POTUS Election 2016- a Fresh Start

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Evan McMullin, an independent candidate, is holding an event in Boise. If he takes several states, he could be a contender in the election.
Evo said:
That wasn't apparent yesterday, you are correct, I see that has just come out. Aparently she found out through the news after her plane landed. So, that still leaves Comey with going against the DOJ, his actions are still inappropriate.

I heard today that he has decided not to release his income taxes at all. What is he hiding? That really concerns me.

Comey's actions were inappropriate when he failed to recommend indictment, knowing full well she broke the law.

Of what concern is a candidate's personal taxes? While other presidents have chosen to release their tax returns, they are not required to. Some of us still believe in privacy.

Likes jim hardy
Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
I watched that a few weeks ago. It was interesting to see how they became the way that they are today.
Evo's post about Trump being a modern day Wallace, had me go back and research the McCarthy hearings, as Trump's one time lawyer, Roy Cohn, was the chief legal council in the hearings.

Wow...

The McCarthy hearings took place before I was born, so all I knew about them, was that it was a commie witch hunt. But I discovered, that there was more to it, than just commies.

The similarities between those hearings, and this election, had me both laughing and crying, at the same time.

Key words, in both cases:
"sex, lies, FBI, State Department, gavel-to-gavel live television coverage, sparred over the handling of secret files, ..."

About the only things that have changed, are the names, and what type witch we are now hunting.

Since PF is a science forum, I think it is worthwhile to have a reality check on the candidates' views on science. Luckily, Scientific American has provided one:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/grading-the-presidential-candidates-on-science/

The bottom line:
TOTALS
Clinton: 64

Trump: 7

Johnson: 30

Stein: 44
Out of 19 questions ranked 0 to 5, Trump gets a grand total of 7. I think we can safely say that anti-scientific is just the first name. Neither Clinton's or the others' scores are great, but Trump's is just apalling across the board.

Edit: Just to pick directly from the SA article, Trump scores 0 out of 5 in the following categories:
  • Climate change
  • Biodiversity
  • Energy
  • Education
  • Public health
  • Water
  • Food
  • Global challenges
  • Regulations
  • Opioids
  • Ocean health
  • Scientific integrity

Last edited:
Likes phinds, Evo, CalcNerd and 2 others
Orodruin said:
Since PF is a science forum, I think it is worthwhile to have a reality check on the candidates' views on science. Luckily, Scientific American has provided one:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/grading-the-presidential-candidates-on-science/

The bottom line:

Out of 19 questions ranked 0 to 5, Trump gets a grand total of 7. I think we can safely say that anti-scientific is just the first name. Neither Clinton's or the others' scores are great, but Trump's is just apalling across the board.
From the first one for Trump:
His answer to this question contradicts responses to three other questions in the survey, however, in which he references "limited" financial resources, which would presumably prevent following through on any of these ideas.
Given a contradiction, always assume the worst of Trump, of course!

Clinton on Climate change and energy:
[Climate Change]Clinton acknowledges that "climate change is an urgent threat and a defining challenge of our time." She outlines a plan "to generate half of our electricity from clean sources," to cut "energy waste" by a third and to "reduce American oil consumption by a third" over the next 10 years. To achieve these goals she plans to "implement and build on" current "pollution and efficiency standards and clean energy tax incentives." Clinton loses a point for not saying where she will find the money to pay for such initiatives.
[similar answer on energy, shorter timeframe:]
"rejects the notion that we as a country are forced to choose between our economy, our environment, and our security." She hopes to "generate half of our electricity from clean sources" and install "half a billion solar panels" by the end of her first term.
In 10 years! 4 years!? Utter nonsense empty promise: 9/10, A for effort! :rolleyes:

Any answer on energy or climate change that doesn't include the word "nuclear" or has a time horizon of less than 30 years for a major undertaking of any sort is just a meaningless wishful thinking typical campaign promise.

