Rod on a Plane: Calculating Angular and Linear Motion After Impact"

• Thread starter Nexus99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Rod
In summary, A hollow rod closed at the ends A and B, has mass M and length R. The rod is free to rotate on a horizontal frictionless plane around the z axis passing through A and coming out of the sheet. A body can slide without friction inside the cavity point mass m. Initially the rod is stationary and the mass m is placed, also stationary, at a distance negligible but finished by A. A ball of mass m0, with velocity ##\vec{v_0}## = (0,-v0, 0), elastically hits it in B. Calculate:1. the speed of the ball ##\vec{v_1}## and the angular speed ##\vec{\
Yes i agree, quite hard problem, testing to the extreme the understanding of concepts and principles.
Is it college level or university level exams this is from?

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Delta2 said:
If we don't make this assumption, then a mini paradox will appear if we do the balance of the kinetic energy when the particle returns to A. Somehow the total kinetic energy will be increased (in point A , with regards to point B after the inelastic collision), and we won't be able to infer where this surplus "ghost" energy has come from.
Ah yes, it wouldn’t make it back to A if it were not elastic.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Ah yes, it wouldn’t make it back to A if it were not elastic.
Thanks for resolving the paradox, if i tell you that i spend part of last night before sleep thinking where does the surplus of kinetic energy comes from you ll laugh with me won't you?

Likes Lnewqban
Delta2 said:
Yes i agree, quite hard problem, testing to the extreme the understanding of concepts and principles.
Is it college level or university level exams this is from?
University.

Likes Delta2