Direct Products of Rings and Ideals .... Bland Problem 2(a)

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, Peter is attempting to solve problem 2(a) in order to demonstrate that the product is a right ideal. He begins by defining the concepts of a right ideal and a direct product formodules, and then shows that the product is closed under addition and multiplication on the right.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading Paul E. Bland's book: Rings and Their Modules and am currently focused on Section 2.1 Direct Products and Direct Sums ... ...

I need help with Problem 2(a) of Problem Set 2.1 ...

Problem 2(a) of Problem Set 2.1 reads as follows:

Bland - Problem 2 ... Problem Set 2.1 ... .png

I am unsure of my solution to problem 2(a) and need help in the following way ...

... could someone please confirm my solution is correct and/or point out errors and shortcomings ...

... indeed I would be grateful if someone could critique my solution ...

Homework Equations

The definition of a right ideal is relevant to this problem ... Bland's definition of a right ideal is as follows:
Bland - Defn of Ideal ... page 14... .png
Also relevant is the definition of a direct product ... Bland's definition for a direct product for modules follows ... simply adjust for rings and ideals ..
Bland - Defn of Direct Product  ...  page 39... .png

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted solution to problem 2(a) is as follows:... we have to show that ##\prod_\Delta A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha## ...

To demonstrate this we have to show that ##\prod_\Delta A_\alpha## is closed under addition and closed under multiplication on the right by an element of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha## ...So ... let ##(x_\alpha), (y_\alpha) \in \prod_\Delta A_\alpha## and ##(r_\alpha) \in \prod_\Delta R_\alpha##

Then ##x_\alpha, y_\alpha \in A_\alpha## for all ##\alpha \in \Delta##

##\Longrightarrow x_\alpha + y_\alpha \in A_\alpha## since ##A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##R_\alpha## for all ##\alpha \in \Delta## ...

##\Longrightarrow (x_\alpha) + (y_\alpha) \in \prod_\Delta A_\alpha##

##\Longrightarrow \prod_\Delta A_\alpha## is closed under addition ...
Now ... ##(x_\alpha) \in \prod_\Delta A_\alpha , (r_\alpha) \in \prod_\Delta R_\alpha##

##\Longrightarrow x_\alpha \in A_\alpha , r_\alpha \in R_\alpha## for all ##\alpha \in \Delta## ...

##\Longrightarrow x_\alpha r_\alpha \in A_\alpha## since ##A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##R_\alpha## ...

##\Longrightarrow ( x_\alpha r_\alpha ) \in \prod_\Delta A_\alpha##Thus ##\prod_\Delta A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha## ...

Hope the above is correct ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - Problem 2 ... Problem Set 2.1 ... .png
    Bland - Problem 2 ... Problem Set 2.1 ... .png
    11.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Bland - Defn of Ideal ... page 14... .png
    Bland - Defn of Ideal ... page 14... .png
    19.3 KB · Views: 358
  • Bland - Defn of Direct Product  ...  page 39... .png
    Bland - Defn of Direct Product ... page 39... .png
    50.2 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is correct. I don't see any problems in this exercise, as the componentwise definition of the operations will do the job in all of them.

Thanks fresh_42 ... that helps !

Peter

Related to Direct Products of Rings and Ideals .... Bland Problem 2(a)

What is a direct product of rings?

A direct product of rings is a mathematical construction that combines two or more rings into a single ring. This is done by taking the Cartesian product of the underlying sets and defining operations on the product that are compatible with the operations on the individual rings.

What is an ideal in a ring?

An ideal in a ring is a subset of the ring that satisfies certain conditions. Specifically, an ideal is a subset that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. Ideals are useful for studying and characterizing the structure of rings.

What is the Bland Problem 2(a)?

The Bland Problem 2(a) refers to a specific problem in the field of algebraic geometry, named after the mathematician Richard P. Bland. The problem involves finding conditions under which a direct product of two rings can be written as a direct sum of ideals.

How is the Bland Problem 2(a) related to direct products of rings and ideals?

The Bland Problem 2(a) is related to direct products of rings and ideals because it deals with finding conditions for the direct product of two rings to be written as a direct sum of ideals. This is a fundamental question in the study of direct products of rings and ideals.

Why is studying direct products of rings and ideals important?

Studying direct products of rings and ideals is important because it provides insight into the structure and properties of rings. Direct products allow us to combine multiple rings into a single ring, which can be useful in solving problems and understanding the connections between different mathematical objects. Additionally, ideals play a crucial role in the study of rings and their properties.