Poll: Was the 2004 election rigged?

• News
  • Thread starter pattylou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: Former soccer referee.Personally, I'm left-leaning when I'm walking to the North and right-leaning when I'm walking to the South, but I live on the side of a mountain ( :rofl: - okay, that's just plain facetious)( :rofl: - okay, that's just plain facetious)I don't think it has anything to do with political leanings. The percentage of people who believe that the election was rigged seems to be pretty consistent across the board, regardless of political affiliation.In summary, there is a lot of speculation surrounding the 2004 US election and no concrete evidence has been provided to support any claims of electronic tampering. However, given the high percentage

Was the 2004 US election rigged electronically?

• You are left leaning, and think there was electronic tampering of the vote.

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • You are left leaning, and think there was NO electronic tampering of the vote.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • You are right leaning, and think there was electronic tampering of the vote.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • You are right leaning, and think there was NO electronic tampering of the vote.

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
faust9 said:
I disagree with this too. Ballot control is usually pretty tight. Dems get in a tizzy if the ballots are touched w/o a dem representative. The GOP is the EXACT same way. Ballots are usually counted by an independent w/ a dem and a GOP rep standing over the shoulder so tampering here is a little tough. Electronic manipulation OTOH would be a simple matter of a few lines of code. The above code I posted should shift about 0.5% of the vote from kerry to Bush resulting in a total swing of 1%. 1% is significant seeing as states are won/lost by less than that amount from time to time. Would we need a nationwide conspiracy to do this? No, only an Ohio/Florida shift would be needed to hand the results to the nefarious candidate. As long as the source stays closed and the raw data--i.e. vote tallies not so much who voted for whom---stay secret then we will run the risk of data manipulation. More importantly, without thurough review of the code we also run the risk of human error being injected into the voting process unintentionally because of coding errors. No code is perfect especially when one starts working with large projects.

While this is certainly a genuine concern, it is not as easy as you suggest. Had someone really wanted to steal Ohio in 2004 by writing code such as this into an e-machine, they would have had to steal far more votes. Since only 15% of the precincts actually used e-voting machines, they would have had to sway 7% of the electronic votes to create an overall swing of 1%. Believe me when I say that a 7% difference between results predicted by the polls and the actual results is hugely outside of the margin of error and would have been closely investigated afterward. In fact, we saw no such margins in precints using voting machines. In fact, the margins were no different than in precincts that used paper ballots.

[Actually, since there were multiple manufacturers of the voting machines (they were not all made by the same company), one team of code-writers working to influence the election would actually have had to create far more than a 7% shift - at least double that.]

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
If all you guys are saying is "Look, the issue isn't whether or not anything foul took place. The issue is simply that we don't trust the technology." Fine, but I don't know what to tell you in that case. We will continue to do what we are already doing.

Which includes at least:

~Discussing the issues on public forums

~Looking for evidence one way or the other

New evidence is always coming up, every time there is an election. When a programmer claims he was paid to write an undetectable prorgram to "protect the vote" which amounted to defaulting to one candidate (fraud), and when that programmer passes a polygraph on this issue...

...This is evidence of vote fraud. Not evidence that Bush went into ohio on November 1st and tampered with a machine, but evidence of fraud (and in this case, GOP fraud.) There are videotapes of voter rolls being *shredded* in volusia county, and fake rolls being provided. This is also fraud. Etc.

I still haven't seen anyone but me mention the May 2005 Black Box memory card hack.

THis is new information.

Fine, but I don't know what to tell you in that case.

Tell me it seems reasonable to audit Diebold's memory cards, in light of this new information. Tell me you realize the case is not shut, and that you would also like to ensure fair elections.

Have you listened to the non-Americans on this thread? THey are saying "Why don't you guys care?" We've become so divided through our cold civil war that we stick doggedly to one side without realizing how stupid that side actually may be on some points. I am sure we are all guilty of this from time to time.

