About precessing directon of angular motion in quantum mechanics

In summary: Thanks a lot. I think I get some idea... the z-axis is just a reference direction that everything is projected onto?In summary, the z-axis is a reference direction that is used in the mathematics to represent the angular momentum in a specific direction.
KFC
Hi all,
I got a feeling that learning quantum mechanics is easy and hard. Most of time, it is easy to "accept" all the concepts given in the book by simply looking at their mathematical interpretation. But it is hard if you really take it serious to try to understand everything from the physical knowledge learned in classical point of view.

One problem I am learning is about the (quantized) angular momentum. The classical picture of angular momentum is pretty straightforward. Though the quantization of the angular momentum in quantum physics is not a super hard concept to accept (at least from math used to solve the PDE of Schrodinger), I still got stuck on some aspect especially on the z component of the angular momentum. My textbook emphasizes that angular momentum does not have a prefer direction. If that's the case, what's the point to select a special axis z for problem analysis. Or I ask which direction is really the z axis pointing to? I was told that the electron could have many different angular momentum pointing different direction and all those angular momenta are precessing about a same axis called z axis. It is confusing why they all precessing about the same direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The z axis for the particle with angular momentum may point in any direction in the lab.
A gyroscope may be set spinning in any orientation, but it definitely has an axis of rotation, and maybe of precession, what would you use to refer to it?

You can also establish a reference axis using lab equipment, as in the stern-gerlach experiment.
An electron in an atom experiences a direction imposed by the nuclear magnetic moment.

In another sense... it can be like how everything has x,y, and z components to linear velocity.
How does everything have the same set of axes?

Simon Bridge said:
The z axis for the particle with angular momentum may point in any direction in the lab.
A gyroscope may be set spinning in any orientation, but it definitely has an axis of rotation, and maybe of precession, what would you use to refer to it?

You can also establish a reference axis using lab equipment, as in the stern-gerlach experiment.
An electron in an atom experiences a direction imposed by the nuclear magnetic moment.

In another sense... it can be like how everything has x,y, and z components to linear velocity.
How does everything have the same set of axes?

Thanks. I am still digesting this information. But as I can understand form above so far, since the angular momentum does not have prefer direction, so you could always call a specific direction as z so you could project whatever angular momentum onto that z and the associated x and y, is that what you mean?

We know form the text that the z components of the angular momentum is quantized and has the value of ##m_l\hbar##, so does it mean no matter what z axis is, you always have the z component as ##m_l\hbar##? This is quite confusing. Let's assume there is a magnetic field pointing upward but I choose the z axis of our system along the direction making 45 degree to the magnetic field, will the z component of the angular momentum still be ##m_l\hbar##?

KFC said:
Thanks. I am still digesting this information. But as I can understand form above so far, since the angular momentum does not have prefer direction, so you could always call a specific direction as z so you could project whatever angular momentum onto that z and the associated x and y, is that what you mean?
Close: see below.

We know from the text that the z components of the angular momentum is quantized and has the value of ##m_l\hbar##, so does it mean no matter what z axis is, you always have the z component as ##m_l\hbar##?
It means that whenever you measure the amount of angular momentum in some direction, that direction becomes the direction used in the general form of the mathematics and labelled "the z-direction" in the equations.

Let's assume there is a magnetic field pointing upward but I choose the z axis of our system along the direction making 45 degree to the magnetic field, will the z component of the angular momentum still be ##m_l\hbar##?
No - the angular momentum is quantized in the direction you measured it, all you did was use a different label.

Did you look up the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Simon Bridge said:
Close: see below.

It means that whenever you measure the amount of angular momentum in some direction, that direction becomes the direction used in the general form of the mathematics and labelled "the z-direction" in the equations.

No - the angular momentum is quantized in the direction you measured it, all you did was use a different label.

Did you look up the Stern-Gerlach experiment?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot. I think I get some idea now.

Related to About precessing directon of angular motion in quantum mechanics

1. What is the precessing direction of angular motion in quantum mechanics?

The precessing direction of angular motion in quantum mechanics refers to the direction in which the angular momentum of a quantum particle or system rotates. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is often visualized as a spinning top or gyroscope.

2. How does the precessing direction of angular motion affect quantum particles?

The precessing direction of angular motion plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of quantum particles. It affects the energy levels, spin, and magnetic properties of the particles, as well as their interaction with external fields and other particles.

3. Can the precessing direction of angular motion be changed or controlled?

Yes, the precessing direction of angular motion can be changed or controlled through various methods, such as applying external magnetic fields or manipulating the quantum state of the particle. This is a key aspect of quantum computing and other quantum technologies.

4. What is the relationship between precessing direction and quantum entanglement?

The precessing direction of angular motion is closely linked to quantum entanglement, which is a phenomenon where particles become intrinsically connected and their properties are entangled. Entangled particles will have opposite precessing directions, meaning that a change in one particle's precessing direction will result in a corresponding change in the other particle's precessing direction.

5. How does the precessing direction of angular motion relate to the uncertainty principle?

The precessing direction of angular motion is related to the uncertainty principle, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that certain properties of particles, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously known with precision. The precessing direction of angular motion is one of the properties affected by the uncertainty principle, as it is impossible to know both the direction and speed of rotation of a particle's angular momentum at the same time.