

Likes edward and RonL
edward said:

I can tell that you know the real truth, so I best leave it at that :eek::)

Danger said:
If you relate to students as well as you do here, you'd own the place.

Danger's theory of relativity.

Likes edward, RonL and drizzle
ImperialThinker said:
Danger's theory of relativity.

I laughed hard at that. Thanks.

WWGD said:
Example of unclear analogies: "Love is like oxygen". What, can you breathe love?
I mean, people often use analogies without specifying the analogous quality . Analogous
in what way?
In that particular instance, the next few lines actually do explain the analogous quality—it's just a really inane and untrue one. (The "oxygen" part is true; the "love" part isn't.) They get points for trying, though.

Love may be oxygen imo... well , they do say, love is in the air.

Likes RonL and drizzle
ImperialThinker said:
Love may be oxygen imo... well , they do say, love is in the air.

Only about 20%.

Consider the #1 delivery method for aphrodisiacs around the world :)

RonL said:
Consider the #1 delivery method for aphrodisiacs around the world :)
I favour injection.

We can't really enjoy
Childhood : Have Time and Energy but no Money
Middleage: Have Money and Energy but no Time
Oldage : Have Time and Money but no Energy
:(:(:(

Likes Danger and drizzle
ImperialThinker said:
We can't really enjoy
Childhood : Have Time and Energy but no Money
Middleage: Have Money and Energy but no Time
Oldage : Have Time and Money but no Energy
:(:(:(
Let me add my agreement, :(:(:(, guess I should remove money from the 2nd and 3rd as well;):(

Likes Danger
A few days ago we had a very odd warm spell here in the Great Pacific Northwest of the US (and beyond): 18C in the middle of December! It broke records!

Well now we have all sorts of insects waking up and being general nuisances. Wasps, flies, mosquitoes - in December?! Well I'd rather deal with the occasional errant wasp than scrape ice from my windshield in the dark winter mornings.

lisab said:
Wasps, flies, mosquitoes - in December?!
Look on the bright side of that. When the weather suddenly snaps back to normal they'll all freeze to death rather than have a nice seasonal change in order to start hibernating. Maybe you'll have a pest-free spring.

Likes lisab
Danger said:
Look on the bright side of that. When the weather suddenly snaps back to normal they'll all freeze to death rather than have a nice seasonal change in order to start hibernating. Maybe you'll have a pest-free spring.
Always finding the silver lining :biggrin:.

lisab said:
A few days ago we had a very odd warm spell here in the Great Pacific Northwest of the US (and beyond): 18C in the middle of December! It broke records!

Well now we have all sorts of insects waking up and being general nuisances. Wasps, flies, mosquitoes - in December?! Well I'd rather deal with the occasional errant wasp than scrape ice from my windshield in the dark winter mornings.

I saw spider-filaments today. I thought that was very odd.
And looking at your link:

Rapid City, South Dakota reached 71 on both Thursday and Friday, marking its first back-to-back readings above 70 on record in the month of December.

70's? In one of the Dakotas? In the middle of December?
Shouldn't they be experiencing Bose-Einstein condensate temperatures?

Likes RonL
I saw a spider , I poured vaseline on the floor and made it walk on it. Then i ripped apart its legs one by one with a pair of forceps, until it had only 2 remaining. then I pourd some salt on it, and then...ss i ripped his insides out by smacking it with yesterday's newspaper.
Maybe i should really go to rehab.

I just made a promise to myself to never again have a beer before I wake up or noon, whichever comes first. (Yes, I can drink in my sleep; I'm just that good. I'm one of the most dedicated alcoholics you'll ever meet. :approve:)

Likes Silicon Waffle
ImperialThinker said:
I saw a spider , I poured vaseline on the floor and made it walk on it. Then i ripped apart its legs one by one with a pair of forceps, until it had only 2 remaining. then I pourd some salt on it, and then...ss i ripped his insides out by smacking it with yesterday's newspaper.
That's torturing :approve:. You're cruel. The whole spider's life is just a finger press away. :DD

Likes ImperialThinker
ImperialThinker said:
... How old are you?

Likes ImperialThinker
Old enough to type sensible English is a safe guess.

ImperialThinker said:
Yesterday I saved a cricket, :) your deed is balanced out :D

Likes nuuskur, ImperialThinker and lisab
nuuskur said:
Old enough to type sensible English is a safe guess.
unpossible.

OmCheeto said:
I saw spider-filaments today. I thought that was very odd.
And looking at your link:

70's? In one of the Dakotas? In the middle of December?
Shouldn't they be experiencing Bose-Einstein condensate temperatures?

And now a rare and nasty looking December tornado in Kansas.

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/Rare-December-tornado-touches-down-in-Harper-County/30237264

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/Rare-December-tornado-touches-down-in-Harper-County/30237264

:nb) Thank goodness, I didn't see cows :)):)

ImperialThinker said:

With most spiders it is safe and easy to pull the legs off with your bare fingers. There are some exceptions.

dfamiw.jpg

This one grabbed a golf club right out of my hands and beat me over the head with it, and at a Christmas party no less.

Likes Danger, ImperialThinker and RonL
edward said:

Whilst googling lisab's post yesterday, I ran across a tornado in Los Angeles, from 3 days ago.

Warning: Lot's and lot's of colorful beeping!

edward said:
With most spiders it is safe and easy to pull the legs off with your bare fingers. There are some exceptions.

dfamiw.jpg

This one grabbed a golf club right out of my hands and beat me over the head with it, and at a Christmas party no less.

I take it, that you want another clue?

Likes edward
Do you guys get this overwhelming urge to troll sometimes or is it just me ?
troll_face_by_nintendude64-d3c7tvg.jpg

RonL said:
I didn't see cows
They were moving too fast.

T-300