Pursuing More Physics and Math

• Thread starter HumanDrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school who has already taken and done well on AP Physics and Calculus BC exams. They are looking for recommendations on books to continue learning about physics and math since their school does not offer advanced classes. The speaker is advised to consider an introductory modern physics textbook, which is often taken by college students after their freshman physics course. They also inquire about the difficulty of self-studying from a textbook designed for classroom use.
HumanDrew
Hey, so this is my situation. I'm a senior at high school and I have already taken all three AP Physics exams which I did well on. I also did well on the Calculus BC exam too. However, Physics and Math are still my favorite subject and I don't know how I should continue learning about it. My school does not offer any advanced physics class and I already took AP calculus at our school. So pretty much I'm asking is if you guys have any recommended books for physics and/or math that I should studying on my own time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might consider an "introductory modern physics" textbook like the ones I mention in the post linked below. Many college/university students take such a course right after their "freshman physics" course which the AP courses are supposed to be like.

Best way to tackle modern physics with engineering background

jtbell said:
You might consider an "introductory modern physics" textbook like the ones I mention in the post linked below. Many college/university students take such a course right after their "freshman physics" course which the AP courses are supposed to be like.

Best way to tackle modern physics with engineering background
Ok thanks! I will definitely check it out. One more thing. Since the textbook is supposed to be used in classroom setting, will the textbook be hard to self study with?

Related to Pursuing More Physics and Math

1. What is the importance of pursuing more physics and math?

Pursuing more physics and math can lead to a deeper understanding of the natural world and its laws. These subjects also provide valuable problem-solving skills and analytical thinking that are applicable in many fields, such as engineering, finance, and computer science.

2. How can one prepare for studying physics and math at a higher level?

To prepare for studying physics and math at a higher level, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of calculus and be proficient in critical thinking and problem-solving.

3. What are some career options for those with a background in physics and math?

Some common career options for those with a background in physics and math include research scientists, engineers, data analysts, actuaries, and teachers. These fields often require strong quantitative and analytical skills, making a background in physics and math highly desirable.

4. Is it necessary to have a natural talent for physics and math to pursue it further?

While some people may have a natural aptitude for physics and math, it is not a requirement to pursue it further. With dedication, hard work, and good study habits, anyone can improve their skills in these subjects and achieve success.

5. What resources are available for those interested in learning more about physics and math?

There are many resources available for those interested in learning more about physics and math. These include textbooks, online courses, educational websites, tutors, and study groups. It is also beneficial to engage in hands-on activities and experiments to better understand the concepts taught in these subjects.