Probably easy Laurent expansion question

In summary, the student is stuck on a problem involving the Laurent expansion of a function in the annulus |z-3|>3. They need to find 1/z=1/((z-3)+3) and then use the partial fraction decomposition to calculate the series.
jinsing

Homework Statement

Find the Laurent expansion of f(z)= 1/(z^3 - 6z^2 + 9z) in the annulus |z-3|>3.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been spending way too long on this problem.. I can't seem to think of a way to manipulate f to use the geometric series, other than getting something like 1/(1-(-3/z-3)) and arguing |z-3|>3>-3. Unless there's an other, better way to do this problem, could someone just let me know if I'm on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a partial fraction decomposition.

Okay.. so now I have:

((1/9z) - (1/9(z-3)) + 1/(3(z-3)^2))(1/z)

I'm probably missing something completely obvious, but I'm still stuck at where I was before..

Last edited:
The only thing you are missing is that you almost have the answer! A Laurent expansion of f(x) "in the annulus |z-3|>3" is a power series in terms of powers of x- 3. You will still need to expand 1/z= 1/((z-3)+ 3).

Okay, so I expand 1/z = 1/((z-3)+3) = (1/(z-3)) * (1/(1-(-3/(z-3))) =

1 - 3/(z-3) + 9/(z-3)^2 - 27/(z-3)^3 + ...

Is this right? My issue keeps coming up with a way to use the geometric series while keeping |c|<1 (if 1/(1-c) = 1+c+c^2+...)

I think the answer requires that c= (z-3)/3 ..how does that make sense?

Last edited:
Maybe there is no Laurent expansion since the series doesn't converge?

jinsing said:
Okay, so I expand 1/z = 1/((z-3)+3) = (1/(z-3)) * (1/(1-(-3/(z-3))) =

1 - 3/(z-3) + 9/(z-3)^2 - 27/(z-3)^3 + ...
You forgot the factor of 1/(z-3) you pulled out front.

Is this right? My issue keeps coming up with a way to use the geometric series while keeping |c|<1 (if 1/(1-c) = 1+c+c^2+...)

I think the answer requires that c= (z-3)/3 ..how does that make sense?
No, you have it backwards. You're in the region where |z-3|>3, right? If you divide that inequality by 3 on both sides, you get |(z-3)/3| > 1, so with your choice for c, you'd have |c|>1, which is what you don't want. You want z-3 in the denominator so the terms get smaller.

Ah, that's what I thought, I was just doubting myself.. thanks so much for the help!

Related to Probably easy Laurent expansion question

What is a Laurent expansion?

A Laurent expansion is a representation of a complex function as a sum of a power series and a Laurent series. It allows for the function to be evaluated at points where it is not analytic, such as poles or branch points.

What is the difference between a Laurent expansion and a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a representation of a complex function as a sum of a power series. It is valid for analytic functions, while a Laurent expansion is valid for functions with isolated singularities.

How do you find the coefficients in a Laurent expansion?

The coefficients in a Laurent expansion can be found by using the formula for the nth derivative of a function at a point, multiplied by the reciprocal of n!, where n is the power of the variable in the series.

Can a Laurent expansion be used to find the behavior of a function at infinity?

Yes, a Laurent expansion can be used to find the behavior of a function at infinity by considering the coefficients of the series with negative powers of the variable.

What is the importance of Laurent expansions in mathematics?

Laurent expansions are important in mathematics because they allow for the evaluation of functions at points where they are not analytic, and can provide information about the behavior of functions at infinity. They also have applications in complex analysis, differential equations, and mathematical physics.