Product matrix as a Linear Combination

In summary, the problem statement is to show that the product yA can be expressed as a linear combination of the row matrices of A with the scalar coefficients coming from y. The solution involves breaking down the row vector y into a sum, pulling out terms with the same factor from y, and multiplying each term by the corresponding row of A. This results in a linear combination of the row matrices of A with the scalar coefficients from y. The solution may seem a bit "guess and check," but it effectively demonstrates the desired result.
Saladsamurai
Problem Statement

Let

[tex]\mathbf{y} = [y_1\, y_2\, ...\, y_m][/tex]

And

[tex]A =
\left[\begin{array} {cccc}
a_{11}&a_{12}&...&a_{1n}\\
a_{21}&a_{22}&...&a_{2n}\\
a_{m1}&a_{m2}&...&a_{mn}
\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

Show that the product yA can be expressed as a linear combination of the row matrices of A
with the scalar coefficients coming from y

Attempt at Solution

I thought that I would write out the actual product, which is a row vector. I thought that
something might jump out at me from here:

yA = [(y1a11 + y2a21 + ... + ymam1) (y1a12 + y2a22 + ... + ymam2) (y1a1n + y2a2n + ... + ymamn)]

I am not sure where to go from here. I know that it is going to be a summation of the rows of A ... but what I have now is just written column-wise... and it is not a summation.

A hint maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you have a row vector. You can treat it just like a column vector and break it down into a sum. For example (a + b + c, d + b, b + c) = (a, d, b) + (b, b, c) + (c, 0, 0).

Pull out terms that have the same factor from y.

I think that I got it!

I just wrote the summation of the rows of A :

[a11 a12 ... a1n] + [a21 a22 ... a2n] + ... + [am1 am2 ... amn]

and then noted that each term needs to multiplied by each of the elements of y :

y1[a11 a12 ... a1n] + y2[a21 a22 ... a2n] + ... + ym[am1 am2 ... amn]

I guess I just thought the solution would have been a little more 'graceful' as opposed to 'guess and check.'

thanks!

Related to Product matrix as a Linear Combination

1. What is a product matrix as a linear combination?

A product matrix as a linear combination is a method of representing a system of linear equations in matrix form. It involves multiplying a matrix of coefficients by a vector of variables to form a new vector that represents the solution to the system.

2. How is a product matrix used in scientific research?

A product matrix can be used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is often used to model and analyze complex systems, such as chemical reactions or physical processes, and to make predictions about their behavior.

3. Can a product matrix be used to solve any system of linear equations?

Yes, a product matrix can be used to solve any system of linear equations, as long as the number of equations is equal to the number of variables. It is a powerful tool for solving systems of equations that are too complex to solve by hand.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a product matrix as a linear combination?

While a product matrix can be a useful tool in solving systems of equations, it is not always the most efficient method. In some cases, it may be more time-consuming or computationally expensive to use a product matrix compared to other methods, especially for larger systems of equations.

5. How can I learn more about using product matrices in my scientific research?

There are many online resources and textbooks available that provide further information on using product matrices in scientific research. Additionally, attending workshops or courses on linear algebra or numerical methods can also help deepen your understanding of product matrices and their applications.