Dont get me wrong, id probably rank hillaty higher than Trump, but SA let's their bias rule their scoring.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
russ_watters said:
Dont get me wrong, id probably rank hillaty higher than Trump, but SA let's their bias rule their scoring.
Are you saying that you do not let your own bias rule yours?

Likes S.G. Janssens
russ_watters said:
Why do you call Scientific American "biased"? That by itself seems a bit biased to me.

Krylov said:
Why do you call Scientific American "biased"? That by itself seems a bit biased to me.
To make the claim one would have to explore the affiliations and missions of Nature Publishing Group, Editor Mariette DiChristina and direct writers Christine Gorman, Ryan F. Mandelbaum.

Krylov said:
I gave the explanation/analysis in the post.
[edit]
It is interesting to me that I received two negative responses to a secondary extension of my conclusion without even any reference to the conclusion itself (my point was the analysis/scoring was bad), much less any critique of my analysis that led to it. What am I supposed to judge from that?!

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
To make the claim one would have to explore the affiliations and missions of Nature Publishing Group, Editor Mariette DiChristina and direct writers Christine Gorman, Ryan F. Mandelbaum.
You can approach the question based on the input or the output. Using the input (who did the work) can be useful but gets messy. Judging the output on its own merit (which is what I did) is more direct.

Likes NTL2009, Jaeusm and Bystander
Orodruin said:
Are you saying that you do not let your own bias rule yours?
Everyone is affected by their own biases in some non-zero way, including you, me* and SA. One would hope a scientific source like SA would do better based on a scientific worldview that should be good at minimizing bias, but if I had to guess, I'd say that when dealing with non-quantitative judgements rather than hard data, they get out of their normal approach and are not as good at making objective judgements.

But do you have any comment on the actual analysis I gave? I'll be clear/succinct about the contradiction issue:
Given two contradicting answers to similar questions (say, you are grading a paper or test), do you:
A. Judge each answer for what it is.
A2. ...and maybe deduct an additional point for the contradiction.
B. Assume the positive answer for both and give a good score for both.
C. Assume a negative answer for both and award a bad score even for the good answer.

P.S.
*And by the way, based on the fact that I don't run from "gotcha" questions about my own bias, I do think that makes me better at recognizing and therefore dealing with my own bias than most.

P.P.S., Given the fact that I am strongly anti-Hillary and anti-Trump, what do you think is driving my bias in this analysis?

Last edited:
Krylov said:

Every subjective viewpoint is biased.

russ_watters said:
Everyone is affected by their own biases in some non-zero way, including you, me* and SA.
Well, this much is obvious and I have never claimed otherwise. Any scientifically inclined person knows this. Yes, I know that I am biased and that we are all biased by the sources that we have selected to get input from. Of course knowing about your bias is the first step in countering it, but it is still there. However, based on the coverage we have seen in Europe, I think most Europeans are baffled by the fact that Trump is still in the running. Clinton is not ideal and there are issues that would have cost her the election in a normal year. However, judging by what I see from Trump, what he says is often completely incoherent and not related to a question he is asked - far more so than any politician I have seen (and that is being said having a Spanish wife so I have heard quite a lot of awful stuff about Spanish politicians lately). From what I see, Clinton is far from ideal, but Trump is inherently unfit for office.

russ_watters said:
P.P.S., Given the fact that I am strongly anti-Hillary and anti-Trump, what do you think is driving my bias in this analysis?
This is something that have not been clear to me in your argumentation. From the way you have argued previously, I would have deduced you as strongly supporting Trump. So let me just ask you one question: If you had to pick one of them to govern, which one would you pick? - or in other words - Who do you find the lesser of two evils?
This is a very real scenario, since I do not think anyone seriously believes that there will be an electoral college deadlock or a different candidate with any reasonable chance even if McMullin might win Utah.

In the October issue of "Physics Today" the AIP monthly magazine there is a comparison of Clinton's and Trumps stands on science. The article is not freely viewable on the Internet so I will try to summarize it as best I can. (Note: I have an unfavorable view of a Trump presidency and and have accepted Clinton as the lesser of two evils).

