Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
lisab said:
Lost power last night, along with thousands of my fellow Washingtonians. One tree branch and BOOM, we're back in the 17th century.
I always wonder when I see a post like this. How do you get on the internet without any power? :oldconfused:

Likes RonL
Physics news on Phys.org
I am bored.
sshot50a3aba7c1e61.jpg

Likes DennisN, collinsmark, RonL and 1 other person
lisab said:
Lost power last night, along with thousands of my fellow Washingtonians. One tree branch and BOOM, we're back in the 17th century.
Do you have a MacGyver to call in such circumstances ?:eek::nb)

I've been watching the impact of falling oil prices on energy stocks. Oil stock prices are down significantly. Investors are taking a bath in oil. :oldtongue:

Borg said:
I've been watching the impact of falling oil prices on energy stocks. Oil stock prices are down significantly. Investors are taking a bath in oil. :oldtongue:

I sure looked hard at some of the companies working the Eagle Ford Shale, one of the good things about NOT having that cushion to play with.:)

lisab said:
I lose power from 20-50 times per year. At my place is not even about tree branches. Transformers simply explode out of pleasure.

There is only one power company in the whole country and is under control of the government. They are highly corrupted and care not about customers because if it is not with them, you have nothing. It's not like you can say: "If you don't fix this I'm leaving." because there is no other power company you can go to. And even though the service is so terrible the kWh is at 27 cents. And the last person who questioned them about why it was so expensive got threatened by the company with getting arrested.

Down to the point: Welcome to the 17th century lisab. There is a lot of things I can teach you from this primitive age.

EDIT: I'm saving to buy solar panels, a wind turbine, and a bank of batteries.

Likes lisab
Psinter said:
I lose power from 20-50 times per year. At my place is not even about tree branches. Transformers simply explode out of pleasure.

There is only one power company in the whole country and is under control of the government. They are highly corrupted and care not about customers because if it is not with them, you have nothing. It's not like you can say: "If you don't fix this I'm leaving." because there is no other power company you can go to. And even though the service is so terrible the kWh is at 27 cents. And the last person who questioned them about why it was so expensive got threatened by the company with getting arrested.

Down to the point: Welcome to the 17th century lisab. There is a lot of things I can teach you from this primitive age.
It isn't all bad, is it? You get a chance to sit by the fire, enjoy a glass of wine, engage in quiet, gentle conversation. Not a bad way to spend an evening.

EDIT: I'm saving to buy solar panels, a wind turbine, and a bank of batteries.
Excellent idea. Solar panels, etc., are to energy as cell phones were to communication.

lisab said:
..Solar panels, etc., are to energy as cell phones were to communication.

Not sure if it's me or the cold I'm having, but my mind got stuck reading this. :D

15821846340_9f4be29e02_o.png

Likes lisab, Borg and Danger
DennisN said:
15821846340_9f4be29e02_o.png
^Me in grade 5 with a power socket and a power testing screwdriver thingy. Accidentally touched the shaft and then went on to repeat 4-5 times because it made my arm all tingly and shaky. I was not a smart kid.

Likes RonL
OmCheeto said:
Here's a picture he took from his houseboat:
Very nice picture! Smoke on the water...

Likes OmCheeto
DennisN said:
Very nice picture! Smoke on the water...

Smoke on the water ...don't Google that

Likes OmCheeto
Adobe wants the password to my computer to install the latest update. Is that normal, or is it a clever scam?

zoobyshoe said:
Adobe wants the password to my computer to install the latest update. Is that normal, or is it a clever scam?
Zooby, that sounds really suspicious to me. That has never happened to me. Which OS are you running? And if it is Windows, do you know if you are logged in as administrator or not?

I used to think that the word homogeneous referred to an extremely smart gay person.
(makes more sense when you hear the word than when you read it).

Last edited:
Lol WWGD

I met someone who could have starred in Short Attention Span Theater yesterday. I'm sure she doesn't remember me though. :oldeyes:

Last edited:
lisab said:
It isn't all bad, is it? You get a chance to sit by the fire, enjoy a glass of wine, engage in quiet, gentle conversation. Not a bad way to spend an evening.Excellent idea. Solar panels, etc., are to energy as cell phones were to communication.
How did you know? You must be psychic. That happens every single time. No kidding. Except for the wine. I drink fruit juice instead. o:)
drizzle said:
Not sure if it's me or the cold I'm having, but my mind got stuck reading this. :D
Get better soon drizzle.

