AP textbooks for Physics and Calculus

In summary: People don't like the way it is organized. It's very dense and difficult to follow.In summary, the author recommends using a different book, College Physics, which is a book used in high school that has a "5" on the AP Physics B test.
Maddie1609
Hi,

I'm studying on my own for AP exams a year from now and need some advice on which books to get. I'm taking AP calculus (AB or BC, haven't decided yet), AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism, and AP Physics C: Mechanics. I already have a Calculus book by Ron Larson, is this sufficient to prepare for the calculus exam?

Also, should I take AB or BC? Is BC a lot harder? Will universities be more forgiving of the score if I take BC over AB? Is it extremely hard to get a 5 in these exams? I've never taken an AP exam (or course).

Physics news on Phys.org
Does Fundamentals of Physics Extended by Halliday and Resnick (10th edition) cover everything in the AP physics exams?

Larson should be enough for ap calculus. Not sure for physics, but giancoli physics scientist and engineers, would cover what you need at that level. Out college introductory text cover the same msterial. It should not really matter if your aim is to pass ap test.

MidgetDwarf said:
Larson should be enough for ap calculus. Not sure for physics, but giancoli physics scientist and engineers, would cover what you need at that level. Out college introductory text cover the same msterial. It should not really matter if your aim is to pass ap test.
Thanks, I ordered fundamentals of physics extended, hopefully it's enough for at least AP Physics 1 and 2. What so you mean? Why shouldn't it matter? :smile:

Because you can go into more detail, such as, spivak for calculus and kolenkow and kleppner for mechanices. However, these books require a level of maturity. Spivak is more theoretical and sure you will understand calculus, but the ap exam is more about technique ie applying a formula, then it is about understanding.

Likes Maddie1609
Does anyone know which books are good for AP physics 1 and 2 and both AP physics C exams?

AP Physics 1+2 are largely algebra-based and I would recommend College Physics by Geller & Young (used in high school, received a "5" on AP Physics B test). Another strong alternative is Serway/Vuille.

AP Physics C is calculus-based and Halliday/Resnick is a great book for that (regular version covers both Mech. and E&M, so it is comprehensive, no need for extended)
My high school used Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli - i thought the book was great. Either book will prepare you well for the AP Physics C Test.

I think you should just study for AP Calculus and Physics C. Physics C gives you the advanced credit that Physics 1+2 would not. Physics 1+2 covers more topics and would be a waste of time if you were to just pass out of Physics C (Physics 1+2 covers waves, optics, heat, not covered in either Physics C test).

For Calculus AB/BC (took BC), any of the books by the following authors would be fine.
Larson, Hostetler, Edwards (you have this, so use this - great book)
Rogawski
Stewart
Thomas (used in high school)

Last edited:
Likes Maddie1609
Dexter K said:
AP Physics 1+2 are largely algebra-based and I would recommend College Physics by Geller & Young (used in high school, received a "5" on AP Physics B test). Another strong alternative is Serway/Vuille.

AP Physics C is calculus-based and Halliday/Resnick is a great book for that (regular version covers both Mech. and E&M, so it is comprehensive, no need for extended)
My high school used Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli - i thought the book was great. Either book will prepare you well for the AP Physics C Test.

I think you should just study for AP Calculus and Physics C. Physics C gives you the advanced credit that Physics 1+2 would not. Physics 1+2 covers more topics and would be a waste of time if you were to just pass out of Physics C (Physics 1+2 covers waves, optics, heat, not covered in either Physics C test).

For Calculus AB/BC (took BC), any of the books by the following authors would be fine.
Larson, Hostetler, Edwards (you have this, so use this - great book)
Rogawski
Stewart
Thomas (used in high school)
Thank you so much! Great advice, I actually think I'll just take Physics C then :D Saves me some money and stress, and give me more time to focus on physics c and calculus. Thanks again!

Dexter K said:

I seem to recall there was something I didn't like about that Serway book. Oh yes, it gets tons of negative reviews.

Related to AP textbooks for Physics and Calculus

1. What is the difference between AP Physics and AP Calculus textbooks?

The main difference between AP Physics and AP Calculus textbooks is the subject matter. AP Physics textbooks cover topics in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. AP Calculus textbooks cover topics in differential and integral calculus, as well as applications such as optimization and related rates. Both textbooks also include practice problems and sample questions to prepare students for the AP exams.

2. Are there any recommended AP Physics and Calculus textbooks?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks for AP Physics and Calculus, including the "University Physics" series by Young and Freedman for AP Physics and the "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" series by Stewart for AP Calculus. However, it ultimately depends on the individual student's learning style and preferences.

3. Can I use the same AP Physics textbook for both AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2?

No, AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 cover different topics and have different exam formats. It is recommended to use a textbook specifically designed for each course to ensure coverage of all necessary material.

4. Do AP Physics and Calculus textbooks cover all the content needed for the AP exams?

Yes, AP Physics and Calculus textbooks are designed to cover all the content and skills needed for the corresponding AP exams. However, it is important to supplement with additional practice problems and review materials to fully prepare for the exams.

5. Is it necessary to purchase an AP Physics and Calculus textbook if I am taking the class?

While it is not required, it is highly recommended to have a textbook for AP Physics and Calculus classes. Textbooks provide a comprehensive overview of the material, practice problems, and explanations that can greatly aid in understanding and preparing for the AP exams.