Trump's position on science policy is speculative because of his lack of coherent public statements. Clinton has made available significant information on her science policies on her website. Physics Today could not obtain an interview with either of Trump's or Clinton's advisors on science. Physics Today used published information and presented representative views of the candidates. They acknowledged that Trumps gave more general and terse responses to the 20 Science and Technology questions posed by ScienceDebate.org a coalition of 56 of scientific societies universities and other non profits.

Bob Walker a lobbyist and former Republican chairman of the House Science Committee noted that Trump has a small staff dedicated to a science agenda and not doing much work on it. Clinton on the other hand has a staff of a couple of hundred some with S&T backgrounds working on transition.

The article quoted several notable persons who have negative comments on Trump's view of science but noting Trump hasn't said much on the topic.

The article pointed out that there is bipartisan support in Congress for science but programs may be hindered by budget concerns. Trump's fiscal plan seems like it would severally limit funding of discretionary programs like scientific research. Clinton's on the other hand does not advocate policies that would reduce the federal budget. However Dems favor applied research so there is some concerns that the money will go into areas that favor a political agenda.

The article discusses candidates views on Climate Change, Energy , R&D and NASA. I am pretty sure we all know where they stand on climate change so I will not beat this dead cat.

On Energy

Clinton has a strong program on renewable energy. She want 140 GW of solar power by 2021 while the Solar Energy Industries Assoc. expects 100 GW. She expects a 10 fold increase in solar, wind, and hydro power in the next 10 years. She supports R&D for energy storage, advanced nuclear technology and carbon capture and storage. She proposes a "Clean Energy Challenge" a $60B 10year program of state and local grants and incentives for deploying clean energy. She supports advance nuclear power and work to ensure that nuclear power is "appropriately valued".

Trumps energy plan sees energy independence through increased drilling and saving the declining coal industry. He would eliminate unnecessary or outdated regulations that restrict new drilling technologies. The article notes his disdain of renewable energy and energy efficiency by his statements that wind farms are "disgusting looking" and "bad for people health" and that th new environmentally friendly light bulbs "cause cancer". However in Trump fashion he also says that energy independence also requires exploring every possible energy source including solar, wind, nuclear and biofuels.

On R&D and NASA

Clinton notes that as a percent of GDP that federal spending is lower today than before the launch of Sputnik 1 and will increase the research budget for NSF, DOE, DARPA. She supports a strong space exploration, science and technology to protect our security and protect our planet and expand our robotic presence in the solar system. She did not mention NASA explicitly. She will boost the neglected NIH budget especially for Alzheimer research and Biden's "moonshot" cancer initiative.

Trump says he supports the federal government's encouragement and support of innovation in space exploration and investment in R&D in academia and investing in science, engineering, health care, regardless of budget pressures. He noted that space exploration will "bring millions of jobs and trillions of dollars in investment to this country". Although he supports space exploration he stated in NH in August that he wants to rebuild the US infrastructure first.

Clinton seems to have a plan which seems ambitious and probably not as fundable as necessary to accomplish her promises. She does not mention infrastructure issues and leaves us to guess how they will be dealt with or compete with her science programs. So I will not hold my breath to see what will be implemented if she is elected. Trump on the other hand seems not to have any plan on science and because of contradictory statements on various issues leaves me concerned about his presidency if elected.

Likes Evo, CalcNerd and russ_watters
Orodruin said:
Well, this much is obvious and I have never claimed otherwise. Any scientifically inclined person knows this.
...But you still had to ask me.
However, based on the coverage we have seen in Europe, I think most Europeans are baffled by the fact that Trump is still in the running...
I largely agree with that paragraph (and wrongly predicted his demise multiple times during the primary race), but that is largely irrelevant to the current discussion.
This is something that have not been clear to me in your argumentation. From the way you have argued previously, I would have deduced you as strongly supporting Trump.
That's disappointing since I try to say as often as I can (including twice in our current exchange plus a detailed description of my voting dillema/logic in the post at the top of this page of the discussion). I guess I should just put it in my signature.
So let me just ask you one question: If you had to pick one of them to govern, which one would you pick? - or in other words - Who do you find the lesser of two evils?
If the ballot only had two choices and no write-in ability, I'd probably leave it empty. If someone held a gun to my head and made me chose one button or the other, I'd probably waver a bit before pressing Hillary's.

