Random Photos

In summary: I only remember the Canadian part.I took this photo of some Canadian wolves a few weeks ago.In summary, the photo is of Canadian wolves.
They would not be a match for Wonder Woman
IMG_20220707_183305.jpg
<

Physics news on Phys.org
collinsmark said:
Yes, the low water level of Lake Mead should probably be getting more news attention than it is. This could be a really serious issue. There's a lot of people who rely on this source of water.

That, and some other disheartening news lately has pushed me to indulge in some of my escapist tendencies and start another playthough of Fallout: New Vegas, of which Lake Mead plays a pretty prominent role.

For this playthough, I'm playing as Congresswoman Ilhan Omar. The playthough is not over yet, but it's looking like she'll side with the NCR in an effort to bring democracy and the rule of law to New Vegas.

View attachment 303945
US House Representative Ilhan Omar at the edge of Lake Mead (Fallout: New Vegas).
Sorry, an inexpert, vague and oldish (~20 y ago) memory, but I remember a talk in which it was said that the preparatory studies for the Hoover dam etc. included the historic data on rainfall in the region in the then past. This expert produced data (I think from tree ring analysis) showing that during the period reached by those researches rainfall had been exceptionally high and a longer term past average was only something like 2/3 as much.
There must be someone here who knows more about this.

morrobay said:
That looks like amazing airbrush work!

Jodo said:
That looks like amazing airbrush work!
All natural taken with 0PPO A12 phone. As are photos of same Thai lady: posts #654, #624, #600 above. There is a lot of variation in the natural light here. Pattaya/Naklua/Jomtien. And if your referring to her good muscle tone. She is an up country farm girl. *** Just noticed you were referring to bus photo
export1657495917785.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to make most of the day. It's Webb day despite attempts to hijack it. Anyway walking around town, seething a bit, hoping I don't get into an argument on PF then I bumped into this. Bearing in mind recent discussions on Abiogenesis and the TOE.

Attachments

• IMG_20220712_113546.jpg
    IMG_20220712_113546.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 61
"Hoping I don't get into an argument on PF" Could have fooled me : Creation on a science forum ?

morrobay said:
"Hoping I don't get into an argument on PF" Could have fooled me : Creation on a science forum ?
I thought it was funny as today is such a huge day for Science. Those guys were in my town, never seen them before.
I asked for permission to post it here. Tongue in cheek.
The argument worry was the Webb thing. It's ok now.

Likes Oldman too
pinball1970 said:
I thought it was funny as today is such a huge day for Science. Those guys were in my town, never seen them before.
I asked for permission to post it here. Tongue in cheek.
This where an emoji could be useful: :wink:

• Love
Likes Oldman too
BillTre said:
This where an emoji could be useful: :wink:
Never doing it Bill. The guys were actually very nice.
I asked if I could take an image and post it on a science forum called physics forums.
They said yes and told me they were very pro Science.
I thanked them.

pinball1970 said:
Those guys were in my town, never seen them before.
Really? They used to be all over the place down here (London/Kent), then they disappeared since COVID, and they're starting to appear again now.

Ibix said:
Really? They used to be all over the place down here (London/Kent), then they disappeared since COVID, and they're starting to appear again now.
Yes. Hyde Cheshire. Never seen them before.
One lady used to come to my apartment regularly for talks and tea when I lived in Stockport.
Usually Sunday morning.

Likes Ibix
pinball1970 said:
Yes.
Maybe we were a trial area or something. Haven't had any come to the door in years so maybe they're trying to get the mountain to come to them, as it were.

Likes pinball1970
Ibix said:
In Manchester a lot yes. I always prickle at the headline, 'was life created.'
I usually talk to them. Not today though. Nick Lane has published a new book, should be a good reference.

Likes Oldman too and Ibix
pinball1970 said:
They said yes and told me they were very pro Science.
I have a lot of thoughts on their statement... I'm PMing you a link that you might find interesting. While I do think it would be "post-able" here, it does run the risk of offending certain religious .org's, so better safe than sorry.