There will be additional new information, every few weeks or months, from advocacy groups. I think this needs to be an ongoing discussion, with the entire American electorate informed and participating.

pattylou said:
Tell me it seems reasonable to audit Diebold's memory cards, in light of this new information. Tell me you realize the case is not shut, and that you would also like to ensure fair elections.

What case? The case stating that their was any sort of systematic theft of the election on the part of either party is closed. The man who gots more votes and legitimately won more states is in office.

If you simply mean the case that states there were irregularities, and some of these may have been intentional, sure, that case is still open. I never said otherwise.

Have you listened to the non-Americans on this thread? THey are saying "Why don't you guys care?" We've become so divided through our cold civil war that we stick doggedly to one side without realizing how stupid that side actually may be on some points. I am sure we are all guilty of this from time to time.

What side? I'm not a partisan, patty. I don't like political parties in general and I certainly am no fan of Bush or anything one else in his administration. I'm simply on the side of not throwing out wild allegations with no factual basis. The charge that we should continue to better our voting process is not such a charge. The charge that Bush stole the election is. Again, it does not seem that you are making this charge, but this isn't about me and you. There are plenty out there, and in here, who have quite openly made that charge.

There will be additional new information, every few weeks or months, from advocacy groups. I think this needs to be an ongoing discussion, with the entire American electorate informed and participating.

Now that I don't agree with. If you want the people to get riled and pissed and sway with every new allegation put forth by those who claim to be experts, sure. Personally, I don't think this is something that needs to be played out before the public attention. Our votes are far more secure now than they ever were in the past, and the process has gotten better, not worse. Personally, I feel that this will continue to be the case. I don't necessarily have Russ' optimism that things ever have any chance of being perfect, but it would be extremely difficult as of right now for any person to steal an election

I'm not particularly concerned about the Black Box hack at the moment because it would have been statistically impossible for such a hack to sway the election toward either man to his victory in 2004. It is a concern, sure, and Diebold should, and I am sure they will, take care of it. If they do not, somebody else will, and that somebody else will be selling voting machines and not Diebold.

Look, I don't what to tell you. Maybe this is just my infamous penchant for underreaction rearing its ugly face. Maybe it's just that I hate sensationalism so much that the slightest whiff of it makes me cringe and I can no longer see straight. But Patty, I am honestly not worried. Not the least bit. If you want to continue the public discussion, fine, but it should be continued as a discussion. Concerns need to be put forth; not allegations. People are not just raising concerns; they are making accusations, unfounded accusations.

I agree with LYN and Pattylou.

That said, the allegations do get people riled and motivated on both sides. Motivated enough that maybe they will join a forum and discuss their views with other intelligent informed people. This may lead them to learn about issues, and then call, write, or email their representatives and express their will!

This is tiresome.

loseyourname said:
What case?
The case that the machines can be tampered with.

If you simply mean the case that states there were irregularities, and some of these may have been intentional, sure, that case is still open. I never said otherwise.
You are downplaying events ("simply" mean irregularities); you are also unnecessarily polarising the discussion ("Bush stole the election vs. Simple irregularities - you are ignoring the *huge* landscape in between the two.)

I'm simply on the side of not throwing out wild allegations with no factual basis.
"No" factual basis (your words) including ... testimony by a programmer of writing fraud software and him passing polygraph, demonstrated hacks into machines claimed to be secure, video tapes of voter rolls being shredded, ...

Is this part of the "no factual basis" you are thinking about? Are you saying these events *didn't happen?* Or are you saying that they don't pertain to whether or not people are screwing with the votes?

The charge that we should continue to better our voting process is not such a charge. The charge that Bush stole the election is. Again, it does not seem that you are making this charge, but this isn't about me and you. There are plenty out there, and in here, who have quite openly made that charge.
Are you maintaining that to refuse to discuss this issue on the basis of such members, is the best method to reassure such participants in the vote?

