What is the Probability of a Straight in a 5-Card Poker Hand?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: This means that there are 10 different hands that can be formed with 6,7,8,9 and 10, and so the probability is 10/2598960 = 0.0000038513.In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of being dealt a straight with a high card of 10 in five-card poker. The original attempt at a solution included incorrect assumptions about the definition of a straight and did not account for straight flushes. After realizing these errors, the correct probability was calculated to be 0.0000038513, taking into account the fact that straight flushes are included in the definition of a straight.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

In five-card poker, a straight consists of five cards with adja-cent denominations (e.g., 9 of clubs, 10 of hearts, jack of hearts, queen of spades, and king of clubs). Assuming that
aces can be high or low, if you are dealt a five-card hand, what is the probability that it will be a straight with high card 10? What is the probability that it will be a straight?
What is the probability that it will be a straight flush (all cards in the same suit)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the number of possible 5-card hands that can be dealt out: [itex]{{52}\choose{5}}=2598960[/itex]. To answer the first question, I imagined how the cards could be dealt out to generate a straight, since order doesn't matter. I know that, to make a straight, Jacks , Queens, Kings, Aces, 1s, 2s ,3s 4s, and 5s are out of the question. So, if I was dealt a 10, there would be 4 choices (two black and two red); and since either a red or a black will be chosen, then there are only two possibilities for the 9. If the 10 happened to be hearts or diamonds, then the the 9 would have to be a spades or clubs. Using this reasoning for the rest of them, I calculated that there would [itex]4 \cdot 2 \cdot 2 \cdot 2 \cdot 2 = 64 [/itex] different straight hands with 10 as the highest card. Thus, the probability would be [itex]\frac{64}{2598960}=.000024625[/itex]. However, the answer is .000394. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Emphasis mine:
Bashyboy said:
So, if I was dealt a 10, there would be 4 choices (two black and two red); and since either a red or a black will be chosen, then there are only two possibilities for the 9.
What makes you think this? There's nothing that says that a straight has to have alternating red and black cards. 6♣, 7♠, 8♣, 9♣, 10♣ -- that's a straight with the highest card a ten. The only tricky issue is a hand such as 6♣, 7♣, 8♣, 9♣, 10♣ -- that's a straight flush. Is this also a straight? In the real game, it isn't. It's much, much better. However, you can also look at a straight flush as just being a special kind of straight, and this makes the math a bit easier.

Yes, I just realized I read the problem incorrectly, and so I didn't properly know what a straight was. 6♣, 7♣, 8♣, 9♣, 10♣ would only be a straight flush. Wouldn't there be 4 different straight flushes that could be formed with 6,7,8,9 and 10? And so if I calculated 4^5, I would have to subtract out 4? Because 4^5 would be counting both the number of straights and straight flushes?

Last edited:
Do that and you'll come up with a value that is slightly smaller than the given "correct" answer of 0.000394. It appears that the authors consider a straight flush to be a straight.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

D H said:
Do that and you'll come up with a value that is slightly smaller than the given "correct" answer of 0.000394. It appears that the authors consider a straight flush to be a straight.
To be fair, the statement of the problem defines straights to include straight flushes.

Related to What is the Probability of a Straight in a 5-Card Poker Hand?

1. What is the probability of getting a Royal Flush in a standard 52-card deck?

The probability of getting a Royal Flush, which is the highest ranking hand in poker, is 0.000154% or 1 in 649,739. This means that in a random selection of 649,739 hands, only one would be a Royal Flush.

2. How likely is it to get a Straight Flush in a game of poker?

The probability of getting a Straight Flush, which is the second highest ranking hand in poker, is 0.00139% or 1 in 72,192. This means that in a random selection of 72,192 hands, only one would be a Straight Flush.

3. What is the probability of getting Four of a Kind in a 5-card hand?

The probability of getting Four of a Kind, which is the third highest ranking hand in poker, is 0.0240% or 1 in 4,164. This means that in a random selection of 4,164 hands, only one would be a Four of a Kind.

4. How likely is it to get a Full House in a game of poker?

The probability of getting a Full House, which is the fourth highest ranking hand in poker, is 0.1441% or 1 in 693. This means that in a random selection of 693 hands, only one would be a Full House.

5. What is the probability of getting a Flush in a 5-card hand?

The probability of getting a Flush, which is the fifth highest ranking hand in poker, is 0.1965% or 1 in 508. This means that in a random selection of 508 hands, only one would be a Flush.