Likes pinball1970
IMG_20220714_164205.jpg

Likes epenguin and DennisN
Mondayman said:
Ny new number one guitar, an Epiphone 1959 LP Standard. Plays and sounds amazing, for $1150 you have a quality guitar. I personally think Gibson is overpriced. They are fantastic instruments for sure, but considering you're paying atleast $3000 Canadian for a standard guitar, Epiphone is a really bang for your buck choice. That being said, I would spend an eons worth of wages to get my hands on a Jimmy Page LP..
Epiphones are indeed very good quality. My first guitar, given to me by my uncle when I was 7, was an epiphone excellent 12 acoustic ( I believe it was a 1970 model ).
People would always reply after I showed them what was in the box " Your uncle give that to you?!? He really loves you! "
I think he paid near $1000 for it back then.

Congrats on your latest axe purchase!

Note - as I near retirement my wrists are getting to sore to play much now. I probably will be Ebaying a few guitars in the next few years ( I collected guitars through the 80's before I got married ).

1967 Gibson SG decent condition - I paid 300 for it in 1978. I could eBay that now for $10K no problem.
1969 Stratocaster
1971 Strat with 1969 neck and wiring/pickups
1977 Gibson LP Custom
1979 Strat highly modified with a Floyd Rose whammy and locking nut
1988 Charvel 475 Custom Deluxe - my fav axe. It is an extension of my left arm.

I have a 1970 Martin D25 that will be creamated with me when I die.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, Mondayman and DennisN
Jodo said:
1967 Gibson SG decent condition - I paid 300 for it in 1978. I could eBay that now for $10K no problem.
1969 Stratocaster
1977 Gibson LP Custom

I have a 1970 Martin D25 that will be creamated with me when I die.
Very nice! Do you have any photos of them? It would be fun to see what they look like.

I've got a 1976 Stratocaster (US) and also a Fender Super Reverb amp (1980s, if I remember correctly).

One of my friends who I also played in a band with became a guitar collector (and guitar effects collector too) in the 1990s. It's actually thanks to him I've got my nice Strat and Fender amp.

I've also got an Epiphone Les Paul, by the way. It's lovely.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970 and Mondayman
DennisN said:
I've also got an Epihone Les Paul, by the way. It's lovely.
I bought an Epiphone 59 Les Paul when it came out, it's been my number one since then. I replaced the Burstbucker pickups with a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. It sounds great and plays amazing, I really like the fat neck.

MY LP ONE.jpg
MY LP two.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Jodo said:
1969 Stratocaster
1977 Gibson LP Custom
I am sincerely jealous, what a good collection of guitars. That Charvel must be a beauty to play.

Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
Very nice! Do you have any photos of them? It would be fun to see what they look like.

I've got a 1976 Stratocaster (US) and also a Fender Super Reverb amp (1980s, if I remember correctly).

One of my friends who I also played in a band with became a guitar collector (and guitar effects collector too) in the 1990s. It's actually thanks to him I've got my nice Strat and Fender amp.

I've also got an Epiphone Les Paul, by the way. It's lovely.
Some lovely guitars I these posts.

I bought a Jackson during Covid, I am not a good lead player by any stretch so as long as it stays in tune (relatively) I am happy.

I’m a chord guy.

My friend tried to sell me his flying V, it looks cool as hell but try playing the damn thing sat down, it just keeps sliding off your leg!

Likes Mondayman and DennisN
Mocha coffee in Jomtien
IMG_20220722_112551.jpg
IMG_20220722_113456.jpg

Likes Oldman too, DennisN and BillTre
pinball1970 said:
My friend tried to sell me his flying V
They are iconic guitars but terrible to play. I personally hate the design myself. There's a reason they aren't the most popular Gibson designs.

pinball1970 said:
I’m a chord guy.
What kind of tunes? Rock, country, everything?

Though they would never be considered the best acoustic players, always loved what Keith Richards and Jimmy Page did acoustically.

Mondayman said:
They are iconic guitars but terrible to play. I personally hate the design myself. There's a reason they aren't the most popular Gibson designs. What kind of tunes? Rock, country, everything?

Though they would never be considered the best acoustic players, always loved what Keith Richards and Jimmy Page did acoustically.
Jimi looked cool as hell with his flying V. I think that made me think about it.
It was Hendrix though so he could make anything look cool as hell.

My friend taught me some classical pieces and another friend taught me some Beatles so it went from there.
If there is a nice tune in there I will get the chords and play it. 1960s and 70s are best for pop but I like some Jazz too.
I played guitar in a cover band, Thin Lizzy Don't believe a word, Some Heart, Zombie. Nothing particularly taxing.