Now that I don't agree with. If you want the people to get riled and pissed and sway with every new allegation put forth by those who claim to be experts, sure. Personally, I don't think this is something that needs to be played out before the public attention. Our votes are far more secure now than they ever were in the past, and the process has gotten better, not worse. Personally, I feel that this will continue to be the case. I don't necessarily have Russ' optimism that things ever have any chance of being perfect, but it would be extremely difficult as of right now for any person to steal an election

Again, you are polarising the discussion (IMO). Again, there is plenty of ground for discussion without getting riled up. Are you advocating willful ignorance of reports like BBV puts out, in order to be subjected to fewer lunatics on the internet?

I think most of this present discussion has been fairly level headed (others may disagree and, admittedly, I lost my temper a couple times). I think it's possible to stay informed, without becoming riled up, and I don't think silencing the opposition is a good plan, nor is willful ignorance. Analysis of data is a good plan.

I appreciate your input. Don't feel obliged to continue unless you wish. I primarily responded here because of the extremes that I think you were painting (I pointed out two of them in my response.)

loseyourname said:
...it would have been statistically impossible for such a hack to sway the election toward either man to his victory in 2004. .

IIRC, Florida was divided in 2000 by under 600 votes. And would have gone to Gore. Statistically impossible to swing the votes? Maybe in 2004 (I am taking your word for the moment) but certainly not in 2000 - only one presidential election prior.

Although Ohio was divided by more votes in 2004, complacency could easily lead to another Florida scenario. I am not trying to rile anyone up, but rather to keep people from falling asleep again.

…Critics of Diebold point out that virtually every other machine the company makes provides a paper trail to verify the machine's calculations. Oddly, only the voting machines lack this essential function.
Election problems are just a conspiracy? Can we get a direct answer to this one question--Why, with all the technology available in this country (including Diebold's), is there no paper trail for these voting machines?

SOS2008 said:
Election problems are just a conspiracy? Can we get a direct answer to this one question--Why, with all the technology available in this country (including Diebold's), is there no paper trail for these voting machines?
I'm sure you could find idiotic problems with all sorts of technology. I once had a car that I couldn't check the transmission fluid level. Microsoft put out a program for secure information transfers that was cracked within weeks of hitting the market. Technology is great but people are still stupid.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm sure you could find idiotic problems with all sorts of technology. I once had a car that I couldn't check the transmission fluid level. Microsoft put out a program for secure information transfers that was cracked within weeks of hitting the market. Technology is great but people are still stupid.
So, it comes back to problems with our education system? That figures...

States throughout the U.S. have spent millions of dollars on high-tech electronic voting machines, yet unlike so many other countries, we are unable to provide paper receipts--a key ingredient to preventing voter fraud (e.g., Venenzuela has used this for a recount). :eek:

When they first started in on saying we need electronic voting machines I was already thinking about this. The first thing that came to mind was the possability of technical problems with printers. What happens when they run out of ink, run out of paper, paper jams, ect... I'm sure that you have had experience with printer problems before. How much hard copy could be lost because of a minor printer malfunction? They should, and could, have found a way around this but perhaps they simply thought it better to cut out that element rather than bother with it instead of any sort of conspiracy to keep votes from being counted.

SOS2008 said:
Er? ... Plausible deniability!?

The first thing that came to mind was the possability of technical problems with printers. What happens when they run out of ink, run out of paper, paper jams, ect... I'm sure that you have had experience with printer problems before.
Running out of ink and paper is certainly not a problem, because that can be prevented by ordering lots of it. Paper jams are easy to fix. In general, laser printers are very reliable, and to suggest that so many would be failing that it wouldn't be prudent to use them is absurd. (Punch cards are much less reliable, as we discovered in 2000). I really don't understand why people don't want transparency in an election. IMO, several things need to happen:

