Proton Distance Help: Find After .5s

• Thread starter matt72lsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, the problem asks for the distance traveled by a proton in a uniform electric field after .5 seconds. Using the equation x = vot + 1/2at^2, the attempted solution resulted in a distance of 1.2m, but the correct answer is .3m. The correct approach is to first find the acceleration, a, using the equation Fe = q*E = ma, and then use kinematics to calculate the distance. It is important to apply knowledge from previous classes when solving problems.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at t=o in a uniform electric field whose magnitude is 2.5e-8 N/C. How far has the proton traveled after .5 s?

Homework Equations

x = vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 1/2(9.81)(.5)^2 = 1.2 but it says the answer is .3m. I'm prety sure I'm using the correct equation so I don't know what is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

matt72lsu said:

Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at t=o in a uniform electric field whose magnitude is 2.5e-8 N/C. How far has the proton traveled after .5 s?

Homework Equations

x = vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 1/2(9.81)(.5)^2 = 1.2 but it says the answer is .3m. I'm prety sure I'm using the correct equation so I don't know what is wrong.

Fe = q*E = ma Solve for acceleration, a, first. Then do your kinematics. The proton is accelerating in an electric field, I am assuming you don't have to worry about g... Have you not been studying E fields in your class? Remember what you are studying in class and then apply to the "old" ways.

thanks!

matt72lsu said:
thanks!

happy day

I would first check the units of the given electric field magnitude, which is in N/C. This unit can also be written as V/m, indicating that it is a measure of electric field strength. The equation you used, x = vot + 1/2at^2, is the equation for calculating displacement in a constant acceleration scenario, such as free fall. However, in this case, the proton is experiencing a constant force in the form of an electric field, which results in a constant acceleration. Therefore, the correct equation to use is x = 1/2at^2, where a is the acceleration due to the electric field, which can be calculated using F=ma.

In this case, the proton has a mass of 1.67e-27 kg, and the given electric field has a magnitude of 2.5e-8 N/C. Plugging these values into F=ma, we get an acceleration of 1.5e-19 m/s^2.

Now, using the equation x = 1/2at^2, we can calculate the distance traveled by the proton after 0.5 seconds as x = 1/2(1.5e-19)(0.5)^2 = 1.9e-20 meters. This is equivalent to 0.19 nanometers, or 0.3m as stated in the answer. Therefore, the correct answer is indeed 0.3m, and the discrepancy in your calculation may be due to using the incorrect equation or not considering the units of the given electric field magnitude.

Related to Proton Distance Help: Find After .5s

1. What does "Proton Distance Help" mean?

"Proton Distance Help" refers to a tool or method used in scientific research to determine the distance traveled by protons within a certain time period.

2. How is proton distance measured?

Proton distance is typically measured using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy, or X-ray crystallography.

3. Why is it important to find the distance traveled by protons?

Knowing the distance traveled by protons is important in understanding the structure and behavior of molecules, as protons play a key role in chemical reactions and interactions between molecules.

4. What does "Find After .5s" mean in the context of "Proton Distance Help"?

"Find After .5s" indicates that the proton distance is being measured after a specific time period of 0.5 seconds.

5. Can proton distance help be used in fields other than chemistry?

Yes, proton distance help can also be used in fields such as physics, biochemistry, and materials science, where understanding the behavior of protons is crucial to studying the properties of different substances.