I learned piano so I could play my favourite tracks from the Beatles, Elton John, Kate Bush, David Bowie.

I can't do fiddly stuff on either in terms of fast runs. My fingers won't play ball.
Lady Madonna and Martha my dear, is as tricky as I get.

• Informative
Likes DennisN, Oldman too and Mondayman
pinball1970 said:
My friend tried to sell me his flying V, it looks cool as hell but try playing the damn thing sat down, it just keeps sliding off your leg!

Mondayman said:
They are iconic guitars but terrible to play.

I agree. :) They can look as being quite nice to play, but no, I don't fancy the design. I don't think they are comfortable at all.

An added benefit of having a bandmate who became a guitar and effects collector is that I got to try quite a lot of different guitars (and effects), including various vintage Gibsons, Fenders, a Gretsch Country Gentleman and also some lesser known guitar brands.

And I've also tried quite a lot of different amps. Before I got my Fender Super Reverb I had a British Vox AC30 (actually not the guitar amp version, but the bass amp version). I remember I traveled to London just to get an amp on the second hand market there (and also a guitar on Denmark Street) because the prices were better in the UK compared to Sweden.

Funny thing is that nowadays I would have preferred to keep the Vox AC30 instead of switching to Fender Super Reverb. Not that the Fender amp is bad, it certainly is good, but I think I still favor the Vox sound.

Oh by the way, I'd like to mention that my latest guitar purchase was a cheap Harley Benton Cabronita copy (link). It's actually surprisingly good, I'm very pleased with the buy. It's a little bit more of an unusual type. It looks like a Telecaster, but it has a chambered body and Gretsch Filtertron-style pickups which make it sound quite different than all my other guitars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Oldman too and pinball1970
More experimental photography, this time some magic with the Helios 44 lens (58mm, f/2, M42)...

(I notify @Andy Resnick since you said you were interested in this before. I don't know if you can mount M42 lenses with your gear, though).

I reversed the front element of my Helios 44 lens as suggested by this video, and took it out for a ride. It was incredibly fun to shoot with it, and you can get photos with a very unique and dreamlike character.

It was unlike anything I've ever tried before. I'd say shooting with the lens like this is not primarily about image sharpness (and you will certainly NOT get any accurate reproduction of a scene, except in the absolute center in some cases). Instead it's all about feeling, "dreaminess" and weirdness in the photos.

I first went to a nearby old amusement park to try it out on plants, and when I was shooting it felt a bit like being Alice in Wonderland. :smile:

Great masterwort (Astrantia major)
- as can be seen in the photo you can get a very soft focus photo in the center with some crazy "magic" around it. But I like it.
1 - Great masterwort (Astrantia major).jpg

Glowing leaves
- quite dreamlike, I think. There are a lot of purple and orange light artifacts seen here, which I've seen in photos by others using a Helios 44 with a reversed front element. I wonder if those colors come from different coatings in the lens, perhaps?
2 - Glowing Leaves.jpg

Granny's bonnet (Aquilegia) (says Google Picture search)
- a quite crazy photo with a lot of artifacts.
3 - Granny's bonnet (Aquilegia).jpg

A pink flower in the magic garden
- another photo with swirls and artifacts
4 - Pink Flower.jpg

I later went to another park and shot some roses.

A red rose in the magic garden
- this is my personal favorite from the session.
52244719950_99ae1c18cf_o.jpg

A leaf with raindrops
52244721855_c8f4d542e9_o.jpg

And last, two photos which show what you typically get with a lens like this used in street photography:

20 - Street 1.jpg

21 - Street 2.jpg

All in all, it was very fun to shoot with the lens modified like this. :smile:

Likes Oldman too, berkeman, Andy Resnick and 5 others
DennisN said:
More experimental photography, this time some magic with the Helios 44 lens (58mm, f/2, M42)...

(I notify @Andy Resnick since you said you were interested in this before. I don't know if you can mount M42 lenses with your gear, though).

All in all, it was very fun to shoot with the lens modified like this. :smile:
Thanks for the inspiration!

Likes DennisN
Animal time!
I was on my way home and stumbled over not one, but two unexpected surprises. :smile:
In the park I spotted a large bird I had never seen before, and thankfully I had my camera with me.

