Recommended books for a physics undergrad

Emi_Garrido
Hello! I'm new here. I'm on my first year of physics at the UNAM, in Mexico, and I want to now which books and resources would you recommend me to 'survive' in the career, not just in physics, but also in the mathematical formalism for subjects such as geometry, abstract algebra, calculus, programming, etc. I've studied physics and a bit of calculus before and I'm in an intermediate kinda level.

Likes vanhees71 and jbergman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Emi_Garrido , and
:welcome: ##\qquad##!​

Here at PF we actively encourage self-support.
So: what did you find in this forum so far ? Anything you like better than other stuff ?

And: what kind of physicist do you want to be ? Theoretician :smile: ?

##\ ##

Emi_Garrido said:
Hello! I'm new here. I'm on my first year of physics at the UNAM, in Mexico, and I want to now which books and resources would you recommend me to 'survive' in the career, not just in physics, but also in the mathematical formalism for subjects such as geometry, abstract algebra, calculus, programming, etc. I've studied physics and a bit of calculus before and I'm in an intermediate kinda level.
At the bottom of this page you will find a list of links "Suggested for:" your subject question. Maybe start by reading through a few of those to see some of the typical suggestions.

What Physics and Math textbooks are you using now in university?

Likes vanhees71

1. What are the best books for a physics undergrad?

The best books for a physics undergrad will vary depending on the individual's learning style and the specific course they are taking. However, some commonly recommended books for physics undergrads include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

2. Are there any online resources for recommended physics books?

Yes, there are many online resources for recommended physics books. Some popular websites include Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Additionally, many universities have online bookstores or recommended reading lists for their physics courses.

3. How do I choose the right physics book for my level?

Choosing the right physics book for your level can be challenging, but there are a few things to consider. First, look at the level of the book (e.g. introductory, intermediate, advanced) and compare it to your current knowledge and understanding of physics. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students who have taken the same course.

4. Are there any free or affordable options for recommended physics books?

Yes, there are many free and affordable options for recommended physics books. Some websites, such as Project Gutenberg, offer free e-books of classic physics texts. Additionally, many libraries have a wide selection of physics books that can be borrowed for free. Online marketplaces like eBay and ThriftBooks also offer affordable used copies of popular physics books.

5. Can I use older editions of recommended physics books?

In most cases, using an older edition of a recommended physics book should be fine. However, it's important to check with your professor or course syllabus to ensure that the content and assignments align with the current edition. Some older editions may have outdated information or different problem sets, so it's best to double-check before using an older edition.