Find the position of a proton in an E and B field

In summary, the helix path of a proton in a magnetic field is good enough for questions (a), but the equations for velocity and acceleration do not work when the magnetic field is not there. To calculate the velocity in the z direction, you can use the equation for displacement and add the time variable.
zehkari
Homework Statement
(See Attempt).
Relevant Equations
(See Attempt).
Hello all,

I have a question with the helix path of proton in a magnetic field that I am a bit stuck on.

Question:

OQ5oJRa.jpg

Equations:
F = qv X B
F = mv^2/r
d=vt

My Attempt:

Think the graph drawn is good enough for questions (a). However, I am stuck on (b) and (c).
Firstly I am not entirely sure what question (b) is asking, the position where? At t = 0?
And then I can obtain an equation for the position of the proton after three complete revolutions (c), which is three 'pitches'. But I do not have the velocity in the z direction.

I also think I am overlooking the Electric field here. Which could play a role with the velocity in the z direction.

So I am not sure how to calculate the velocity in the z direction and what question (b) is asking.

dJx7Hx3.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
zehkari said:
I also think I am overlooking the Electric field here. Which could play a role with the velocity in the z direction.
What would be the motion of the proton if the magnetic field were not there? Would it move in a straight line or accelerate? In this case, you can simply superimpose the motion in the electric-field-only case and the motion in the magnetic-field-only case. (Why?)

Likes zehkari
kuruman said:
What would be the motion of the proton if the magnetic field were not there? Would it move in a straight line or accelerate? In this case, you can simply superimpose the motion in the electric-field-only case and the motion in the magnetic-field-only case. (Why?)

The motion of the proton in the z direction would be due to the electric field applying a linear acceleration?

So you could say the velocity in the z direction is:

$$v_z = u_z + at$$

So,

$$v_z = at $$

But as ##a = \frac{Eq}{m}##, then,

$$v_z = \frac{Eq}{m}t$$

Displacement could be found with another kinematic equation as well,

$$z = \frac{1}{2}\frac{Eq}{m}t$$

Am I on the right track? I am still confused with adding a time variable to the problem.

Thank you for your time.

*Edit:

Also a quick question, would ##v_z = \frac{E}{B}## work for the velocity? As I thought this only worked when the electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic.

zehkari said:
The motion of the proton in the z direction would be due to the electric field applying a linear acceleration?
Yes.
zehkari said:
So you could say the velocity in the z direction is:$$v_z = u_z + at$$So,$$v_z = at $$
Yes.
zehkari said:
But as ##a = \frac{Eq}{m}##, then,$$v_z = \frac{Eq}{m}t$$
Yes, except what you have above is ##a_z##, not ##a##.
zehkari said:
Displacement could be found with another kinematic equation as well,$$z = \frac{1}{2}\frac{Eq}{m}t$$
No. The ##z##-component of the position goes as ##t^2.##
zehkari said:
Am I on the right track? I am still confused with adding a time variable to the problem.
You are on the right track, but what do you find confusing about the time variable? In this case the motion in the ##xy##-plane is independent of the motion in the ##z##-direction.
zehkari said:
Also a quick question, would ##v_z = \frac{E}{B}## work for the velocity? As I thought this only worked when the electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic.
It only works when you have crossed electric and magnetic fields and it is the condition for the particle to emerge move in a straight line through the field region when its velocity is perpendicular to both fields. It is irrelevant to the situation you have here.

Likes zehkari
kuruman said:
No. The ##z##-component of the position goes as ##t^2.##

Yeah, sorry didn't double check.

kuruman said:
You are on the right track, but what do you find confusing about the time variable? In this case the motion in the ##xy##-plane is independent of the motion in the ##z##-direction.

Question (b) asks to find the position of the proton along the z direction.
Does this mean at ##t = 0##? If so the equations found for velocity and accerlation on the z plane do not work? As I can't think of a way to avoid having both unkown variables of time and distance using kinematics.

kuruman said:
It only works when you have crossed electric and magnetic fields and it is the condition for the particle to emerge move in a straight line through the field region when its velocity is perpendicular to both fields. It is irrelevant to the situation you have here.

Thank you.

Hey, I think I have the correct method now:

As,
$$z = \frac{1}{2}\frac{Eq}{m}t^2$$

And the time would be the same as one pitch (T), then,
$$z = \frac{1}{2}\frac{Eq}{m}T^2$$

With substituion,
$$z = \frac{1}{2}\frac{Eq}{m}{(\frac{2m\pi}{bq})}^2$$

For part (c), 3 revolutions would be ##(3T)^2##.

For (b) I obtain a position of 4 meters. Which is slightly smaller than the radius.

For (b) you need to provide the ##z## coordinate as a function of time, that is for any time ##t##. You have done that.
For part (c) you need to provide all three components of the position vector.

Likes zehkari
Thank you.

Related to Find the position of a proton in an E and B field

What is an E and B field?

An E and B field, also known as an electric and magnetic field, is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force due to their charge.

How do E and B fields affect protons?

Protons, being positively charged particles, will experience a force in an E and B field. The direction and magnitude of this force depend on the strength and orientation of the field.

How can I find the position of a proton in an E and B field?

The position of a proton in an E and B field can be determined using the Lorentz force equation, which takes into account the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the velocity and charge of the proton.

What is the Lorentz force equation?

The Lorentz force equation, named after physicist Hendrik Lorentz, is an equation that describes the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It is F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

Can the position of a proton in an E and B field change?

Yes, the position of a proton in an E and B field can change as the strength and orientation of the fields change, or as the proton's velocity or charge changes. This is why the Lorentz force equation is useful for calculating the position of a proton in different situations.