PMs and profile visitor messages

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the suggestion to increase the maximum number of messages in the PM box. The question is raised about whether profile visitors get notified when a reply is made and if there is a specific way to reply. The annoyance of not being able to fully delete profile visitor messages is also brought up, with a suggestion to improve or remove the delete feature. The conversation ends with the offer to have the deleted messages removed.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Suggestion: Increase the maximum number of messages in the PM box.

Question: When I get a profile visitor message, I get a notification. Do they get notified when I reply? Do I have to reply in a specific way? (Do I have to click the "view conversation" link first, and reply on the page that appears?)

Something that annoys me: I tried to delete some profile visitor messages, but the messages don't disappear. All that happens is that the text in them get replaced by "This message has been deleted by Fredrik".

Question: Is there something I can do about that annoying thing. Can I delete them for real? If not, I'd rather restore them to the way they were. There's no point of having a delete feature if all it does is replace the body of the message with "this message has been deleted by..."

Suggestion: If there's nothing I can do about those profile visitor messages, then I suggest that the feature that allows us to "delete" such messages be improved or removed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
Suggestion: Increase the maximum number of messages in the PM box.

Question: When I get a profile visitor message, I get a notification. Do they get notified when I reply? Do I have to reply in a specific way? (Do I have to click the "view conversation" link first, and reply on the page that appears?)

Something that annoys me: I tried to delete some profile visitor messages, but the messages don't disappear. All that happens is that the text in them get replaced by "This message has been deleted by Fredrik".

Question: Is there something I can do about that annoying thing. Can I delete them for real? If not, I'd rather restore them to the way they were. There's no point of having a delete feature if all it does is replace the body of the message with "this message has been deleted by..."

Suggestion: If there's nothing I can do about those profile visitor messages, then I suggest that the feature that allows us to "delete" such messages be improved or removed.
Hi fredrik, if you would like me to remove those deleted visitor posts, pm me and I will do it. Mentors can clean that stuff out of your message page.

You are supposed to reply on their visitor message wall which will give them a notification. Like the old facebook when someone would write on your wall, you would in turn right on theirs, and not your own because that is just cheeky.

Fredrik said:
(Do I have to click the "view conversation" link first, and reply on the page that appears?)
That will work.

And let me know if you want your page cleaned up.

Also, anyone else that wants a cleanup of deleted messages, just let me know.

Thanks for the replies, and yes, if you could remove the messages I tried to delete, I would appreciate it.

Fredrik said:
Thanks for the replies, and yes, if you could remove the messages I tried to delete, I would appreciate it.
Done.

Thank you. :smile:

Related to PMs and profile visitor messages

1. What are PMs and profile visitor messages?

PMs, or private messages, are direct messages sent between two individuals on a messaging platform, usually in a private or confidential manner. Profile visitor messages are messages left on someone's public profile for anyone to see.

2. How do I send a PM or profile visitor message?

The process for sending PMs or profile visitor messages may vary depending on the platform, but generally there is a designated messaging or commenting feature where you can type and send your message.

3. Can I control who can send me PMs or leave profile visitor messages?

Yes, most messaging platforms have privacy settings that allow you to control who can send you PMs or leave profile visitor messages. You can choose to only receive messages from your friends or followers, or you can block certain users from contacting you.

4. Are PMs and profile visitor messages secure?

The level of security for PMs and profile visitor messages may vary depending on the platform. Some messaging platforms use encryption to protect messages from being intercepted by third parties. However, it is important to remember that nothing on the internet is completely secure, so it is best to avoid sending sensitive information through PMs or profile visitor messages.

5. Can I delete PMs or profile visitor messages?

Yes, most messaging platforms allow you to delete PMs or profile visitor messages that you have sent or received. This can generally be done by accessing the message and selecting the option to delete it. Keep in mind that once a message is deleted, it cannot be retrieved.