Possible Poker Hand Combinations from a Deck of 52 Cards

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of possible poker hands that can be formed from a deck of 52 cards. The different types of hands mentioned include 4 of a kind, 3 of a kind, flush, full house, straight, and straight flush. The solutions for each type of hand are calculated using combinations and taking into account the possible suits for each card. Some mistakes are pointed out and corrected in the attempted solutions.
cragar

Homework Statement

A poker hand conatins 5 cards chosen from a deck of 52.
1. How many hands are possible
a. 4 of a kind
b.3 of a kind
c. flush
d. full house
e. straight
f. straight flush

The Attempt at a Solution

When i write (5,2) I mean 5 choose 2 .

1. (52,5)
a. I have 13 different choices from 2 ... king, ace .
so (13,1)*(4,4)*(12,1)*(4,1) then my last card has to come from the remaining 12 and then of the 4 of those cards I have to pick 1 .
b. (13,1)(4,3)(12,1)(4,1)(11,1)(4,1)
When I pick my last cards I have to pick from different rows to avoid getting 4 of a kind or a full house.
c. I have 4 different suits to pick from so I pick 1 of the four then pick 5 of the suits 13 cards. so it will be (4,1)(13,5)
d. full house will be (13,1)(4,3)(12,2)
e. Well there are 9 ways to get a straight with 5 cards numerically in a row.
and their are 4 copies of an ace so i think the answer is 4^5(9)
f. well there are 9 ways to get a straight an 4 suits so 9*36 but it would be (9,1)(4,1)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the wrong answers for b and d.

With three-of-a-kind, you're double-counting since you count XXXab and XXXba separately.

With the full house, the factor of (12,2) isn't right because you want the final two cards to be a pair, and you left out the factor because of the possible suits for the pair.

yes your right. part d. should be (13,1)(4,3)(12,1)(4,2)
and on b. I am off by a factor of 2 .
for part b. (13,1)(4,3)(12,2)(4,1)(4,1)

Related to Possible Poker Hand Combinations from a Deck of 52 Cards

What is the probability of getting a flush in poker?

The probability of getting a flush in poker is approximately 0.1965 or 19.65%. This is calculated by dividing the number of possible flush hands (4,047) by the total number of poker hands (2,598,960).

How many different two pair combinations are possible in poker?

There are 1,098 possible two pair combinations in poker. This can be calculated by multiplying the number of ways to choose the first pair (13) by the number of ways to choose the second pair (12), and then dividing by 2 to account for the fact that the order of the pairs does not matter.

What is the chance of getting a royal flush in poker?

The probability of getting a royal flush in poker is approximately 0.000154% or 1 in 649,739. This is calculated by dividing the number of possible royal flush hands (4) by the total number of poker hands (2,598,960).

How many different full house combinations are possible in poker?

There are 3,744 possible full house combinations in poker. This can be calculated by multiplying the number of ways to choose the three of a kind (13) by the number of ways to choose the two of a kind (12).

What is the chance of getting a straight flush in poker?

The probability of getting a straight flush in poker is approximately 0.00139% or 1 in 72,193. This is calculated by dividing the number of possible straight flush hands (40) by the total number of poker hands (2,598,960).