Prime Ideals in Z[sqrt(2)] and Cosets in ZxZ/I

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with two questions from their algebra class. The questions involve proving that a given ideal is a prime ideal and finding the number of elements in a quotient ring. The student provides additional information and clarification on the questions, but does not receive any direct answers.
kobulingam
I'm in an algebra (ring) class and I'm looking at a previous midterm (I have attached it here to prove that this is not homework problem).

Can anyone tell me how to answer question 3 and 5? I will repeat again in here:

3) Let R = Z[sqrt(2)] and P = <sqrt(2)> the ideal generated by sqrt(2)

a) Prove that P is a prime ideal.
b) Let D = Rp (localization of R at complement of P, aka ring of fractions of R w.r.t. (R-P) )
Let Pp be ideal of Rp generated by sqrt(2). Is Pp a prime ideal of Rp? Prove answer.

5) Let R = ZxZ (direct product of integer sets with operations defined as usual componentwise). Let I = < (4,9), (6,12) > ideal generated by those two elements. How many elements (cosets of I) does R/I have?

Any help would be appreciated. Let me repeat that this is not homework, as I have attached file proving that these are past test questions (which I got from school's math society website).

Attachments

• pmath345mid1.pdf
    221.2 KB · Views: 169
Physics news on Phys.org
For (3), first show how any member of Z[sqrt(2)] can be written. How is that related to the ideal <sqrt(2)>? IS that an ideal in Z[sqrt(2)]? What does it mean to say it is a prime ideal?

For 5, again, what IS an ideal of ZxZ? Can you show that the set generated by <(4,9), (6,12)> IS an ideal? What are "cosets" of that set?

HallsofIvy said:
For (3), first show how any member of Z[sqrt(2)] can be written. How is that related to the ideal <sqrt(2)>? IS that an ideal in Z[sqrt(2)]? What does it mean to say it is a prime ideal?

For 5, again, what IS an ideal of ZxZ? Can you show that the set generated by <(4,9), (6,12)> IS an ideal? What are "cosets" of that set?

I got 3)a) by doing exactly what you are implying, but can't get it to work for 3)b).

For 5), yes, a set generated by memebers of a ring like that are always ideals.

Related to Prime Ideals in Z[sqrt(2)] and Cosets in ZxZ/I

1. What topics are typically covered on a previous algebra midterm?

A previous algebra midterm typically covers topics such as equations and inequalities, polynomials, functions, graphing, exponents and radicals, and systems of equations.

2. How many questions are usually on a previous algebra midterm?

The number of questions on a previous algebra midterm can vary, but it typically ranges from 20-30 questions.

3. Are previous algebra midterms multiple choice or free response?

This can vary depending on the teacher or institution, but most previous algebra midterms consist of a mix of multiple choice and free response questions.

4. Is there a time limit for completing a previous algebra midterm?

Again, this can vary, but most previous algebra midterms have a time limit of 90 minutes to 2 hours.

5. Are there any resources available to help prepare for a previous algebra midterm?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, study guides, online practice tests, and tutoring services that can help prepare for a previous algebra midterm.