My actual rating of Hillary is: Democratic business as usual, but substantially worse than average character (She doesn't even stack up well against her husband on character!).

My actual rating of Trump is: cartoon character, come to life. While I see no particular danger from him (though that may be partly because he's so incoherent) and would probably enjoy the show if he won, he isn't the type of person who should be President.
This is a very real scenario, since I do not think anyone seriously believes that there will be an electoral college deadlock or a different candidate with any reasonable chance even if McMullin might win Utah.
I don't understand: what is a real scenario? The idea of only having two choices? No it isn't: there are 3rd party candidates on the ballot in my state and I can even write-in someone if I want (as I said above, I'm still considering it).

Likes mheslep
russ_watters said:
I don't understand: what is a real scenario? The idea of only having two choices? No it isn't: there are 3rd party candidates on the ballot in my state and I can even write-in someone if I want (as I said above, I'm still considering it).
Well, you are not forced to pick a candidate but also have the choice of letting others decide for you (which is your democratic right). However, in the end we both know that barring some very unlikely scenarios, Clinton or Trump will be president in january. Your vote will not matter more than if you chose not to vote apart from making a democratic statement (which again is fine by me). How you chose to exercise your democratic rights is up to you. All I am saying is that while I can understand your reasoning, I would have come to a different personal conclusion.

Likes Evo
Orodruin said:
Well, you are not forced to pick a candidate but also have the choice of letting others decide for you (which is your democratic right).
Well, one might suggest that voting for any candidate besides the eventual winner is letting "others decide for you", but others might suggest that either such view is decidedly anti-democratic!
However, in the end we both know that barring some very unlikely scenarios, Clinton or Trump will be president in january.
Of course! I just didn't understand your language when you pointed to an "very real scenario" that actually wasn't real at all.
Your vote will not matter more than if you chose not to vote apart from making a democratic statement (which again is fine by me). How you chose to exercise your democratic rights is up to you. All I am saying is that while I can understand your reasoning, I would have come to a different personal conclusion.
Fair enoug. And yes, I went through the actual math of the various chocies above/a couple of days ago: Since I'm a life-long Republican, a vote for Hillary instead of Trump would be a swing of two votes between them whereas a vote for a third party or write-in instead of Trump is a swing of one vote between Trump and Hillary.

Of course, it is also a swing of two votes against Trump and one vote against Hillary, so in that way, it has a bigger impact! See, voting for a write-in or 3rd party sends a totally different message than the choice of Hillary vs Trump, so the math is totally different as well, if you consider that message.

russ_watters said:
Of course, it is also a swing of two votes against Trump and one vote against Hillary, so in that way, it has a bigger impact!
While this may be true in actual number of votes, I do not think that using number of votes accurately describes the utility value of the vote. Of course, this depends on how you assign your value function, which is ultimatelt a subjective choice. In my choice of value function, based on a winner takes it all system, I would essentially only consider the difference between the winner and runner up as this is what matters in the end. With such a value function, voting for a third-party or independent candidate would have the same value change as not voting.

Orodruin said:
While this may be true in actual number of votes, I do not think that using number of votes accurately describes the utility value of the vote. Of course, this depends on how you assign your value function, which is ultimatelt a subjective choice. In my choice of value function, based on a winner takes it all system, I would essentially only consider the difference between the winner and runner up as this is what matters in the end. With such a value function, voting for a third-party or independent candidate would have the same value change as not voting.
We are finally exactly in agreement about something: yes, a person's choice of value function is personal/subjective.

I do have a question though: Do you have a threshold of 3rd party support or even uniform distaste for the two leading candidates (or a combination of the two) where you might shift toward the value function I favor in this election?