1. All voting machine code needs to be open source, and reviewed heavily by partisan and non-partisan programmers (so that third party candidates are not disenfranchised). Furthermore, the specific architecture of any machine needs to be heavily reviewed (to prevent a party from benefiting from a hardware "glitch"). All code should be well-documented and not arcane, with every line having a precise explanation of what it does. If there are disputes, they should be discussed in a public forum.
2. The code needs to be compiled and downloaded to the machines in the sight of many people, and the compiled code should be matched with every party's idea of what the "correct" code should be. The port used to download the program then needs to be permanently sealed up inside the machine.
3. None of the voting machines should be connected to a network of any kind. Period. In fact, the only external port should be an LPT1 printer port. To transmit the data at the end of the election, it should be printed out on several pieces of paper, each transmitted to the election authority by many different people. Also, a paper tally of each vote should be kept.
4. Finally, each voting machine needs to be destroyed.

Manchot said:
4. Finally, each voting machine needs to be destroyed.
Why? WHat if they need to audit the machine for a bug?

Important point before I continue: pattylou, I need to know your interpretation of your poll. Ie, what is the difference between "rigging" and "tampering"?

edit: used the wrong word...

Last edited:
Manchot, I was with you until #4. Other than that, your plan seems pretty good.

russ_watters said:
Important point before I continue: pattylou, I need to know your interpretation of your poll. Ie, what is the difference between "rigging" and "tampering"?

edit: used the wrong word...

In my opinion the two words are interchangeable. From the Patty's Brain Dictionary (which has not sold many copies):

Rigging: modifying intentionally to effect a particular result.

(in this case, the particular result was "more votes" of unspecified number, but hopefully subtle enough to go unnoticed)

Tampering: Mucking around with, due to dissatisfaction that things may not come out the way you like, otherwise.

(So, the two words in my mind are interchangeable - but if this has led to problems with responses, I apologize!)

"Stealing" would be a different word in this dictionary yet.

Sorry, I should've been more clear on point #4. I meant that the machines should be destroyed sometime before the next election, so that they aren't reused. I didn't actually mean that they should be destroyed immediately.

Manchot said:
Sorry, I should've been more clear on point #4. I meant that the machines should be destroyed sometime before the next election, so that they aren't reused. I didn't actually mean that they should be destroyed immediately.
Why? If they are good, agreed on by both parties, etc - why destroy them?

pattylou said:
Why? If they are good, agreed on by both parties, etc - why destroy them?

Actually it's not that bad of an idea. If identical machines are mass-produced, they could be dirt cheap, so it would be feasible to replace them every four (two?) years. Maybe with different, better models - since when were eight-year old PCs not obsolete? (eh, not a good comparison...) Bottom line, there's a legitimate fear that if such machines were left alone somewhere in a closet for four years, some enterprising villans might switch them out for identical-looking machines with some kind of ingenious backdoors... or, the public could think they might possibly have been replaced with identical-looking machines with ingenious backdoors, causing distrust in the system... You can have the construction, compilation, deployment, and use of the machines thoroughly supervised over a short time period, but with long-term storage... is it really feasible to lock up three democrats and three republicans with every voting machine stored in a closet somewhere, for four years?

pattylou said:
In my opinion the two words are interchangeable. From the Patty's Brain Dictionary (which has not sold many copies):

Rigging: modifying intentionally to effect a particular result.

(in this case, the particular result was "more votes" of unspecified number, but hopefully subtle enough to go unnoticed)

Tampering: Mucking around with, due to dissatisfaction that things may not come out the way you like, otherwise.

(So, the two words in my mind are interchangeable - but if this has led to problems with responses, I apologize!)

"Stealing" would be a different word in this dictionary yet.
In the google definition of "rig" it gives this (one of many definitions): "arrange the outcome of by means of deceit; "rig an election"". Regardless, you are alleging criminal fraud (fraud: "In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain"). Whether there was an attempt to steal by an individual or lot of individuals, whether it was successful or not, its still stealing or attempted stealing, isn't it?

