Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
  • #1,751
The Lake Lure [NC] Flowering Bridge, re-purposed from an old highway bridge after a new one was built alongside it:

flowerbridge-small.jpg

This is a panorama made from five separate photos. Here's a larger version.

It's early in the year, so there aren't many flowers out yet.

Last edited:
Likes Rive, DennisN, Tom.G and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,752
The Flathead V8. From when cars didn't look like they are made out of Electric shavers.
IMG_20240227_072139.jpg

Likes Rive, fresh_42, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,753
_nc_ohc=tyuhTjO_XDYAX-p899L&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-2.jpg

The photographer claimed he hadn't performed any manipulations. This is the original shot.

• Care
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, Rive, DennisN and 4 others
  • #1,755
Andy Resnick said:
"Where is the newspaper?"
"Dad, you're so old-fashioned. Here is my iPhone."
I didn't care. The fly is dead.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Rive, Bystander and 1 other person
  • #1,756
More from Lake Lure last weekend. The lake itself was almost non-existent! Fortunately it's only temporary. [And as I note in a later post, this is a small, shallow section of a much larger and deeper lake.]

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and morrobay
  • #1,757
"Lake Maintenance"

Here are two words I never thought of seeing together!

• #1,758
jack action said:
"Lake Maintenance"

Here are two words I never thought of seeing together!
Its a fisheries and aquaculture thing.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and jack action
  • #1,759
My solar panel plants are looking pretty good.
1709144320344.png

Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
  • #1,760
BillTre said:
Its a fisheries and aquaculture thing.
Where'd they put the fish during this maintenance?

• #1,761
berkeman said:
Depends what they are doing.

Fish can be pumped out for harvest using special pumps.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes Rive, collinsmark and berkeman
  • #1,762
berkeman said:
I expect the fish migrated to deeper parts of the lake. The section I visited, with the marina, beach and water park, is at the end of the western arm of the lake, where the Broad River flows in. See e.g. Google Maps. This section is much shallower than the rest of the lake. I haven't found a depth map yet, but I did find a site noting that the lake has a maximum depth of 104 ft.

When I left, I drove along the south shore for a while before turning south. This road (US-74A) is rather twisty so I had to keep my eyes mostly on the road, not the lake. Nevertheless, I remember seeing clear stretches of water, with lake houses and their docks perched several feet above the current water level, at the top of bare slopes.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
  • #1,763
Maintenance can involve doing different things with different requirements.

Lakes and ponds made for production purposes are often designed with features like deeper areas at one end where the fish will collect when the water level is dropped.

In addition, a big thing in aquaculture design and engineering is designing tanks and ponds for which are self cleaning to different extents which minimizes the maintenance required.

Fish are usually raised in batches (as opposed to continuous cultures) so the fish can be completely removed, simplifying maintenance.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
  • #1,764
======== Possibly off topic =========

But continuing the current tangent, a new video from Practical Engineering was released today about fish movement in man-made systems, particularly in this case: a dam. It's quite fascinating.

=============================

• Informative
Likes BillTre
  • #1,765
collinsmark said:
======== Possibly off topic =========

But continuing the current tangent, a new video from Practical Engineering was released today about fish movement in man-made systems, particularly in this case: a dam. It's quite fascinating.

=============================

I always thought that when the lights dimmed for about a second it was because a fish had gone through the turbine. Haha....

• Wow
Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #1,766
IMG20240307172755.jpg
IMG20240307172733.jpg
IMG20240307172833.jpg
Thats $214 .for one lobster ? .So asked my Thai girlfriend to ask the vender.* She calls lobster shrimp in LINE translation
IMG20240307202709.jpg

Likes Ibix, jtbell, Rive and 1 other person
  • #1,767
They are panulirus (very small (tini-wenie) pincers) lobsters not humarus lobsters (big pinchers).

