Preparing for Cambridge STEP: Advice for Irish Students

In summary, the individual is planning to apply to Mathematics or Mathematics and Physics at Cambridge in October. They are concerned about the STEP exam required for entry and are wondering what they can do to be adequately prepared. They are also seeking recommendations for helpful books or courses. Essential reading and a problem booklet linked on the Cambridge website are suggested as resources.
thayes93
I'm probably going to apply to Mathematics, or maybe Mathematics and Physics, in Cambridge this October.

I'm not asking for your opinions on Cambridge or the course or anything, I just have to ask this.

I am an Irish Secondary school student, and I am worried about the STEP exam required to gain entry to this course. I believe I have the potential to do well in the exam, but I am more fundamentally worried that the Irish syllabus I am following will not supply me with enough mathematics to complete the exam to my full potential.

Anyway, I was wondering what else I should do to be adequately prepared for the exam, what books, courses, whatever, would be helpful to me for this..

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Preparing for Cambridge STEP: Advice for Irish Students

What is Cambridge STEP?

Cambridge STEP (Sixth Term Examination Paper) is an advanced mathematics exam used by Cambridge University as part of their undergraduate admissions process. It is designed to test students' mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Why should Irish students prepare for Cambridge STEP?

Irish students who are interested in studying mathematics or related subjects at Cambridge University may be required to take the STEP exam as part of their application. Preparing for STEP can greatly increase their chances of getting accepted into the university.

What are the key skills needed to succeed in Cambridge STEP?

To succeed in Cambridge STEP, students should have a strong foundation in advanced mathematics, including calculus, algebra, and geometry. They should also have good problem-solving skills, the ability to think critically and creatively, and the ability to work under time constraints.

How should Irish students prepare for Cambridge STEP?

Irish students can prepare for Cambridge STEP by practicing past papers, working through practice questions and exercises, and seeking guidance from teachers or tutors. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the exam format and timing to improve speed and accuracy.

When should students start preparing for Cambridge STEP?

Irish students should start preparing for Cambridge STEP as early as possible, ideally in their final year of secondary school. This will give them enough time to build a strong foundation in advanced mathematics and develop the necessary skills to succeed in the exam.