Thanks Psinter.

lisab said:
About a month ago, an old friend notified me that we were to have a nasty wind storm in the next few days.
So I checked out my battery backup system, and discovered that my 1 kwh capacity battery, had been reduced to about 0.05 kwh capacity.
So I bought a new battery.
The wind storm broke a 45 foot tall tree in half, that was strategically placed, in my front yard, to give me nightmares, day sweats, and general anxiety, up until my brother showed up on Saturday, when we brought it down, in a most youtube worthy manner. It took us over 6 hours.
Anyways, the top NOAA recorded wind gust yesterday, down here, was 130 mph. (Mt. Hebo)
Never lost power.

Left a bit of a mess though, on inspection, this morning. On a back of my hand calculation, I think I have roughly 13,000 Douglas Fir tree cones in my yard.
(6600 ft2 * 2 cones/ft2 = 13,200 cones)
It sounded like Santa and his reindeer were on my roof all night.
Thump... thump. thump thump... thump.

OmCheeto said:
Anyways, the top NOAA recorded wind gust yesterday, down here, was 130 mph. (Mt. Hebo)

Hmmm... I guess I'm just used to living in a windy area.
I would have never guessed that a mere 130 mph is "Cat 4", on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

Or, maybe it was the time I changed the lightbulb, on the flight deck of the USS Saratoga, off the coast of Florida, somewhere in the Atlantic ocean, sometime in the summer of 1979, during a hurricane.

Which kind of reminds me of a news flash I saw this morning.

hmmm...

I hate this time of the year.
:headbang:

One of my favourite video games: Heroes of might and magic 3 is getting a remake, but unfortunately Ubisoft is going to remake the weakest game in the H3 series :< *tears*

Enigman said:
Would a hug from someone in the sisterhood make it better:oldconfused::oldsmile: (not me, just to be clear):oldlaugh:

Enigman, let it go!

RonL said:
(not me, just to be clear):oldlaugh:
You haven't got a choice in the matter.
*BearHug*

I just realized that Friday the 13th falls on Saturday this month. Churchill "churchy"La Femme may he rest in peace.

Enigman said:
You haven't got a choice in the matter.
*BearHug*
Well I wasn't even down, but now I feel much better, THANKS:w:D

12/13/14 15:16:17 :oldsmile:

Likes collinsmark and edward
Borg said:
12/13/14 15:16:17 :oldsmile:

Drats, I missed it, I was out in the shop building a second floor. :oops: now I need to get back to work:D

RonL said:
Drats, I missed it, I was out in the shop building a second floor. :oops: now I need to get back to work:D
I'll celebrate it for you, Ron. It's only 13:09, over here on the commie coast. :)

OmCheeto said:
I'll celebrate it for you, Ron. It's only 13:09, over here on the commie coast. :)
Your a real pal Om, I can go out again feeling all is well :D had to come in and get a refresher screwdriver so that I can steady my balance while walking the 2 X 6 joist, using a real power screw driver:). It's a pretty good day here, hope you haven't had too much rain:(

Enigman said:

I always start lying to myself at this point about how great I think Winter really is. And I start complaining at the beginning of March about how I hate it. Otherwise it is too hard to get through it.

RonL said:

No problem, just wait until the next sequence of this sort in 01/02/2103 at 04:05:06 .

RonL said:
Your a real pal Om, I can go out again feeling all is well :D had to come in and get a refresher screwdriver so that I can steady my balance while walking the 2 X 6 joist, using a real power screw driver:). It's a pretty good day here, hope you haven't had too much rain:(
No rain.
Incredibly beautiful day.
I measured the surface temperature of the front of my house @ 90+°F about an hour ago.
Infrared thermometers, are the bomb.
Though, as I mentioned, they don't work on stainless steel.
Nor, as I discovered the other day, when you point them at the sky.
I decided that my new thermometer was trying to measure the cosmic background radiation temperature, as it was way lower than it should have been.
So I built a thermal reflecting station, above my doorbell.
pf.2014.12.13.1533.psycho.om.thermometer.jpg

ps. I missed celebrating the moment, by "that" much.

pf.2014.not.12.13.15.16.17.poop.missed.it.by.that.much.jpg

I was out feeding my cat.