Someone me with this Laurent Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the Laurent expansion of the function f(z)=e1/sin(z) at the isolated singularity z=π, which is an essential singularity. The attempts at rewriting the function and removing the singularity were unsuccessful, but a similar problem was found and there may be some useful pieces from its expansion that can be applied.
Jonnnnn

Homework Statement

the Laurent expansion of f(z)=e1/sin(z) at the isolated singularity z=π

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rewriting 1/sin(z) into exponential form, but it seems have no help for the expansion. Would someone give me some inspirations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you remove the singularity?

RUber said:
Can you remove the singularity?
Actually, the singularity here is an essential singularity, which is not removable I think.

Related to Someone me with this Laurent Expansion

1. What is a Laurent Expansion?

A Laurent Expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a complex function as a series of terms with both positive and negative powers of a variable. It is a generalization of the Taylor series, which only includes positive powers.

2. When is a Laurent Expansion used?

A Laurent Expansion is used when the function being analyzed has singularities, or points where the function is not defined. It allows for the function to be represented in the vicinity of these singularities.

3. How is a Laurent Expansion calculated?

The coefficients of a Laurent Expansion can be calculated using a formula involving the function's derivatives and the singularities. Alternatively, it can be calculated using a series of integrations and the Cauchy Residue Theorem.

4. What are the applications of a Laurent Expansion?

A Laurent Expansion has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in complex analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.

5. Can a Laurent Expansion be used for any function?

No, a Laurent Expansion can only be used for functions that are analytic, meaning they can be represented by a convergent power series. Functions with essential singularities cannot be represented by a Laurent Expansion.