The very cool-looking (in my opinion) heron:

DSC01157m1.jpg

"Hunchback style":
DSC01137m1.jpg

The sharpest shot I got was this:
(though the bird was a bit in the shade here. I told it to move, but it didn't listen to me!)

DSC01150m1.jpg

And later I got lucky again! I very seldom see butterflies here, but when I was shooting some flowers a beautiful butterfly suddenly came by and landed on one of the flowers in front of me. It was far easier to shoot than bees, as this butterfly stayed on the flower for ca 30 seconds or more. :smile:

Red admiral (Vanessa atalanta):

Spreading its wings on the flower:
52251152168_46a2e6d098_o.jpg

A little more "3D" here:
52251637985_023060528f_o.jpg

Fuelling is done. Ready to takeoff:
52251152143_38c47c63d5_o.jpg

And last, a photo which isn't that sharp, but I thought it was cool that the eye of the butterfly can be seen here:

5-DSC01242m1.jpg

• Love
Likes collinsmark, Oldman too, BillTre and 3 others
That does look like a heron. Where is @Astranut when you need him? (He is a twitcher)
The colours in the Butterfly images are stunning @DennisN

Likes Astranut and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
The colours in the Butterfly images are stunning @DennisN
Thanks! Well, actually I can't take credit for the colors. The credit goes to Mother Nature and Japanese optical engineering (Canon). :smile:

Likes Oldman too and pinball1970
DennisN said:
Thanks! Well, actually I can't take credit for the colors. The credit goes to Mother Nature and Japanese optical engineering (Canon). :smile:
The next door neighbor had carp in a pond which attracted a heron. Quite a site, a large and rather majestic bird and not one you get in your garden.
He covered the pond with mesh and I was really disappointed when it stopped visiting.
I googled and all the Heron images have longer necks but your neck of the woods may be different.
The colours and body look heron like. Great pics though. Ornithology was my baby steps towards Science, I still have great affection for birds.

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
That does look like a heron.
Yes, that would be a blue Heron, they are very common here in Montuna (misspelling is intentional). While in flight the neck is stretched considerably compared to when resting, (This isn't my image, just a convenient screen shot).
Blue Heron.PNG

Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Oldman too said:
Yes, that would be a blue Heron, they are very common here in Montuna (misspelling is intentional). While in flight the neck is stretched considerably compared to when resting,
Looks more like a grey heron, common here in the UK.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, Oldman too, berkeman and 1 other person
Jonathan Scott said:
Looks more like a grey heron, common here in the UK.
Hello @Jonathan Scott, its good to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you and the family.
I had no idea that these birds also lived in Europe until seeing @DennisN posting the photos, guess I hadn't even thought about it. I'm used to them being referred to as "blue herons", the concept of grey herons was new to me, so checking into it, this is what I discovered. When I pulled up the picture that I posted, I used the phrase, "blue heron in flight image". After reading your reply, I repeated that again but substituted grey in place of blue. These are the results.
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/blue-heron-in-flight?
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/grey-heron-in-flight?
It looks like I've gotten hung up on semantics. Obviously, by the images that come up, we're both talking about the same bird, just different labels. Its easy to see where grey and blue are both quality's involved.
Take care, Scott

Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Oldman too said:
(This isn't my image, just a convenient screen shot)
That's a lovely photo, by the way.

Likes Oldman too
Oldman too said:
Obviously, by the images that come up, we're both talking about the same bird, just different labels.
Not quite; the blue and grey are slightly different. In the UK (and Europe in general) we have the grey heron. In the same general family, we also have little egrets and occasional great egrets, especially in recent years. Here's a crop from a lucky (although distant) photo I took at Radipole Lake, Weymouth, a few years ago, which shows a grey heron, great egret and little egret:
1659254827961.jpeg

I currently have a Lumix TZ200 (Travel Zoom) compact camera (called ZS200 in the USA) which is very convenient to take everywhere with me, with excellent optical zoom and a reasonable electronic viewfinder. The above picture was taken with an earlier Lumix TZ8, which was mostly good but had an autofocus mechanism that often seemed to deliberately avoid the intended subject, especially at close range, even when macro was enabled. I take photos of birds, butterflies and any other form of wildlife for later identification, and flowers mostly because I like the pretty colours!

Likes DennisN, Oldman too, collinsmark and 1 other person