Help with Proof of Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3 - A Course in Real Analysis

In summary: Junghenn provides a summary of the content of the book "A Course in Real Analysis." He is currently focused on Chapter 9, which deals with differentiation on the real line. He needs help with the proof of Proposition 9.2.3, and ends the summary with a request for help.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Hugo D. Junghenn's book: "A Course in Real Analysis" ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 9: "Differentiation on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\)"

I need some help with the proof of Proposition 9.2.3 ...

Proposition 9.2.3 and the preceding relevant Definition 9.2.2 read as follows:
View attachment 7902
View attachment 7903
In the above proof Junghenn let's \(\displaystyle \mathbf{a}_i = ( a_{i1}, a_{i2}, \ ... \ ... \ , a_{in} ) \)

and then states that \(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x} = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ ... \ ... \ , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )\) where \(\displaystyle \mathbf{x} = ( x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ x_n )\)(Note: Junghenn defines vectors in \mathbb{R}^n as row vectors ... ... )Now I believe I can show \(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x}^t = [a_{ij} ]_{ m \times n } \mathbf{x}^t = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ ... \ ... \ , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )^t\) ...... ... as follows:
\(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x}^t = [a_{ij} ]_{ m \times n } \mathbf{x}^t = \begin{pmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12} & ... & ... & a_{1n} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & ... & ... & a_{2n} \\ ... & ... & ... & ... & ... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... & ... \\ a_{m1} & a_{m2} & ... & ... & a_{mn} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ . \\ . \\ x_n \end{pmatrix}\)
\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} a_{11} x_1 + a_{12} x_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + a_{1n} x_n \\ a_{21} x_1 + a_{22} x_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + a_{2n} x_n \\ ... \\ ... \\ a_{m1} x_1 + a_{m2} x_2 + \ ... \ ... \ + a_{mn} x_n \end{pmatrix} \)
\(\displaystyle = \begin{pmatrix} \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x} \\ \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x} \\ . \\ . \\ \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} \end{pmatrix}\)
\(\displaystyle = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ ... \ ... \ , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )^t \)

So ... I have shown\(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x}^t = [a_{ij} ]_{ m \times n } \mathbf{x}^t = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ ... \ ... \ , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )^t\) ...How do I reconcile or 'square' that with Junghenn's statement that \(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x} = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ ... \ ... \ , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )\) where \(\displaystyle \mathbf{x} = ( x_1, x_2, \ ... \ ... \ x_n )\)(Note: I don't think that taking the transpose of both sides works ... ?)
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Junghenn defines the relation between the linear transformation $T$ and the matrix $A$ by \(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x} = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x},\, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ldots , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )\) where \(\displaystyle \mathbf{x} = ( x_1,\, x_2, \ldots, x_n )\). This – as you show – is equivalent to the statement $(T\mathbf{x})^t = A\mathbf{x}^t.$

In other words, linear transformations act on elements of $\mathbb{R}^n$ (which Junghenn defines as row vectors), but matrices act (by pre-multiplication) on column vectors. There is no great mathematical significance in this. Junghenn probably prefers row vectors simply for convenience, because they take up less room on the printed page. But the $m\times n$ matrix $A$ has to be multiplied by an $n\times1$ vector (in other words, a column vector) in order for the matrix multiplication to be defined.

So if you are talking about linear transformations, you need to use row vectors, but if you want to deal with their associated matrices then you must use column vectors.

Opalg said:
Junghenn defines the relation between the linear transformation $T$ and the matrix $A$ by \(\displaystyle T \mathbf{x} = ( \mathbf{a}_1 \cdot \mathbf{x},\, \mathbf{a}_2 \cdot \mathbf{x}, \ldots , \mathbf{a}_n \cdot \mathbf{x} )\) where \(\displaystyle \mathbf{x} = ( x_1,\, x_2, \ldots, x_n )\). This – as you show – is equivalent to the statement $(T\mathbf{x})^t = A\mathbf{x}^t.$

In other words, linear transformations act on elements of $\mathbb{R}^n$ (which Junghenn defines as row vectors), but matrices act (by pre-multiplication) on column vectors. There is no great mathematical significance in this. Junghenn probably prefers row vectors simply for convenience, because they take up less room on the printed page. But the $m\times n$ matrix $A$ has to be multiplied by an $n\times1$ vector (in other words, a column vector) in order for the matrix multiplication to be defined.

So if you are talking about linear transformations, you need to use row vectors, but if you want to deal with their associated matrices then you must use column vectors.
Thanks Opalg ...

To know that the representation of vectors varies according to context like that is important to me in fully understanding what is going on in the various proofs/results in Euclidean and metric spaces ...

Thanks again for that post!

Peter

Related to Help with Proof of Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3 - A Course in Real Analysis

What is Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3 in real analysis?

Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3 is a theorem in real analysis that states: "If a sequence of real numbers converges, then it is bounded."

Why is Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3 important in real analysis?

This proposition is important because it helps us understand the behavior of sequences of real numbers. It tells us that if a sequence converges, then it is also bounded, which has important implications in other areas of mathematics.

What is the proof of Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3?

The proof of this proposition involves using the definition of convergence and the Archimedean property of real numbers. It can be broken down into several steps, including showing that the sequence is bounded above and below, and then using the definition of convergence to show that it is bounded.

How can I use Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3 in my own research or studies?

This proposition can be used in a variety of ways in real analysis, such as in proving other theorems or in solving problems related to sequences of real numbers. It is also useful in applications to other areas of mathematics, such as calculus or differential equations.

Are there any important corollaries or consequences of Junghenn Proposition 9.2.3?

Yes, there are several corollaries that follow from this proposition, including the fact that every convergent sequence of real numbers is also Cauchy, and that every monotonic and bounded sequence of real numbers is convergent. These corollaries have important implications in the study of real analysis and other areas of mathematics.