In the extreme case, you might be the deciding voter between three candidates at roughly 33% of the vote...and, of course, you wouldn't know that on your way into the voting booth (you would only know the race is close). Would you still vote for a major party candidate even if you preferred the 3rd party candidate and held the swing vote? If no, what is the threshold of 3rd party support that might lead you to change your value function? 10%? 20%? 25%? Or does it also depend on the depth of your distaste for the other candidates?

russ_watters said:
Do you have a threshold of 3rd party support or even uniform distaste for the two leading candidates (or a combination of the two) where you might shift toward the value function I favor in this election?
The value function I proposed is my zeroth order approximation. I have not given it much thought on top of that as the elections I vote in do not assign parliamentary seats in the same way as yours do. I would agree that your value function may prove a good approximation (with appropriate weights to all candidates) in a close three-way race. I would probably go for a soft threshold rather than a hard one.

russ_watters said:
Or does it also depend on the depth of your distaste for the other candidates?
Certainly my tastes and distates for the candidates should enter into the value function, but again I have not given it much more further thought for the same reasons as stated above.

Likes russ_watters
Krylov said:
When I read the article, my first thought was it was biased. Scientists are really just another special interest group looking for their cut of the political pie, so it's not surprising that Hillary's tendency to see government as the solution to many problems is going to win her some points. There's also an underlying assumption in some questions that the government has a role in solving some problems that candidates like Gary Johnson simply don't accept as valid.

Orodruin said:
However, based on the coverage we have seen in Europe, I think most Europeans are baffled by the fact that Trump is still in the running.
I think it baffles many US citizens too. That said, I can understand why Trump is still in the running. In my opinion, there's a very justified impression that the political class has grown completely self-serving. If its members breaks the law, they get away with it. Clapper blatantly lying to Congress about widespread surveillance yet not going to jail, Comey giving Hillary a pass on the e-mail scandal (well, at least until last Friday), no one from Wall Street going to jail for almost destroying the economy, etc. The Iraq War is seen now as a colossal mistake, sold to the public with lies, yet no one has taken responsibility for it. On the flip side, the homeowner who took out that ill-advised mortgage didn't get help from Washington while Congress made sure the bank who sold that same risky mortgage was supplied with billions of dollars to keep from failing. Both Sanders and Trump had success because of this frustration with the people in power, both Republican and Democratic.

Clinton is not ideal and there are issues that would have cost her the election in a normal year…. From what I see, Clinton is far from ideal, but Trump is inherently unfit for office.
It struck me a while ago that Clinton and Trump seem to enable each other. Trump is only succeeding because Clinton represents exactly what many Americans can't stand about the current political system; Clinton meanwhile hasn't crashed and burned like she might have in other years because Trump is a nut job. It's pretty common to hear that you should vote for Clinton because we can't risk a Trump presidency, not because Clinton is a great candidate.

Likes CalcNerd, Astronuc, jim hardy and 1 other person
vela said:
There's also an underlying assumption in some questions that the government has a role in solving some problems that candidates like Gary Johnson simply don't accept as valid.
I noticed the 2/5 score for Johnson on climate change. Unfortunately, I can't read their article they link as a source for why the market alone can't solve the problem, so I don't know the specifics of their tack (how much of the market can be harnessed?), but there is little doubt that the primary cause of the US's remarkable carbon emission reduction to date was market driven, not government regulation driven; it was the rise of fracking for natural gas. Sure, the carbon reduction was an accidental side-effect, but it is still dismaying that more good came from an accidental expansion of a greenhouse gas emitter than all of the government's concerted efforts at promoting "green" energy and speaks to his point of the ineffectiveness and special-interest driven nature of government efforts, which is the premise of his point.

Likes mheslep
Orodruin said:
The value function I proposed is my zeroth order approximation. I have not given it much thought on top of that as the elections I vote in do not assign parliamentary seats in the same way as yours do. I would agree that your value function may prove a good approximation (with appropriate weights to all candidates) in a close three-way race. I would probably go for a soft threshold rather than a hard one.

