Confusion about Divergence Theorem Step in Tong's Notes

In summary, the conversation discusses a step in Tong's notes where the usual divergence theorem is used, but with a different normal vector. The normal vector used in the theorem is a unit vector with respect to the Riemannian metric, while the one used in the notes is unit with respect to the ##g_{\mu \nu}## metric. By using the correct normal vector, the extra factor of ##N## is eliminated and the desired result is obtained.
etotheipi
I wanted to ask about a step I couldn't understand in Tong's notes$$\int_M d^n x \partial_{\mu}(\sqrt{g} X^{\mu}) = \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x \sqrt{\gamma N^2} X^n = \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x \sqrt{\gamma} n_{\mu} X^{\mu}$$we're told that in these coordinates ##\partial M## is a surface of constant ##x^n##, and further that ##g = \mathrm{det}(g_{\mu \nu}) = \gamma N^2## where ##\gamma_{ij}## is the pull-back of ##g_{\mu \nu}## to ##\partial M##. Also, the normal vector is ##n^{\mu} = (0, \dots, 1/N)##, or with downstairs components ##n_{\mu} = (0, \dots, N)##.

But, I thought the usual divergence theorem was stated$$\int_M d^n x \partial_{\mu} V^{\mu} = \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x V^{\mu} n_{\mu}$$in which case I'd get
$$\int_M d^n x \partial_{\mu}(\sqrt{g} X^{\mu}) = \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x \sqrt{\gamma N^2} X^{\mu} n_{\mu} = N \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x \sqrt{\gamma} n_{\mu} X^{\mu} $$i.e. I'd still have the extra factor of ##N##. What am I forgetting...? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem uses a unit normal vector, yours is not. In the first step it is not ##n##.

Likes etotheipi
Ah, so did I need to use a normal vector which is unit with respect to the Riemannian metric ##\delta_{\mu \nu}##, e.g. ##m^{\mu} = (0,\dots, 1)##, and not ##n^{\mu}## which is unit with respect to the ##g_{\mu \nu}## metric? These would be related by ##n_{\mu} = N m_{\mu}## and I could write$$\int_M d^n x \partial_{\mu}(\sqrt{g} X^{\mu}) = \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x \sqrt{\gamma N^2} X^{\mu} m_{\mu} = \int_{\partial M} d^{n-1}x \sqrt{\gamma} n_{\mu} X^{\mu}$$which is what we want...

Related to Confusion about Divergence Theorem Step in Tong's Notes

What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical principle that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field inside the surface.

What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is important because it allows us to evaluate complicated integrals involving vector fields by converting them into simpler surface integrals.

What is the formula for the Divergence Theorem?

The formula for the Divergence Theorem can be written as ∫∫∫V (div F) dV = ∫∫S (F · n) dS, where V is the volume enclosed by the closed surface S, F is the vector field, and n is the unit normal vector to the surface.

What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating fluid flow rates, electric flux, and heat transfer. It is also used in fields like meteorology, geology, and oceanography to study the behavior of natural phenomena.

What are some common misconceptions about the Divergence Theorem?

One common misconception about the Divergence Theorem is that it only applies to three-dimensional vector fields. However, it can also be extended to higher dimensions. Another misconception is that the surface S must be a perfect sphere, when in reality it can be any closed surface as long as it encloses the volume V.