Could you please explain to me how that is different from stealing. I don't see a difference.

A quick google of "bush rig election 2004" shows 9 of the 10 hits using "rig" and "stole" interchangeably - and in the tenth, I can't find the refence to the election.

If that wasn't your intent, pattylou, fine, but the poll is very misleading. Read back over the early responses with that in mind...

Could you please explain to me how that is different from stealing. I don't see a difference.

In your own words, it's the difference between "stealing" and "attempted stealing". You said it yourself. Semantically it may not look like much of a difference, but with a national election you can imagine it would take a heck of a lot of attempting to get a single rig. I mean, a successful rig.

It boils down to the fact that there are thousands of voting precincts, and manipulation at anyone of them is extremely unlikely to change the national result. "Stealing" is three or four order-of-magnitudes above "attempted stealing".

rachmaninoff said:
Actually it's not that bad of an idea. If identical machines are mass-produced, they could be dirt cheap, so it would be feasible to replace them every four (two?) years. Maybe with different, better models - since when were eight-year old PCs not obsolete? (eh, not a good comparison...) Bottom line, there's a legitimate fear that if such machines were left alone somewhere in a closet for four years, some enterprising villans might switch them out for identical-looking machines with some kind of ingenious backdoors... or, the public could think they might possibly have been replaced with identical-looking machines with ingenious backdoors, causing distrust in the system... You can have the construction, compilation, deployment, and use of the machines thoroughly supervised over a short time period, but with long-term storage... is it really feasible to lock up three democrats and three republicans with every voting machine stored in a closet somewhere, for four years?

You need to check the machines before each election whether they are old ones or new ones.

New ones could be tampered with during production.

I don't see that you are more secure with new machines; in either case you need to check them thoroughly before the election.

russ_watters said:
In the google definition of "rig" it gives this (one of many definitions): "arrange the outcome of by means of deceit; "rig an election"". Regardless, you are alleging criminal fraud (fraud: "In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain"). Whether there was an attempt to steal by an individual or lot of individuals, whether it was successful or not, its still stealing or attempted stealing, isn't it?

Let's say Kerry did some rigging of his own.

Obviously he didn't steal the election.

That's the difference between rigging and stealing. Bush "won." We have no idea if some of his votes were legitimate or not. (The same is true for Kerry's votes. )

I don't know with much precision what the actual voter wishes were in the election. I believe the country is fairly "evenly divided" but beyond that I don't know that the election accurately reflects the will of the people. This is not the same thing as stating that Bush stole the election. I am making a ststement of uncertainty.

The fact that I am an American, saying this, about my country - is amazing.

russ_watters said:
A quick google of "bush rig election 2004" shows 9 of the 10 hits using "rig" and "stole" interchangeably - and in the tenth, I can't find the refence to the election.

If that wasn't your intent, pattylou, fine, but the poll is very misleading. Read back over the early responses with that in mind...

I tried that google. With no quotes I got 87 thousand hits. With quotes, I got 0.

I'd like to try a few variations on this google, but I need to replicate yours first. How precisely did you word the search?

rachmaninoff said:
In your own words, it's the difference between "stealing" and "attempted stealing". You said it yourself. Semantically it may not look like much of a difference, but with a national election you can imagine it would take a heck of a lot of attempting to get a single rig. I mean, a successful rig.

It boils down to the fact that there are thousands of voting precincts, and manipulation at anyone of them is extremely unlikely to change the national result. "Stealing" is three or four order-of-magnitudes above "attempted stealing".
But that doesn't fit with how this thread has gone (edit: its also gramattically incorrect: "attempted to rig" and "rigged" mean two different things and this thread says "rigged"). Pattylou herself was the first to bring up the Deibold CEO's quote about "delivering the election". That implies a successful fraud! One of the first pieces of evidence brought up was The Study. Again, The Study alleges succesful fraud.

