Rubber ball colliding with steel ball of equal mass

In summary, when a rubber ball collides head-on with a steel ball of equal mass traveling in the opposite direction with equal speed, the impulse received by both balls is equal. This is because the momentum change and the force exerted during the collision are the same for both balls. This answer remains the same even if the initial speeds of the balls are different.
goraemon

Homework Statement

Suppose a rubber ball collides head-on with a steel ball of equal mass traveling in the opposite direction with equal speed. Which ball, if either, receives the larger impulse? Explain.

Homework Equations

p = m*v
impulse force = change in p

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) At first I intuitively thought that since the rubber ball is more "bouncy" than the steel ball, it'll likely bounce off after the collision and travel in the opposite direction at a greater speed than the steel ball will. So I thought that the rubber ball will have larger change in momentum, and thus will exert more impulse, meaning the steel ball will receive the larger impulse.

(2) But then, I began thinking that my intuition may not be correct. The momentum change must be the same for both balls regardless of whether they're steel or rubber, meaning the impulse force must be equal...also, impulse is nothing more than the integral of the force exerted during some time interval. The balls collide for the exact same time interval, and the force exerted by the balls on each other is also the same.

Is answer (2) correct? If so, would the answer remain the same if the question were changed to the following: "Suppose a rubber ball collides head-on with a steel ball of equal mass traveling in the opposite direction with **DIFFERENT** speeds."

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
goraemon said:

Homework Statement

Suppose a rubber ball collides head-on with a steel ball of equal mass traveling in the opposite direction with equal speed. Which ball, if either, receives the larger impulse? Explain.

Homework Equations

p = m*v
impulse force = change in p

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) At first I intuitively thought that since the rubber ball is more "bouncy" than the steel ball, it'll likely bounce off after the collision and travel in the opposite direction at a greater speed than the steel ball will. So I thought that the rubber ball will have larger change in momentum, and thus will exert more impulse, meaning the steel ball will receive the larger impulse.

(2) But then, I began thinking that my intuition may not be correct. The momentum change must be the same for both balls regardless of whether they're steel or rubber, meaning the impulse force must be equal...also, impulse is nothing more than the integral of the force exerted during some time interval. The balls collide for the exact same time interval, and the force exerted by the balls on each other is also the same.

Is answer (2) correct? If so, would the answer remain the same if the question were changed to the following: "Suppose a rubber ball collides head-on with a steel ball of equal mass traveling in the opposite direction with **DIFFERENT** speeds."

Thanks a lot.
The second version is a very good analysis, especially the use of Newton's 3rd Law.

For the second scenario, ... how would your previous answer have to be modified? -- if at all ?

SammyS said:
The second version is a very good analysis, especially the use of Newton's 3rd Law.

For the second scenario, ... how would your previous answer have to be modified? -- if at all ?

Thank you for your response SammyS. My guess is that the answer should not change for the second scenario (where the balls' initial speeds are different), since the force exerted by the balls on each other should be the same in magnitude regardless of whether their initial speeds are the same or different...and the time interval of the force should also remain the same...is this reasoning correct or am I off base?

goraemon said:
Thank you for your response SammyS. My guess is that the answer should not change for the second scenario (where the balls' initial speeds are different), since the force exerted by the balls on each other should be the same in magnitude regardless of whether their initial speeds are the same or different...and the time interval of the force should also remain the same...is this reasoning correct or am I off base?

You are correct with that answer !

Your second answer is correct. The impulse force is determined by the change in momentum, which is the same for both balls in this scenario. Therefore, the impulse force will be equal for both balls.

If the question were changed to have different speeds, the impulse force would still be equal as long as the masses and velocities are still equal. This is because the change in momentum is still the same, regardless of the initial velocities of the balls.

It is important to note that the materials of the balls (rubber vs steel) do not affect the impulse force in this scenario. The only factors that affect the impulse force are the masses and velocities of the balls.

What happens when a rubber ball collides with a steel ball of equal mass?

When a rubber ball collides with a steel ball of equal mass, the two balls will experience a transfer of momentum and energy. The rubber ball will compress upon impact, storing some of the energy, and then bounce back, while the steel ball will remain relatively unchanged in shape and will continue moving forward.

How does the elasticity of the balls affect the collision?

The elasticity, or bounciness, of the balls will affect the collision by determining how much energy is transferred between the two balls. A more elastic ball will bounce back with more energy, while a less elastic ball will absorb more of the energy and not bounce back as much.

What factors determine the outcome of the collision?

The outcome of the collision is determined by several factors, including the mass and speed of the balls, the angle at which they collide, and the elasticity of the balls. These factors will affect the transfer of momentum and energy between the two balls.

How is the conservation of momentum demonstrated in this collision?

The conservation of momentum is demonstrated in this collision by the fact that the total momentum of the two balls before and after the collision will remain the same. This means that the sum of the momentum of the rubber ball and the steel ball before the collision will be equal to the sum of their momentum after the collision.

Can the collision between the balls be perfectly elastic?

In theory, the collision between the balls can be perfectly elastic, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision and the balls bounce back with the same speed and direction as before the collision. However, in real-world situations, there will always be some loss of energy due to factors such as friction and imperfections in the balls' surfaces.