Certainly my tastes and distates for the candidates should enter into the value function, but again I have not given it much more further thought for the same reasons as stated above.
Fair enough. It appears to me that our thought process isn't actually that dissimilar, we just place different values on the input "values" based on our values/judgement.

For example, I voted for Ted Cruz instead of Kasich against Trump in the primary based on the same chosen value function you are applying to the general election (at that point, Kasich had no chance of winning, but Cruz still did).

But in the general election, my distaste for Hillary is too high and the ratio of my distaste for Trump vs my distaste for Hillary is too low for me to use your value function. Or if we combine the equations and simplify by cancelling out the common denominator (Trump), my distaste for Hillary is greater than my distaste for Cruz; enough greater to trigger a 3rd party vote in the general election.

Isn't there more at stake here than just the character and personality of the candidates? @russ_watters: If forced to choose you would choose Clinton over Trump? Judging from your previous posts, I am surprised by this. Are you really willing to settle for Clinton's position on the issues and her supreme court picks over Trump's?

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy and mheslep
russ_watters said:
Fair enough. It appears to me that our thought process isn't actually that dissimilar, we just place different values on the input "values" based on our values/judgement.

For example, I voted for Ted Cruz instead of Kasich against Trump in the primary based on the same chosen value function you are applying to the general election (at that point, Kasich had no chance of winning, but Cruz still did).

But in the general election, my distaste for Hillary is too high and the ratio of my distaste for Trump vs my distaste for Hillary is too low for me to use your value function. Or if we combine the equations and simplify by cancelling out the common denominator (Trump), my distaste for Hillary is greater than my distaste for Cruz; enough greater to trigger a 3rd party vote in the general election.
Strange, my thinking is who is best for the country despite of how much I like or dislike them. The answer is Clinton. I don't have to like someone to know that they are more competent. The Presidency isn't a popularity contest, this isn't voting for prom King or Queen, but listening to people's reasons for voting, I'd think this was high school. It's so disappointing.

Likes phinds and vela
Evo said:
Strange, my thinking is who is best for the country despite of how much I like or dislike them? The answer is Clinton. I don't have to like someone to know that they are more competent.

Is Clinton really the best for the country? I guess that would depend on whether you consider the status quo a viable model for long term success. Many don't, many middle class families have disappeared, wages are stagnate, the economy is puttering along. Not exactly hard to see why people are angry or skeptical at politicians in general.

Clinton isn't exactly selling herself as a candidate of "hope and change."

Likes russ_watters, jim hardy and mheslep
Student100 said:
Is Clinton really the best for the country? I guess that would depend on whether you consider the status quo a viable model for long term success. Many don't, many middle class families have disappeared, wages are stagnate, the economy is puttering along. Not exactly hard to see why people are angry or skeptical at politicians in general.

Clinton isn't exactly selling herself as a candidate of "hope and change."
Yes, she is best for the country, and the people that are best at judging that have said so, and that's been posted in the previous thread already, and no I don't have time to dig up all of the endorsements right now, but I probably should because it would be a real eye opener. Angry people aren't the best judges of who is capable.

Here is a current one. Colin Powell.

Former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell said Tuesday he'll vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, a high-profile snub of his party's standard-bearer, Donald Trump.

Hacked emails released in September showed Powell strongly condemning Trump, labeling him a "national disgrace and an international pariah."
In one email dated August 3, Powell wrote, "Trump is nuts. Everybody wants me to speak out, but I will pick the time and place for maximum effect like I did in 2008 and 2012. Right now, Trump is his worst own enemy."

Clinton has earned the support of other high-profile Republicans, including former Sen. Larry Pressler, Sally Bradshaw (who was a senior adviser on Jeb Bush's campaign) and Hewlett Packard CEO Meg Whitman and ex-Reagan political director Frank Lavin.
And according to sources, George H.W. Bush said he will vote for Clinton.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/25/politics/colin-powell-hillary-clinton-endorsement/

Last edited:
Student100 said:
Is Clinton really the best for the country? I guess that would depend on whether you consider the status quo a viable model for long term success.