Further, if you simplify the poll question to be: 'Did anyone, anywhere attempt to manipulate the 2004 election', it becomes a yes or no question with a right answer: the answer is that all elections involve some tampering. That makes for a pretty useless poll though, doesn't it? Some of the early responses imply to me that people saw that and wondered what the point of the poll was, based on that.

It doesn't make any sense to me that this was meant to be a discussion of the hundreds of votor irregularities that were reported. If it was, right from the start, it didn't go that way. That is why I'm focusing on a successful fraud, guys.

Last edited:
You've been trying to nail down successful/unsuccessful fraud; I've been trying to repeatedly emphasize voter distrust.

I started the poll because I have no idea what the general sentiment is on electronic machines among the population. It's not in the news, you don't ever talk about it with you neighbor (for fear of being labelled a whacko), I've scanned Zogby etc repeatedly, no luck. (I'll try again in a minute.)

So, *my* purpose in this poll was to get a rough feel - is the distrust insignificant (~5%) and I'm really a weirdo? Is it significant (maybe 20%) and only among democrats? Is it overwhelming and among both parties?

In that sense I think the poll was informative, but the problems with bias and sample size on a forum like this, diminish the "information" gleaned, considerably, possibly to the point of worthlessness.

Last edited:
pattylou said:
In that sense I think the poll was informative.
I think the poll gave you misleading results because you worded it badly. I'm going to start a new one...

russ_watters said:
I think the poll gave you misleading results because you worded it badly. I'm going to start a new one...
Shouldn't we work together on wording before you start it? you seem hell bent on promoting your view. No offense.

I emailed Pew to ask them if such a poll (voter confidence elctronic machines) has been done. They will respond within five business days.

It doesn't make any sense to me that this was meant to be a discussion of the hundreds of votor irregularities that were reported. If it was, right from the start, it didn't go that way. That is why I'm focusing on a successful fraud, guys.

If Joe Schmoe votes for Kerry, and Joe Schmoe's deceased grandmother also votes for Kerry, that's a "voting irregularity". It's also a fraud, and a felony. If poll worker Bob doesn't notice Ma Schmoe is actually a 23-year old male, it becomes a 'succesful fraud'.

Let's clear up the ambiguities once and for all. I propose the following conventions for classification of the magnitude of a voting fraud:

Level I: Order-of-magnitude of ten fradulent votes.
Level II: Order-of-magnitude of one thousand fro-voes.
Level III: Order of magnitude of one hundred thousand votes, or minimum required to swing one medium-rare state.
Level IV: Order of magnitude of ten million votes, or minimum required to swing one big, gullible democratic republic.

All frauds are assumed succesful.

So, by "stealing an election" we mean a Level III or IV. I'd say both were statistically impossible in 2004 - exit polls, observers, margins of victory, etc., etc., we've discussed this before.

By 'rigging an election', we mean any concerted effort that could possibly (not probably) swing a state like Florida or New Mex in a very close race. Looking at '00, something like 400 votes from a single precinct could have done it. Order-of-magnitude, it's a 'Level II'.

My assumption is, anything that involves concerted activity between poll-workers from multiple precincts is extremely unlikely to be successful.

An easy axiom is, it is impossible to edit votes once they leave a precint - because precinct results are reported by the media. Hence, any national-scale rigging involves something done in hundreds of individual precincts, and involves hundreds of coordinated Level-IIs. Again, hundreds of people are involved, this can't work (edit: except maybe, in a really close race, using electronic machines, a single programmed backdoor...)

Last edited by a moderator:
rachmaninoff said:
If Joe Schmoe votes for Kerry, and Joe Schmoe's deceased grandmother also votes for Kerry, that's a "voting irregularity". It's also a fraud, and a felony. If poll worker Bob doesn't notice Ma Schmoe is actually a 23-year old male, it becomes a 'succesful fraud'.