Likes Ibix and morrobay
  • #1,768
Springtime is slowly arriving, so here are some early spring flowers:

125.jpg

130.jpg

136.jpg

151.jpg

160.jpg

Likes jtbell, morrobay, collinsmark and 5 others
  • #1,769
1709833612275.png

Spring is coming.

Likes jtbell, morrobay, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,770
We're getting the first spring flowers here, too. For some reason, these like to grow in the cracks in our ancient asphalt driveway.

damifino.jpg

Once upon a time, a biology professor was conducting a botany lab by walking around campus with his students, identifying and sketching plants and flowers. A student spotted some small purple flowers. "What are those?"

Professor: "Hmm... damn if I know."

When the professor reviewed the students' lab notebooks, he found one with a careful sketch of those flowers, labeled "purple damifino".

So that's how I think of these when I see them every spring, even though they're more pink than purple. :wink:

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Rive, Ibix, collinsmark and 8 others
  • #1,771
duckies.jpg

• Love
Likes Rive and DennisN
  • #1,772
Today I was at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds for a coin/stamp/postcard show. Nearby was one station of the "State Fair Flyer" chairlift ride. I noticed the station's name is "Wilbur".

IMG_0439.jpeg

Hmmm. I thought, I bet the other station's name is "Orville". I hiked to the other end, and sure enough...

IMG_0440.jpeg

Likes DennisN, Rive, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #1,773
Well clearly I'll need to do more reading about this encoding...

1710107050641.png

• Love
Likes DennisN, Rive, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,774
berkeman said:
One channel pushes the needle left/right and the other up/down, IIRC. I think the arrows may be trying to point out vinyl structures that are "mostly a ridge" and "mostly a joggle".

Edit: or possibly the orthogonal directions are the two diagonals - that might make more sense.

Edit 2: apparently it is the diagonals: https://www.stereophile.com/content/how-does-stereo-vinyl-record-work.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
  • #1,775
And in the 1970s there were quadraphonic (4-channel) LPs, with the four channels encoded into the two physical LP channels in such a way that they could be decoded on playback. There were several incompatible schemes for this, and so the whole concept was never very successful commercially.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

IIRC some audio receivers or preamplifiers had multiple quad decoding circuits, with a selector knob that you set according to the type of quad LP you were playing. This was high-end stuff that I couldn't afford in my poor student days.

Likes dlgoff, DennisN, nsaspook and 2 others
  • #1,776
berkeman said:
One of my previous workplace tried to dabble into touchless digitalization of wax recordings. (Some 20+ years ago, when it was still relevant/revolutionary). Not something simple...

• #1,777
jtbell said:
There were several incompatible schemes for this, and so the whole concept was never very successful commercially.
The neat thing about the stereo system in @berkeman's photo is that both diagonal channels have a component in the horizontal direction that a mono player expects. So if you only have a mono player you get an average of the two channels, but a stereo player plays the two independently. So I think it still works for the less affluent customer. I'm guessing the quadraphonic system did not...

• Informative
Likes BillTre, berkeman and jack action
  • #1,778
1710183646417.png

Likes DennisN
  • #1,780
On my way home from Raleigh today, I stopped in High Point NC. This is billed as the "World's Largest Chest of Drawers".

IMG_4349.jpg

Just outside town, the Furnitureland South complex has what looks like an even larger chest of drawers, but it's only a façade.

IMG_4345.jpg

Nearby Thomasville has "The Chair".

IMG_4366.jpg

If one could climb on it, it would be a great place for railfans to sit and watch trains. :cool:

IMG_4364.jpg

Likes morrobay, Rive, DennisN and 3 others
  • #1,781
I obviously can't take credit for this gif but the large chest of drawers posted by @jtbell sure made me think of Seinfeld. Room for more than just a tourist per drawer. 😆

UhP41w.gif

• Haha
Likes Rive, DennisN and jtbell
  • #1,783
jtbell said:
This is billed as the "World's Largest Chest of Drawers".
With already half pairs of socks looks authentic enough :wink: