Quantum-Classical limit of Zonal Harmonics

In summary, the conversation is about a study of spherical harmonics, specifically the zonal harmonics with set m=0. The classical limit for the equatorial harmonics (set m=l) is clear, as the particle converges to a Dirac delta along the equator. However, the speaker has proven that the zonals do not converge to a Dirac delta at the north and south pole, but instead converge to a fixed Bessel function. There is some discussion about the mathematical meaning of this and the possibility of quantum scattering being involved. The speaker also mentions their personal thoughts on the matter and asks if anyone knows why the zonals converge slower.
"pi"mp
Hi all, I'm studying the spherical harmonics, specifically the zonals (set m=0). With the equatorial harmonics(set m=l), the classical limit is pretty darn clear; the particle just accumulates to a Dirac delta along the equator, but I've proven that the zonals don't converge to a Dirac Delta at the north and south pole. They certainly accumulate there, but they converge to a fixed Bessel function instead of a genuine Dirac. Does anyone have any ideas on the classical picture emerging here? I've heard some talk of quantum scattering but I'm really not sure.

My personal thought is that with the equatorials, there is really only one plane perpendicular to the z axis and we know the angular momentum vector converges to the z-axis ==> by symmetry, they must necessarily be "orbiting" in a plane in the limit. However, with the zonals, all we know is that the z component of the angular momentum is zero. But there are infinitely many planes with normals vectors of zero z component. Is there some kind up superposition going on here that's preventing us from getting a genuine Dirac?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
With the equatorial harmonics(set m=l), the classical limit is pretty darn clear; the particle just accumulates to a Dirac delta along the equator, but I've proven that the zonals don't converge to a Dirac Delta at the north and south pole.

What do you mean by classical limit - limit of one Y function for large [itex]l[/itex]?

And what is mathematical meaning of "particle just accumulates to a Dirac delta" ? That the probability density [itex]|\psi|^2[/itex] localizes around the equator and falls to zero elsewhere?

There is no reason why the spherical functions should give localized prob. distribution around poles or elsewhere - typically these functions are non-zero all over the sphere.

I've proven that the modulus square of the equatorial harmonics (m=l) genuinely converge to a "line Dirac Delta" so to speak at the equator. This is the classical limit because it corresponds to orbital motion (in the limit, of course)

However, the zonal harmonics (m=0) accumulate at the north and south pole but they're not quite genuine Dirac Delta functions. The zonals converge to a Bessel functions with a slightly modified argument. Buy yes, in all of this I mean l going to infinity.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why the zonals converge slower.

Related to Quantum-Classical limit of Zonal Harmonics

1. What is the quantum-classical limit of zonal harmonics?

The quantum-classical limit of zonal harmonics refers to the point at which the behavior of a quantum mechanical system becomes indistinguishable from that of a classical system. This occurs when the quantum numbers associated with the system become large enough that their effects on the system can be neglected.

2. How is the quantum-classical limit determined for zonal harmonics?

The quantum-classical limit for zonal harmonics can be determined by comparing the quantum mechanical equations for the system to the classical equations. When the quantum numbers become large enough, the quantum equations and classical equations will yield similar results.

3. Why is the quantum-classical limit important for zonal harmonics?

The quantum-classical limit is important for zonal harmonics because it helps us understand the behavior of the system at different scales. It allows us to bridge the gap between the quantum and classical worlds and make predictions about the behavior of the system at different energy levels.

4. Can the quantum-classical limit of zonal harmonics be exceeded?

Yes, the quantum-classical limit of zonal harmonics can be exceeded in certain cases. This occurs when the system is subjected to extreme conditions, such as high energies or strong interactions, that cause the classical equations to break down and the quantum effects to become dominant.

5. How does the quantum-classical limit of zonal harmonics relate to other quantum phenomena?

The quantum-classical limit of zonal harmonics is just one example of the broader concept of the quantum-classical correspondence. This correspondence is seen in many other quantum phenomena, such as the transition from discrete energy levels to continuous energy spectra and the transition from wave-like to particle-like behavior.