Not really. If I have to choose between the two, Trump is a non-starter because he's a narcissist and pathological liar. Would I like to see significant change from the status quo? Yes, but not with Trump at the helm.

Likes phinds, jtbell and russ_watters
vela said:
Trump is a non-starter because he's a narcissist and pathological liar
The same can't be said for Hillary?

Likes mheslep, Jaeusm, russ_watters and 3 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
DoubleTriple "like."

Greg Bernhardt said:
But Hillary has the competency and qualifications to be President. There is the difference. Oh, not nuts, many people refer to Trump as nuts.

70 Nobel Laureates Endorse Hillary Clinton

A group of the world’s leading experts in science, medicine and economics threw their support behind Hillary Clinton on Tuesday, endorsing the Democratic presidential candidate and arguing that her election is crucial for safeguarding freedom and preserving a constitutional government.

The forceful endorsement came in a http://www.nobellaureatesforclinton.us/ signed by 70 Nobel laureates hailing from a variety of fields and making the case that Mrs. Clinton is the candidate who best understands the importance of investing in science and technology at a time when the world faces challenges on several fronts. The letter made no mention of Donald J. Trump, but it suggested that policies that show a lack of appreciation of scientific knowledge could damage America’s prestige and national security.

“We need a president who will support and advance policies that will enable science and technology to flourish in our country and to provide the basis of important policy decisions,” they wrote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/19/us/politics/70-nobel-laureates-endorse-hillary-clinton.html?_r=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
No, I don't think so. Even if I were to stipulate that Hillary is a narcissist and a pathological liar, Trump exhibits those traits to a much greater degree. It's not even close.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/lists/people/comparing-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-truth-o-met/

Likes Evo
vela said:
Trump is a non-starter because he's a narcissist and pathological liar.

I think such assertions should be based on something.

This was a very fair and insightful look into both of them.
OmCheeto said:
Just finished watching Frontline's: The Choice 2016 [2 hours long!]

Interesting historical background on Trump & Clinton.
I have to admit, the only thing I knew about Trump, before now, was that he had bad hair.

There's also a transcript.

I won't go off on a pop-psy tangent. Just saying you should look to their early childhoods. That piece touches on them briefly. Who you are is set by age five.

Look up their parents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Howell_Rodham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_E._Rodham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Trump
articles about his Mom are not so easy to find.
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/donald-trumps-immigrant-mother
(edited to fix malformed link )
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tish-immigrant-wife-businessman-revealed.html old jim

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
Evo said:
Strange, my thinking is who is best for the country despite of how much I like or dislike them.
Don't be glib, Evo; you know this isn't simply a personal like/dislike issue but what a like/dislike on relevant character traits means for the country. If I voted based on who I'd like to have a beer with, Obama would be my favorite recent President!

Evo said:
Yes, she is best for the country, and the people that are best at judging that have said so, and that's been posted in the previous thread already, and no I don't have time to dig up all of the endorsements right now, but I probably should because it would be a real eye opener. Angry people aren't the best judges of who is capable.
LOL, back to the idea that people should be told what to do instead of allowed to choose themselves. I'm glad we don't live in the country you describe and you probably should be too, otherwise the "Obamamaniacs" wouldn't have been allowed to vote!

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
TurtleMeister said:
Isn't there more at stake here than just the character and personality of the candidates? @russ_watters: If forced to choose you would choose Clinton over Trump? Judging from your previous posts, I am surprised by this. Are you really willing to settle for Clinton's position on the issues and her supreme court picks over Trump's?
I didn't actually say "character" there, I just said "distaste". There are a lot of components of that, and character is just one. But unfortunately, in an election that hasn't been much about the issues, I therefore haven't discussed the issues much.

Yes, your points do concern me. It's a tough call, choosing between someone I'm relatively sure would make the "wrong" decisions and someone who I don't trust to make any decisions at all.

Evo said:

This is America, no person's opinion is more valuable than another in politics. The ballot does not care if you are well informed or not.