Probability of a single pair poker hand

In summary: I just didn't understand why my logic was wrong. I see now where I was mistaken. In summary, the number of one-pair 5-card poker hands in a standard 52-card deck is calculated by choosing 4 ranks out of 13 and then selecting one of those ranks to be duplicated across suits, resulting in a total of 1098240 possible hands. This is equivalent to the formula {}^nC_k = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!} when applied to the ranks and suits in the poker hand.
hotvette
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

How many one-pair 5-card poker hands are there in a standard 52-card deck?

Homework Equations

[tex]
{}^nC_k = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}
[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I've seen the following solution in several different places:
[tex]
n = {}^{13}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_2 \cdot {}^{12}C_3 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 = 1098240
[/tex] and every term makes perfect sense. What I don't understand though, is why the following:
[tex] n = {}^{13}C4 \cdot {}^{4}C_2 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^4C_1
[/tex] underestimates the answer by a factor of 4. To me 13 choose 4 makes just as much sense as 13 choose one followed by 12 choose three, but of course one is correct and the other isn't. Can someone explain?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's fine but you need to count the number of suites you can pick.

Hmm, doesn't the 4C2 take care of suits? After thinking about this for a while, it seems to me the factor of 4 comes from the fact that {xx yzw} can be arranged 4 ways given that the order of yzw doesn't matter. Is this the correct way to look at it?

I think so, because I tried the same logic with 3 of a kind {xxx yz}. One solution is 13C1 x 4C3 x 12C2 x 4C1 x 4C1 = 54912 but a second way is 13C3 x 4C3 x 4C1 x 4C1 x 3C1 where the last 3C1 is the number of ways to arrange 3 values in {xxx yz} given the order of yz doesn't matter.

I also tried it with 4 of a kind {xxxx y}. One solution is 13C1 x 4C4 x 12C1 x 4C1 = 624 but a second way is 13C2 x 4C4 x 4C1 x 2C1 where the last 2C1 is the number of says to arrange 2 values in {xxx y}.

If my logic is correct, this is all (finally) making sense.

Last edited:
hotvette said:

Homework Statement

How many one-pair 5-card poker hands are there in a standard 52-card deck?

Homework Equations

[tex]
{}^nC_k = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}
[/tex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen the following solution in several different places:
[tex]
n = {}^{13}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_2 \cdot {}^{12}C_3 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 = 1098240
[/tex] and every term makes perfect sense. What I don't understand though, is why the following:
[tex] n = {}^{13}C4 \cdot {}^{4}C_2 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^{4}C_1 \cdot {}^4C_1
[/tex] underestimates the answer by a factor of 4. To me 13 choose 4 makes just as much sense as 13 choose one followed by 12 choose three, but of course one is correct and the other isn't. Can someone explain?[/B]
Pleas turn off the bold font; it makes it look like you are yelling at us, and is very distracting.

Anyway, I do not understand where your ##{13 \choose 4} \equiv {}^{13}C_4## comes from. What is the logic behind that way of writing things?

Strange, I never turned bold on in the first place, but clearly it was bold. Fixed now. Anyway, my logic was that for a single pair, I'm ultimately choosing 4 different cards from a pool of 13, one for the pair plus the remaining three. The math works if I consider that there are 4 different ways to group the 4 cards when using that scenario (each of the 4 cards could be the pair and the order of the remaining three does not matter). The logic seems to work for all of the scenarios I tried (one pair, two pair, four of a kind, 4 of a kind).

hotvette said:
Strange, I never turned bold on in the first place, but clearly it was bold. Fixed now. Anyway, my logic was that for a single pair, I'm ultimately choosing 4 different cards from a pool of 13, one for the pair plus the remaining three. The math works if I consider that there are 4 different ways to group the 4 cards when using that scenario (each of the 4 cards could be the pair and the order of the remaining three does not matter). The logic seems to work for all of the scenarios I tried (one pair, two pair, four of a kind, 4 of a kind).

After you have chosen 4 different cards from the 13 ranks, you need to pick ONE of those 4 ranks for duplication across suits, so there are ##C^4_1 = 4## ways of choosing the rank to be paired, then ##C^4_2## ways of choosing the pair from the 4 suits at that rank. Then, of course, for each of the other three ranks there are ##C^4_1## ways of choosing the suit. That gives the total number as ##C^{13}_4\, C^4_1 \,C^4_2 \, C^4_1 \, C^4_1 \, C^4_1 = 1098240##. THIS is the same as the other computation you mentioned!

Thanks, I think you confirmed what I was asking.

Related to Probability of a single pair poker hand

What is the probability of getting a single pair in a poker hand?

The probability of getting a single pair in a poker hand is approximately 42.26%, or 1 in 2.37 hands.

How is the probability of getting a single pair calculated in a poker hand?

The probability of getting a single pair is calculated by dividing the number of possible ways to get a single pair (13 * 6 * 4) by the total number of possible poker hands (52 * 51 * 50 * 49 * 48).

Is getting a single pair more or less likely than getting two pairs in a poker hand?

Getting a single pair is more likely than getting two pairs in a poker hand. The probability of getting two pairs is only approximately 4.75%.

What is the likelihood of getting a single pair in the first two cards dealt in Texas Hold'em?

The likelihood of getting a single pair in the first two cards dealt in Texas Hold'em is approximately 5.88%, or 1 in 17 hands.

Can the probability of getting a single pair change during a poker game?

Yes, the probability of getting a single pair can change during a poker game as more cards are dealt and the number of remaining cards decreases. The probability can also change depending on the number of players in the game and their betting actions.