Problem with Integrating by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration by parts of the term \mu^2 (\nabla^2)^{-1} (\nabla\times B)\dot{B}, where B is a vector, \dot{B} is the time derivative of B, and \mu is a constant. The speaker is stuck on this term and is seeking help. It is mentioned that the term involves the inverse laplacian and two adjacent vectors. The conversation takes place in the context of an M.Sc. problem.
aries0152
I would like to integrate by parts this term-
[tex] \mu^2 (\nabla^2)^{-1} (\nabla\times B)\dot{B}[/tex]

Here [itex]B[/itex] is a vector and [itex]\dot{B}[/itex] is the time derivative of B. And [itex]\mu[/itex] is just a constant.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, where did you encounter this, i can't see tex where I am sitting, but it looks like you have the inverse laplacian?

AND you have a vector adjacent to a vector? What class is this for? This is either over my head (and/or) you took a bad turn somewhere in calculations leading up to this.

algebrat said:
but it looks like you have the inverse laplacian?
Yes. there is a inverse laplacian.

algebrat said:
AND you have a vector adjacent to a vector? What class is this for?
It's a problem of M.Sc. And I am stuck with this term :frown:

Related to Problem with Integrating by parts

1. What is the integration by parts rule?

The integration by parts rule is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the product into two separate functions and using a specific formula to find the integral.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be easily found through other methods such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

3. How do I choose which function to integrate and which to differentiate?

The general rule is to choose the function that becomes simpler after being differentiated. This usually means choosing a function that contains a polynomial, exponential, or logarithmic term.

4. What happens if I get a repeated integral when using integration by parts?

If a repeated integral is obtained, the process of integration by parts should be repeated again until a non-repeated integral is obtained. If this is not possible, a different method of integration should be used.

5. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. The limits of integration should be applied to the final integral after the integration by parts formula has been used.