Question on positive displacement piston pumps

In summary, the conversation discussed the functioning of a positive displacement piston pump used for pumping hydraulic oil. The question was raised about how the oil can travel along the rotational path and compress if it is incompressible. The answer was provided that the oil flows into the piston chamber as it increases in volume and out again as it decreases. The picture posted showed semicircular slots that allow the piston to move along them as it rotates. It was also mentioned that this concept is also used in screw pumps.
steves1080
This is a very simple question but I am struggling to grasp the answer. My question is in regards to a positive displacement piston pump.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0d/Axial_piston_pump.svg/686px-Axial_piston_pump.svg.png

Say you are using this machine to pump hydraulic oil from one reservoir to another. How can this work? The reason I am confused is that I understand oil as being incompressible, so my question is how can the oil travel along the rotational path as the piston chamber reduces in volume. Essentially, how is the fluid compressing during operation?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are right that the oil is (almost) imcompressible. The oil flows into the piston chamber as it increases in volume and out again as it decreases. The inlet and outlet "holes" in the picture you posted are actually semicircular slots and the piston moves along them as it rotates.

This might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mh902AP7Yw

Thank you for the reply. That is my question though - if the fluid is incompressible, then how can it travel along the length of these slots if the volume of each piston chamber decreases along the path of travel?

Oh nevermind, I just had the obvious a-ha moment. It's just moving fluid, not compressing it. I see the slots now. Thanks

That's what 'positive displacement' means: the fluid is shunted along by the motion of the pistons as the wobble plate rotates. It also works for screw pumps, too.

Related to Question on positive displacement piston pumps

1. How does a positive displacement piston pump work?

A positive displacement piston pump works by using a reciprocating piston to displace fluid through a chamber and out through a discharge valve. As the piston moves back and forth, it creates a vacuum that draws fluid into the chamber and then pushes it out through the discharge valve.

2. What types of fluids can be pumped using a positive displacement piston pump?

A positive displacement piston pump can be used to pump a wide range of fluids, including liquids, gases, and even highly viscous fluids. This makes them a versatile choice for various industries, including chemical, pharmaceutical, and food processing.

3. What are the advantages of using a positive displacement piston pump?

One of the main advantages of a positive displacement piston pump is its ability to deliver a consistent and precise flow rate. They are also highly efficient and can operate at high pressures, making them suitable for pumping thick or difficult-to-handle fluids. They also have a simple design, making them easy to maintain and repair.

4. What are some common applications for positive displacement piston pumps?

Positive displacement piston pumps are commonly used in applications where a reliable and precise flow rate is required, such as in chemical processing, oil and gas production, and wastewater treatment. They are also used in food and beverage production, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and in hydraulic systems.

5. How do you maintain a positive displacement piston pump?

To ensure the efficient operation of a positive displacement piston pump, regular maintenance is essential. This includes checking and replacing worn or damaged parts, lubricating moving components, and cleaning the pump to prevent buildup of debris or contaminants. It is also important to monitor the pump's performance and address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.