Potential Function of a Conservative Force

In summary, the potential function related to a conservative force with the force given as F=y^2(i)+2xy(j) is U(x,y)=xy^2 + xy^2 = 2xy^2 + c, where c is a function of y.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

Given a conservative force with the Force given as F=y^2(i)+2xy(j), what is the potential function related to it.

Homework Equations

-dU/dx = F

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to integrate the components but I don't know how... since the (i) direction was differentiated with respect to x would I just treat the y as constant and say F=xy^2(i)+xy^2(j) + c ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, but remember that the potential is a scalar function. You've written down a result that is a vector and for some reason called it F. It might help to explicitly write down the components of F in terms of the partial derivatives of U.

So would it just be U(x,y)=xy^2 + xy^2 = 2xy^2 + c because it's a scalar?

bmb2009 said:
So would it just be U(x,y)=xy^2 + xy^2 = 2xy^2 + c because it's a scalar?

Close, but no. Remember, you are looking for a scalar function ##U(x,y)## such that ##\nabla U = \vec F##. So you need ##U_x = y^2## and ##U_y = 2xy##. Start by taking the anti-partial derivative of the first one with respect to ##x## by holding ##y## constant, as you asked in your original post. Don't forget when you do that your "constant" of integration will be a function of ##y##. Them make the second equation work.

Related to Potential Function of a Conservative Force

1. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that is dependent on the path taken by an object, rather than the starting and ending points. In other words, the work done by a conservative force on an object is independent of the path taken by the object.

2. How is a potential function related to a conservative force?

A potential function is a mathematical function that describes the potential energy associated with a conservative force. The gradient of the potential function gives the direction and magnitude of the conservative force.

3. What is the significance of a conservative force in physics?

Conservative forces play a crucial role in physics as they conserve energy. This means that the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of a system remains constant, even as the object moves through different paths.

4. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some common examples of conservative forces include gravity, electric forces, and spring forces. These forces can be described by a potential function and do not dissipate energy as an object moves through different paths.

5. How can the potential energy of an object be calculated using a conservative force?

The potential energy of an object can be calculated by integrating the conservative force over the distance traveled. This can be represented by the equation: ΔU = -W, where ΔU is the change in potential energy and W is the work done by the conservative force on the object.