Oroville Dam Evacuation: 180,000+ Forced to Leave

• News
  • Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary, 200,000 people were evacuated from below the tallest dam in the USA and it was the right call. Al Jazeera is reporting on the event. There is talk of a potential payout of ≈1/4 billion dollars if the dam had actually failed.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Starting a thread
1) Provide a clear statement of purpose

Just a "Wow. Look at this!" factor: 180,000+ people evacuated from below the tallest dam in the USA.

2) Link to a reputable news agency reporting the event

Just about everyone is now talking about this. Even Al Jazeera!

3a) The event must be current...

I first heard about this situation two days ago, so, I'm calling it "current".

3a) The event must be ... reasonably news worthy for a general population

There are 7 billion people on the planet, so the plight of ≈200,000 people being stuck in traffic might not be news worthy of the general planetary population.
4) No opinion, op ed, humor or editorial stories

General
1) Politeness and respect for others is essential
2) Show reasonable effort to provide sources for any factual claims
3) Clearly state an opinion as such and not asserted as fact

Freakin' Kobyashy Maru, dude!

Last edited:
Likes RonL, jedishrfu, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, it was a dicey situation there for a few hours. Failure looked like it could happen at any time, so the authorities made the call to evacuate. It was the right call, IMO, but it was sure tough on the folks trying to get out. It looks like things are settling down a bit now, and they may have a better handle soon about whether they can let folks back to their homes.

A friend of mine is a Red Cross volunteer here in the Bay Area, and he got put on 4-hour standby status last night at 9PM to be ready to deploy for shelter work if necessary.

Likes mheslep and OmCheeto
Kowabunga!

Likes OmCheeto
Update:

Likes davenn, mheslep, RonL and 2 others
Re-Opening of Main Spillway to reduce the water level before rains and snow melt.

They don't want to see this again.

Last edited:
Likes RonL and OmCheeto
Not sure about anyone else, but I've been eating up the videos from the California DWR:

Latest:

Last spill was, from my best guess, on May 19th:

Likes BillTre and nsaspook
Watching the magnitude of this project makes me just, um, wow..., how much is this costing??

Answer: ≈1/4 billion dollars [ref]
Annual value of Sacramento Valley crops grown that would probably not exist without the dam: ≈17 billion dollars [ref]

Seems like a reasonable investment.

Likes Asymptotic and BillTre
Pretty nice drone shots. Drone shots are great modern innovation!
I figure they have at least two since I saw one (lower left side) at the end of the second video in post #6.

OmCheeto said:
Answer: ≈1/4 billion dollars [ref]
Annual value of Sacramento Valley crops grown that would probably not exist without the dam: ≈17 billion dollars [ref]

That would be a 68 X payback (to society generally speaking) in a year, or a payback time of 5.367 days.
I don't know that anyone uses such statistics (a balance sheet for society), but it seems an interesting approach to me.

Likes Asymptotic
BillTre said:
Pretty nice drone shots. Drone shots are great modern innovation!
I figure they have at least two since I saw one (lower left side) at the end of the second video in post #6.
:thumbup:

That would be a 68 X payback (to society generally speaking) in a year, or a payback time of 5.367 days.
I don't know that anyone uses such statistics (a balance sheet for society), but it seems an interesting approach to me.

Just imagine if the dam had actually failed. :oldsurprised:
Based on the civil lawsuit regarding the Flint Michigan water fiasco[3/4 billion dollars by 1700 residents {ref} ], and if California hadn't made 180,000 people evacuate, who might have all died, I come up with a back of napkin figure of 75 billion dollars.

It can get expensive, when you don't do things right the first time, quibbling about pennies, when dollars are at stake, in the long run.

Likes BillTre

I've watched every single video.
I was worried that they'd not get done in time.

I should probably not worry so much.

Likes RonL

Likes OmCheeto

A few years later.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, OmCheeto and BillTre

What caused the Oroville Dam emergency?

The Oroville Dam emergency was caused by heavy rainfall and subsequent erosion of the dam's main spillway. This led to the discovery of a large crater in the spillway and concerns about the structural integrity of the dam.

How many people were affected by the evacuation?

Over 180,000 people were forced to evacuate their homes due to the Oroville Dam emergency. This includes residents in Butte, Sutter, and Yuba counties in California.

What measures were taken to address the emergency?

In response to the emergency, the California Department of Water Resources released water from the dam's emergency spillway to lower the water level and reduce the risk of flooding. Additionally, crews worked to reinforce the damaged main spillway with boulders and concrete.

Was the Oroville Dam at risk of failure?

While the dam was not at risk of immediate failure, there were concerns about the potential for flooding and damage to the surrounding area if the emergency was not addressed promptly. This led to the evacuation of nearby residents as a precautionary measure.

What is the current status of the Oroville Dam emergency?

As of February 2019, the Oroville Dam emergency has been declared over and the evacuation order has been lifted. However, repairs and updates to the dam and its spillways are ongoing to ensure the safety of the surrounding community.