Parallel plate capacitor: Proton vs Electron

In summary, an electron is released from rest at the negative plate of a parallel-plate capacitor with a speed of 2.2X10^6m/s.
Kmol6

Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at the positive plate of a parallel-plate capacitor. It crosses the capacitor and reaches the negative plate with a speed of 51000 m/s .
What will be the final speed of an electron released from rest at the negative plate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling as to what equations to use, I've tried using KE, assuming that the KE in the system is the same for both the Proton and the Electron, but that didn't work. I've also tried to find the magnitude of the electric field and work back to a kinematic equation, I'm so stuck . I could really just use some guidance as to where to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kmol6,

I've fixed the missing formatting template headers in your post. Please do not delete them.

Kmol6 said:
I'm struggling as to what equations to use, I've tried using KE, assuming that the KE in the system is the same for both the Proton and the Electron, but that didn't work. I've also tried to find the magnitude of the electric field and work back to a kinematic equation, I'm so stuck . I could really just use some guidance as to where to start.
Since you don't know anything about the dimensions of the capacitor you're not likely to have much luck finding the electric field.

When you say that you tried using KE, what does that mean exactly? What equations did you use (Hence the importance of the Relevant equations section of the formatting template)? Can you show your attempt?

KEi + PEi = KEf+PEf

1/2mv^2 +mgh= 1/2mv^2 + mgh

1/2(9.11x10^-31kg)(51000)^2 + 0 = 1/2 (1.67X10^-27)(V)^2 +0
Vf=1284 m/s

You've swapped the roles of the proton and electron. It was the proton that went first and ended up with a speed of 51000 m/s.

Since it's not the conditions of the same particle that you are comparing, the conservation of energy law is not where you should start. What you're looking for is the formula that gives the work done on a charge falling through a given potential difference, hence the energy imparted. You can then claim that since the charges on the electron and proton are identical, they must both gain the same amount of kinetic energy. Then you can equate the KE's of each.

1/2mv^2=qDeltaV?
Then sub the answer for delta V into DeltaU=qDeltaV using q as 1.602X10^-19C
and then plug Delta U into 1/2mv^2=DeltaU and solve for v^2 of the electron?
(I think systematically, combining equations isn't easy for me)
I got 2.2X10^6m/s ?

Kmol6 said:
1/2mv^2=qDeltaV?
Then sub the answer for delta V into DeltaU=qDeltaV using q as 1.602X10^-19C
and then plug Delta U into 1/2mv^2=DeltaU and solve for v^2 of the electron?
(I think systematically, combining equations isn't easy for me)
I got 2.2X10^6m/s ?
That's the idea. Your result looks good.

Note that since qΔV is the same for both particles you can write:

##\frac{1}{2} m_ev_e^2 = q ΔV = \frac{1}{2} m_pv_p^2##

##m_ev_e^2 = m_pv_p^2##

##v_e = \sqrt{\frac{m_p}{m_e}}v_p##

Thank you!

What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device that is used to store electrical energy. It consists of two parallel plates that are separated by an insulating material, and it is commonly used in electronic circuits.

How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by storing electrical charge on its plates when it is connected to a power source. The positive charges accumulate on one plate, while the negative charges accumulate on the other plate. The insulating material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing between the plates.

What is the difference between a proton and an electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

A proton is a positively charged particle, while an electron is a negatively charged particle. In a parallel plate capacitor, protons and electrons behave differently due to their opposite charges. Protons will be attracted to the negatively charged plate, while electrons will be attracted to the positively charged plate.

How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The distance between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance. This means that the farther apart the plates are, the lower the capacitance will be. This is because a larger distance between the plates decreases the electric field strength, which reduces the amount of charge that can be stored on the plates.

How does the surface area of the plates affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The surface area of the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance. This means that the larger the surface area of the plates, the higher the capacitance will be. This is because a larger surface area allows for more charge to be stored on the plates.