Conservative vector field problem

In summary, the vector field given by F is conservative for values of the parameter alpha between 4 and 0. The work done along the curve of polar equation is found to be 2xy + 8 for those values of alpha.
Gianmarco

Homework Statement

Determine for which real values of the parameter ##\alpha## the vector field given by
##F(x,y) = (\frac{2xy}{y-\alpha}, 2 - \frac{4x^2}{(y-\alpha)^2})##
is conservative. For those values of ##\alpha##, calculate the work done along the curve of polar equation:
##\rho = \frac{\theta}{\pi}##

Homework Equations

If F is a conservative vector field, then:
##rotF=0##
we can find a potential function ##\phi s.t. \ F=\nabla\phi ##

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the parameter, I calculated the derivative of the first component of the field with respect to y and set it equal to the derivative of the second component with respect to x to show that the vector field is irrotational (I don't know if I can do that since the domain of the field is not simply connected and so schwarz' theorem for second derivatives doesn't apply). Either way, I found the plausible result that ##\alpha = 4##.
Since the vector field is conservative, I tried to find the potential function by integrating the second component ##2 - \frac{4x^2}{(y-\alpha)^2}## with respect to y.
This gives ##\phi(x,y) = 2y + \frac{4x^2}{y-4} + g(x)##
By deriving it with respect to x and equating it with the first component of the field, I got ##\frac{8x}{y-4} + g'(x) = \frac{2xy}{y-4}## which leads to ##g'(x) = \frac{2xy+8}{y-4}##.
This makes no sense because g(x) should be a function of x only and since I've proven that the field is conservative for that value of ##\alpha##, I should be able to find a potential function. Am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gianmarco said:

Homework Statement

Determine for which real values of the parameter ##\alpha## the vector field given by
##F(x,y) = (\frac{2xy}{y-\alpha}, 2 - \frac{4x^2}{(y-\alpha)^2})##
is conservative. For those values of ##\alpha##, calculate the work done along the curve of polar equation:
##\rho = \frac{\theta}{\pi}##

Homework Equations

If F is a conservative vector field, then:
##rotF=0##
we can find a potential function ##\phi s.t. \ F=\nabla\phi ##

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the parameter, I calculated the derivative of the first component of the field with respect to y and set it equal to the derivative of the second component with respect to x to show that the vector field is irrotational (I don't know if I can do that since the domain of the field is not simply connected and so schwarz' theorem for second derivatives doesn't apply). Either way, I found the plausible result that ##\alpha = 4##.
Since the vector field is conservative, I tried to find the potential function by integrating the second component ##2 - \frac{4x^2}{(y-\alpha)^2}## with respect to y.
This gives ##\phi(x,y) = 2y + \frac{4x^2}{y-4} + g(x)##
By deriving it with respect to x and equating it with the first component of the field, I got ##\frac{8x}{y-4} + g'(x) = \frac{2xy}{y-4}## which leads to ##g'(x) = \frac{2xy+8}{y-4}##.
This makes no sense because g(x) should be a function of x only and since I've proven that the field is conservative for that value of ##\alpha##, I should be able to find a potential function. Am I wrong?
Error in the very last step: ##\frac{8x}{y-4} + g'(x) = \frac{2xy}{y-4}## doesn't lead to ##g'(x) = \frac{2xy+8}{y-4}##.

Likes Gianmarco
Samy_A said:
Error in the very last step: ##\frac{8x}{y-4} + g'(x) = \frac{2xy}{y-4}## doesn't lead to ##g'(x) = \frac{2xy+8}{y-4}##.
Thank you.

Related to Conservative vector field problem

1. What is a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is a type of vector field in which the line integral between any two points is independent of the path taken. This means that the work done by the vector field on a particle moving between these two points is the same regardless of the path taken.

2. How can I determine if a vector field is conservative?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus for line integrals. This theorem states that if the vector field is conservative, then its line integral can be evaluated using only the values at the endpoints of the path. If the line integral depends on the path, then the vector field is not conservative.

3. What are some real-world applications of conservative vector fields?

Conservative vector fields have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. One common example is the gravitational force, which is a conservative vector field. The work done by gravity on an object moving between two points is only dependent on the positions of those two points, not on the path taken.

4. Can a vector field be partially conservative?

Yes, a vector field can be partially conservative. This means that the field is conservative in some regions but not in others. In these cases, the line integral will only be independent of the path in the regions where the field is conservative.

5. How can I use conservative vector fields in calculations?

Conservative vector fields can be useful in many calculations, such as finding the work done by a force or the potential energy of a system. They can also be used to solve differential equations and in other mathematical applications. By recognizing a vector field as conservative, you can simplify calculations and make them more efficient.