Dependence of an electric field on distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in electric field magnitude when a proton moves away from a charged object or an electric dipole. The correct equation for this scenario is E=kqa/z^3, which takes into account the distance from the source charge and the charge magnitude of the source. The electric field magnitude will be increased to 2 times the original magnitude for a charged object, and to 8 times the original magnitude for an electric dipole.
downbra

Homework Statement

A proton located several proton diameters away from a small charged object carrying charge q is subject to an electric field of magnitude E. As the proton moves a distance d along the x-axis away from the object, the electric field magnitude drops to E/4.

If the charged object had instead been an electric dipole (with a charge of magnitude q on each end) oriented in the z direction, by what factor would the initial electric field magnitude E have changed as the proton receded by distance d along the x axis?

The electric field magnitude will be increased to 2 times the original field magnitude .
The electric field magnitude will be decreased to 1/8 of the original field magnitude .
The electric field magnitude will be increased to 8 times the original field magnitude.
The electric field magnitude will be decreased to 1/2 of the original field magnitude.
The electric field magnitude will be decreased to 1/4 of the original field magnitude .
The electric field magnitude will be increased to 4 times the original field magnitude .

Homework Equations

E = kq / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

E / 4 = 2 kq / d^2

So, after setting up this equation I thought that the electric field magnitude will be increased to 2 times the original magnitude. This answer was incorrect. What am I doing wrong..?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at your equation for the electric field. Does it depend on the probe charge that you put on the space?

JulioHC said:
Take a look at your equation for the electric field. Does it depend on the probe charge that you put on the space?

it depends on other variables as well, right?

downbra said:
it depends on other variables as well, right?
It depends on the distance from the source charge and in the charge of the source. So, does the change in the electric field depends on the probe charge?

JulioHC said:
It depends on the distance from the source charge and in the charge of the source. So, does the change in the electric field depends on the probe charge?

it depends on the distance from the source as well

downbra said:

Homework Equations

E = kq / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

E / 4 = 2 kq / d^2
How did you come up with this equation? You should think about what the relevant equation you listed is for. Does it apply here?

Remember that an electric dipole is a positive charge on one side and a negative charge on the other side.

JulioHC said:
You've misunderstood the problem.

vela said:
You've misunderstood the problem.
You are right. I'm very sorry if I have caused any confusion.

vela said:
How did you come up with this equation? You should think about what the relevant equation you listed is for. Does it apply here?
the equation I listed is for electric fields. My thought was since their are 2 charges I should add a 2 in front of the q. I guess their is some new equation I wasn't taught...?

That equation is for the electric field of a point charge, so it doesn't apply for a dipole, which is what you have here.

Likes downbra
vela said:
That equation is for the electric field of a point charge, so it doesn't apply for a dipole, which is what you have here.
after some digging, is this the right equation? E=kqa / z^3

You tell us. Remember you're going to need to decide on these things on your own on the exam!

1. What is the relationship between distance and electric field strength?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

2. How does the distance affect the direction of the electric field?

The distance does not affect the direction of the electric field. The direction of the electric field is always from positive charges to negative charges.

3. Can the electric field strength be zero at any distance from the source?

Yes, the electric field strength can be zero at a certain distance from the source. This occurs when the distance is large enough that the electric field from the source is cancelled out by the electric field from other sources.

4. How does the distance affect the shape of the electric field lines?

The electric field lines become more spread out as the distance from the source increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, causing the field lines to become less concentrated.

5. What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).