Quantum optics for graduate students

In summary, the professor is inviting the student to join his graduate-level quantum optics course, and the student is hesitant because of the workload and lack of experience.
LCSphysicist
I have just finished my course on electromagnetism. Due to my performance, the professor has contact me for congratulations and asking, if i want, to join his quantum optics course for graduate students.

Even so i think it is interesting to follow the advice, i am a little afraid if this subject is too advanced. To be honest, optics always has been my executioner, and i pretend to take quantum mechanics I and II + undergrad research on string theory next semester, so i will not have too much time. What do you think?

I think this contact with professors can help to improve my experience and career. Since i am not a popular student at the departament, i am afraid this can be a negative point in future opportunities, since i have almost no "important contacts".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
and i pretend to take quantum mechanics I and II + undergrad research on string theory next semester, so i will not have too much time
If you pretend to take those classes, you will have all the time in the world :)
I think you mean to say "intend".
Undergrad research on string theory sounds fun! Let me know what kind of project you will be doing.

I think you should do things you think are fun. Why are you not a popular student? Is there something else you can do about it?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
LCSphysicist said:
I have just finished my course on electromagnetism. Due to my performance, the professor has contact me for congratulations and asking, if i want, to join his quantum optics course for graduate students.
Congrats on the good performance in the class and the recognition from the professor. But to be clear -- this was an undergraduate EM course and your prof knows you are an undergrad, and he is still asking if you would like to join his graduate-level quantum optics course? Perhaps tell him you are interested, and ask if it would be better to join after you take those two intro QM courses coming up?

Likes vanhees71
Yeah. Just doesn't sound right. A grad-level quantum optics course without first taking undergrad quantum mechanics? And depending on the emphasis of the quantum optics course (even at the advanced undergrad level), often you will take intro to solid-state physics first. Also be aware that grad courses typically take more work (a lot more work) than an undergrad course. So it will be easy to overload yourself. Have a thorough discussion with your professor concerning prerequisites.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

Related to Quantum optics for graduate students

1. What is quantum optics?

Quantum optics is a field of physics that studies the interaction between light and matter at the quantum level. It combines principles of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism to understand and manipulate the behavior of light and matter at the atomic and subatomic scale.

2. How is quantum optics different from classical optics?

Classical optics describes the behavior of light using classical electromagnetism, which treats light as a wave. Quantum optics, on the other hand, takes into account the particle-like nature of light and matter, and describes their behavior using quantum mechanics. This allows for a more accurate understanding and control of light-matter interactions.

3. What are some applications of quantum optics?

Quantum optics has many practical applications, including optical communication, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. It is also used in fields such as medicine, astronomy, and materials science.

4. What are some key concepts in quantum optics?

Some key concepts in quantum optics include superposition, entanglement, and coherence. Superposition refers to the ability of quantum systems to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other. Coherence refers to the ability of a quantum system to maintain a stable phase relationship.

5. What are some resources for learning about quantum optics?

There are many resources available for learning about quantum optics, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. Some recommended textbooks include "Quantum Optics" by Mark Fox and "Quantum Optics for Engineers" by F. J. Duarte. Online courses from universities such as MIT and Caltech are also available. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops in the field can provide valuable learning opportunities.