Calculate force to lift piston from a given closing pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force required to close a valve on an annular bop using a hydraulic system. The documentation states that a hydraulic pressure of 3000 PSI is needed to close the valve. The formula for calculating the force is provided, but the resulting force seems to be too high. The conversation then explores the concept of hydraulic leverage, where a large force is generated on a small piston and then transmitted through the hydraulic system to apply a larger force on a larger piston. This principle allows for the generation of huge forces in hydraulic systems.
CraigH
I am trying to calculate the force required to close the valve on an annular bop. A rubber ring (called a packing unit) closes around the pipe when a force is applied from underneath, as shown here. The actual valve has the hydraulic fluid coming into a chamber that goes the around the outside of the main body, which then lifts a piston which applies the force to the packing unit, as shown here. In the documentation for the bop it says that the hydraulic pressure required to close or open the valve is 3000 PSI.

From this, how do I calculate the force to close the valve?

I assume you just multiply 3000 by the area the pressure is acting on:

##3000*6894.7*( π*R_o^2 - π*R_i^2)##

Where ##R_i## and ##R_o## are the inner and outer radius of the ring, shown in the picture in the second link. Units of these are meters. ##6894.7## is to convert from PSI to ##N/m^2##.

But this gives a HUGE force. Am I doing something wrong in the maths? Or am I interpreting the documentation wrong. Does a 1500PSI closing pressure not mean that you have to apply 1500PSI of pressure to the hyrdaulic fluid acing on the outer ring of the piston? Maybe it means that 1500PSI is needed to squish the packing unit so it closes? In this case what information do I need and how do I calculate the force required to close the valve?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
CraigH said:
But this gives a HUGE force.
You're trying to crush a pipe closed. It's not like kinking a garden hose in your fist.

Bystander said:
You're trying to crush a pipe closed. It's not like kinking a garden hose in your fist.

That's true, but for the valve I am looking at the forces calculate at values between 2.5 and 4.0 Mega Newtons. This is ridiculous isn't it? I've never really studied hydraulics, so I can only compare it to an electric motor. For a motor to provide 4.0 Mega Newtons it would have to be geared massively. Is it normal for hydraulics to provide this amount of force? It seems strange without something equivalent to gearing.

Could you please explain it in electric motor terms? It makes sense that a small motor can provide a big force because of conservation of energy
##E_m = E_e##
##E_m=Torque*ω##
##E_e = I*V*time## and
##Torque=Force*Distance##

In a small motor you can gear it so for the same produced torque you can move less distance and instead use more force. So its creating more force but moving less. The energy is being used more for force and less for distance.

How does a hydraulic pump create so much force? What are the similarities / analogy with motor gearing?

CraigH said:
similarities / analogy with motor gearing?
Pump: large force on small piston gives high pressure in hydraulic line/system; actuator in system applies that high pressure to piston with large area to generate a very large force. Pinion:pump::bull gear:piston.

Bystander said:
Pump: large force on small piston gives high pressure in hydraulic line/system; actuator in system applies that high pressure to piston with large area to generate a very large force. Pinion:pump::bull gear:piston.

Am I also correct in saying that because the fluid is incompressible, and the volume out of the smaller piston equals the volume into the bigger piston; then the smaller piston will move more than the bigger piston. Is this just the basic principle to why hydraulics can provide such huge force? because you can apply the pressure to a much larger area?

Yes. That's your gearing/leverage/mechanical advantage.

Bystander said:
Yes. That's your gearing/leverage/mechanical advantage.

Is there a name for this principle? e.g "hydraulic leverage"

None of which I'm aware --- doesn't mean there isn't.

Likes CraigH

Related to Calculate force to lift piston from a given closing pressure

What is the formula for calculating the force needed to lift a piston from a given closing pressure?

The formula for calculating the force needed to lift a piston from a given closing pressure is F = P x A, where F is the force in newtons, P is the closing pressure in pascals, and A is the area of the piston in square meters.

How do I determine the closing pressure of a piston?

The closing pressure of a piston can be determined by using a pressure gauge or by calculating it using the ideal gas law. The ideal gas law equation is P = nRT/V, where P is the pressure in pascals, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume of the gas in cubic meters.

What factors affect the force needed to lift a piston?

The force needed to lift a piston is affected by the closing pressure, the size of the piston, and the type of gas used. Other factors that may affect the force include temperature, altitude, and humidity.

Can I use the same formula for calculating the force to lift a piston regardless of the type of gas?

Yes, the formula F = P x A can be used to calculate the force needed to lift a piston from a given closing pressure, regardless of the type of gas used. However, the value for P will be different depending on the gas being used due to variations in the gas constant and the ideal gas law equation.

What units should be used when calculating the force to lift a piston?

The force should be calculated in newtons and the pressure should be in pascals. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to get an accurate calculation. If necessary, conversions can be made using unit conversion factors.