Classifying Singularities and the Laurent Series

In summary: Ah okay. Does this mean that strictly speaking this only has a taylor series about ##n \pi i## ? Also when calculating the residue (slightly off topic I'm afraid) about ##n \pi i## do you need to expand ##sinhz## or can we simply 'read off' the residue?
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Classify the singularities of ##\frac{1}{z^2sinh(z)}## and describe the behaviour as z goes to infinity

Find the Laurent series of the above and find the region of convergence

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought these two were essentially the same thing, but I'm being given a fair few marks for each question, so I'm convinced I must be over-simplifying it

For the first part, I used to Laurent expansion to get:

##\frac{1}{z^2sinh(z)} = \frac{1}{z^2(z+\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}+...)}##
##\frac{1}{z^2(z+\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}+...)}= \frac{1}{z^3(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)}##
##\frac{1}{z^3(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)}=\frac{1}{z^3}(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)^{-1}##
##\frac{1}{z^3}(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)^{-1}=\frac{1}{z^3}(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}-\frac{z^4}{5!}+(\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!})^2+...)##
##= \frac{1}{z^3} -\frac{1}{6z}+\frac{3z}{40}+...##

Hence, I got there to be an isolated singularity of order 3 at z=0, a simple pole of at z=0 and an essential singularity at ##z=\infinity##

So the behaviour as z goes to infinity is that the function is undefined? (I showed this by redefining a new variable ##\frac{1}{z}##

I just can't see what else to do, but for the number of marks it is worth, I don't feel I have done enough work

Also, I am not sure how to find the region of convergence

Many thanks

EDIT: Just had a thought- For the first part I could have written ##\frac{1}{z(i)(iz-\frac{1}{zi})}## ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a question for you: Is there only one value of [itex]z[/itex] where [itex]sinh(z) = 0[/itex]?

stevendaryl said:
Just a question for you: Is there only one value of [itex]z[/itex] where [itex]sinh(z) = 0[/itex]?
Oh no of course! There are also poles every ##n \pi i## With order ##\frac{1}{n^2 \pi^2}## ?

Physgeek64 said:
Oh no of course! There are also poles every ##n \pi i## With order ##\frac{1}{n^2 \pi^2}## ?

Okay, that needs to be part of the answer to your homework problem. What is the expansion about [itex]z=n\pi\ i[/itex] for [itex]n \neq 0[/itex]?

stevendaryl said:
Okay, that needs to be part of the answer to your homework problem. What is the expansion about [itex]z=n\pi\ i[/itex] for [itex]n \neq 0[/itex]?
Can we not just evaluate it at these points? Since the rest of the function will be analytic?

Physgeek64 said:
Can we not just evaluate it at these points? Since the rest of the function will be analytic?

You wrote down an expansion in powers of [itex]z[/itex]. You need an expansion in powers of [itex]z-n\pi i[/itex] for the other poles.

If you have a pole at [itex]z=p[/itex], then the Laurent series is in powers of [itex](z-p)[/itex], not powers of [itex]z[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
You wrote down an expansion in powers of [itex]z[/itex]. You need an expansion in powers of [itex]z-n\pi i[/itex] for the other poles.

If you have a pole at [itex]z=p[/itex], then the Laurent series is in powers of [itex](z-p)[/itex], not powers of [itex]z[/itex]
Okay, so we can expand ##\frac {1}{z}= \frac{1}{n \pi i +z- n \pi i} = \frac{1}{n \pi i} (1+\frac{z-n \pi i}{n\pi i})^{-1}##
## = \frac{1}{n \pi i}(1-\frac{z-n \pi i}{n\pi i}+\frac{(z-n \pi i)^2}{(n\pi i)^2}+...)##

How would we expand sinhx such that the brackets of ##z-n \pi i## remain in the denominator

Many thanks

Physgeek64 said:
Okay, so we can expand ##\frac {1}{z}= \frac{1}{n \pi i +z- n \pi i} = \frac{1}{n \pi i} (1+\frac{z-n \pi i}{n\pi i})^{-1}##
## = \frac{1}{n \pi i}(1-\frac{z-n \pi i}{n\pi i}+\frac{(z-n \pi i)^2}{(n\pi i)^2}+...)##

How would we expand sinhx such that the brackets of ##z-n \pi i## remain in the denominator

Many thanks

Well, since [itex]sinh[/itex] is periodic, the expansion in powers of [itex]z[/itex] is the same as the expansion in terms of [itex]z - n \pi i[/itex].

stevendaryl said:
Well, since [itex]sinh[/itex] is periodic, the expansion in powers of [itex]z[/itex] is the same as the expansion in terms of [itex]z - n \pi i[/itex].

So ##sinhz= (z-n\pi i)+ \frac{(z-n \pi i)^3}{3!} +... ## ?

Physgeek64 said:
So ##sinhz= (z-n\pi i)+ \frac{(z-n \pi i)^3}{3!} +... ## ?

Yes. You can see that by letting [itex]q = z - n \pi i[/itex]. Then [itex]sinh(z) = sinh(q + n \pi i) = sinh(q) = q + \frac{q^3}{3!} + ...[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Yes. You can see that by letting [itex]q = z - n \pi i[/itex]. Then [itex]sinh(z) = sinh(q + n \pi i) = sinh(q) = q + \frac{q^3}{3!} + ...[/itex]

Ah okay. Does this mean that strictly speaking this only has a taylor series about ##n \pi i## ? Also when calculating the residue (slightly off topic I'm afraid) about ##n \pi i## do you need to expand ##sinhz## or can we simply 'read off' the residue?

Related to Classifying Singularities and the Laurent Series

1. What is the definition of a singularity?

A singularity is a point in a function or equation where the function or equation is undefined or discontinuous.

2. What is the difference between a removable and non-removable singularity?

A removable singularity is a point where a function is undefined, but can be made continuous by defining the value of the function at that point. A non-removable singularity is a point where the function cannot be made continuous, even by defining a value for the function at that point.

3. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of terms with both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to represent functions with singularities and is similar to a Taylor series, but with a wider range of convergence.

4. How do you classify singularities in a Laurent series?

Singularities in a Laurent series are classified as either poles, essential singularities, or removable singularities. Poles are points where the function blows up to infinity, essential singularities are points where the function has an infinite number of terms in its Laurent series, and removable singularities are points where the function can be made continuous by defining a value for the function at that point.

5. How can Laurent series be used in practical applications?

Laurent series can be used to approximate complex functions, especially those with singularities, in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. They can also be used in solving differential equations and in signal processing.