Projecticle Motion: Clay or Rubber Ball?

• Thread starter 8parks11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, when trying to close an open door by throwing a 400-g lump of clay or a 400-g rubber ball, the clay will apply a larger impulse to the door due to its higher sticking time. This is because impulse equals the change in momentum, and the clay has a higher change in momentum due to its higher sticking time. Additionally, we are interested in the change of momentum, rather than just the momentum of the thrown object. Therefore, the clay is more likely to close the door compared to the rubber ball.
8parks11
You want to close an open door by throwing either a 400-g lump of clay or a 400-g rubber ball toward it. You can throw either object with the same speed, but they are different in that the rubber ball bounces off the door while the clay just sticks to the door. Which projectile will apply the larger impulse to the door and be more likely to close it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What concepts might be useful here? (You can ignore projectile motion completely.)

impulse = F x T
and since they both have equal mass it doesn't matter except

the clay has a larger T value (since it sticks)
so the impulse is larger?

not sure

yes, impulse does equal F*t, but it also equals the change in momentum.

so the answer is the clay because it has a higher T value = higher momentum?

whoa... back up.
First of all: what's the definition of momentum?
Secomdly: are we interested in the momentum of the thrown object or itschange of momentum?

I'd suggest writing down all of the momentum and impulse equations for handy reference.

J = FΔt,
J = mΔv
J = P2 - P1
the ones I used/need to know i guess...

anyways I am interested in only the first part.
we are interested in the change of momentum.
so p2-p1 is higher for the clay because it sticks -> higher t.

meh i got it so the rubber ball will have a negative velocity while the clay will have equal velocity with the door.

to make it more explicit
P2-P1 becomes P2-(-P1) for the rubber ball and P2+P1 so it will have be much higher.

I think you may have gotten it. State that momentum=mv and [tex]\Delta p=m_fv_f-m_iv_i[/tex], and I'll be a little more sure.

So in the end of the day, if you're trying to open a door and can't be bothered to get off the sofa, will you chuck the clay or the rubber ball?

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What is the difference between clay and rubber balls in projectile motion?

The main difference between clay and rubber balls in projectile motion is their elasticity. Rubber balls are more elastic than clay balls, meaning they are able to stretch and bounce back to their original shape better. This affects the trajectory and speed of the ball during its motion.

3. How does the angle of release affect the trajectory of a clay or rubber ball?

The angle of release has a direct impact on the trajectory of a clay or rubber ball. The steeper the angle, the higher the ball will go and the shorter the distance it will travel. A shallower angle will result in a longer distance but lower height. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the ball towards the ground at a constant rate.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a clay or rubber ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the motion of a clay or rubber ball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air molecules colliding with its surface. This can slow down the ball and alter its trajectory.

5. How is the speed of a clay or rubber ball affected by its mass?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier ball will require more force to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter ball. This means that a lighter ball will have a higher speed in projectile motion compared to a heavier ball if all other factors are kept constant.