Let's clear up the ambiguities once and for all. I propose the following conventions for classification of the magnitude of a voting fraud:

Level I: Order-of-magnitude of ten fradulent votes.
Level II: Order-of-magnitude of one thousand fro-voes.
Level III: Order of magnitude of one hundred thousand votes, or minimum required to swing one medium-rare state.
Level IV: Order of magnitude of ten million votes, or minimum required to swing one big, gullible democratic republic.

All frauds are assumed succesful.

So, by "stealing an election" we mean a Level III or IV. I'd say both were statistically impossible in 2004 - exit polls, observers, margins of victory, etc., etc., we've discussed this before.

By 'rigging an election', we mean any concerted effort that could possibly (not probably) swing a state like Florida or New Mex in a very close race. Looking at '00, something like 400 votes from a single precinct could have done it. Order-of-magnitude, it's a 'Level II'.

My assumption is, anything that involves concerted activity between poll-workers from multiple precincts is extremely unlikely to be successful.

An easy axiom is, it is impossible to edit votes once they leave a precint - because precinct results are reported by the media. Hence, any national-scale rigging involves something done in hundreds of individual precincts, and involves hundreds of coordinated Level-IIs. Again, hundreds of people are involved, this can't work.
Agreed. And per my post #53 in the thread on culture war and civil war, use of a word such as "stolen" is contrary to the scientific method of controlling for bias in survey methodology.

I had brought this up in a thread long ago on separation of church and state. The reason for the exit poll anomaly was that many people were block voting. If you knew you were doing something wrong, would you participate in an exit interview? No, so people voting for Kerry participated at a higher level, throwing off the results. But this then gives more serious cause for concern about how block voting affected the election outcome.

As for suspicions of rigging, if you look at my quotes from Wikipedia, you may note the affiliations are all with Republicans candidates. I don't see any reliable evidence posted here indicating possible fraud in favor of Kerry. And since we still can't get an answer to why the U.S. is unable to produce a paper trail when other less-advanced countries are doing it just fine...

Last edited:
The reason for the exit poll anomaly was that many people were block voting. If you knew you were doing something wrong, would you participate in an exit interview?

Could you clarify? I googled 'block voting', and it looks like a legitmate system of election, one that isn't used in the US. What meaning are you considering?

Russ: You may have missed this:

russ_watters said:

I tried that google. With no quotes I got 87 thousand hits. With quotes, I got 0.

I'd like to try a few variations on this google, but I need to replicate yours first. How precisely did you word the search?

rachmaninoff said:
Could you clarify? I googled 'block voting', and it looks like a legitmate system of election, one that isn't used in the US. What meaning are you considering?
I'm referring to politics and the pulpit. This has always existed to some degree, but not to the extent that it reached in 2004, of course because of Bush and his flagrant appeals to the fundamentalist voters. After the election there were a few news stories on the matter. Immediately following the 2004 election there were at least 60 religious organizations that were under investigation by the IRS. There have been more since, most recently this:

"Political North Carolina pastor resigns
Pastor was accused of ousting members who voted against Bush"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7769149/

Here is a site you can link to if you'd like to learn more about this issue: http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=resources_politicsandpulpit

The real extent of this will never be known, because it ranges from subtle reinforcements (which I've witnessed myself, such as email distributions) to the more blatant behavior of the pastor in North Carolina.

Aside from this we have had intense debate here on many factors, such as media suppression and/or bias, etc. It would be interesting if one could quantify each variable, for example:

Props to ban gay marriage = % fundamentalist votes for Bush
Swift Boat Veteran smear campaign = % general votes for Bush
Pro illegal immigration = % Hispanic votes for Bush
Fear mongering on terrorism = % general votes for Bush
Illegal invasion of Iraq = % neocon votes for Bush

And so forth. You add to that possible tampering with election results, even a small percent, and you have yourself an imposter for president--Many nasty things all added up.